.357 ammo

I finally found the revolver I been looking for a Ruger GP100 stainless with a 6" barrel.I was already to go buy it today,but after looking around it seems the ammo and bullets for reloading are pretty hard to get.Any of you guys finding ammo or bullets?

Also what grain bullet would preform best for deer at a range of 50yrds.

.357 is one of the hardest to find , my buddy bought one of the new Pythons, I got him a 50 round box of JHP , for like $45 and felt lucky that they had it .

I’ve used 180gr, but everyone will have their own thoughts , it’s not my area . Right now I carry the old Black Talons in mine hunting , but it’s a finishing piece mostly .

If i were to use it as a primary weapon , I’d see what Buffalo Bore has in .357 .

Just now, SpacemanSpiff said:

Hard to find ammo. I mostly shoot .38/.357 mag so i feel your pain. Those who is think revolvers are antiquated haven’t tried to buy one or ammo recently. Prices are higher than most anything else. Im considering a .45acp revolver just to mix things up. 

I love wheel guns ! You pull the trigger , they go bang , every time

• Like 1

Rachunter I picked up the same revolver a year ago, the GP100 is a good solid reliable shooter. I did a write up on how I tuned it to my preferences in this section a few pages back.

Ammo for everything these days is hard to come by, I have had decent results in finding bullets for reloading. Right now Midway USA has bullets in stock.

As for bullet weights I almost always fall to a middle of the road weight with just about every cartridge I shoot, these give the best balance of both trajectory and energy. If I do my part and put the shot on target I get good results.

Back when I got my first 357 I found a load in one of the gun magazines I subscribed to using Speer 140gr hps and 146gr hp half jacket bullets. I used that data and had very good results for both accuracy and on several Deer along with a pile of Woodchucks. This year because of difficulty getting 2400 powder and Speer bullets I went with something different component wise because it was available to purchase, Win 296 powder and Hornady 140 gr XTPs, accuracy was good and I used the load on a Deer out of my Henry single shot. A heart shot that was a complete pass through at about 75 yards, the Deer did not go far,  I think the same ammo out of my revolver will produce the same results with a properly placed shot.

I believe 158gr bullets from a good maker will work just as well.

Midway also has Berry's copper washed lead bullets in stock, they are bargain priced and shoot great.

Al

Edited by airedale

8 hours ago, airedale said:

Rachunter I picked up the same revolver a year ago, the GP100 is a good solid reliable shooter. I did a write up on how I tuned it to my preferences in this section a few pages back.

Ammo for everything these days is hard to come by, I have had decent results in finding bullets for reloading. Right now Midway USA has bullets in stock.

As for bullet weights I almost always fall to a middle of the road weight with just about every cartridge I shoot, these give the best balance of both trajectory and energy. If I do my part and put the shot on target I get good results.

Back when I got my first 357 I found a load in one of the gun magazines I subscribed to using Speer 140gr hps and 146gr hp half jacket bullets. I used that data and had very good results for both accuracy and on several Deer along with a pile of Woodchucks. This year because of difficulty getting 2400 powder and Speer bullets I went with something different component wise because it was available to purchase, Win 296 powder and Hornady 140 gr XTPs, accuracy was good and I used the load on a Deer out of my Henry single shot. A heart shot that was a complete pass through at about 75 yards, the Deer did not go far,  I think the same ammo out of my revolver will produce the same results with a properly placed shot.

I believe 158gr bullets from a good maker will work just as well.

Midway also has Berry's copper washed lead bullets in stock, they are bargain priced and shoot great.

Al

I read your thread that's a beautiful gun. Do you have any experience with H110 or imr4227 as of now they are the only powders available.I'd probably have to go with titegroup for the lead bullets unless I can find a load for red dot.I'm ready to pull the trigger on this gun i've wanted it for years.

Edited by rachunter
some spelling

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Do you have any experience with H110 or imr4227 as of now they are the only powders available.I'd probably have to go with titegroup for the lead bullets

2400 is my favorite powder for both 357 and 44 mags, the Win 296 has no flies on it from the limited experience I have with it. Unique is a good powder also giving good all around performance at a lower cost per shot. I have shot ammo with both powders you list, the H110 I think is better for a 357 and it has worked ok for me but my main use for it is loading 22 Hornet ammo. The 4227 is a bit slow I think for 357 in handguns, would probably work a bit better if used in a rifle. A friend of mine gave me a box of 44 mag ammo he loaded using 4227, I did not get very good accuracy with those particular loads out of my Redhawk. If I get around to it I will give what is left of them a try in my Marlin 94 rifle.

I never used Titegroup powder but it has a good reputation for medium loads. I did buy several pounds of Titewad for use in shotguns, relatively new for use in handgun cartridges it is pretty much the same as Bullseye.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

2400 is my favorite powder for both 357 and 44 mags, the Win 296 has no flies on it from the limited experience I have with it. Unique is a good powder also giving good all around performance at a lower cost per shot. I have shot ammo with both powders you list, the H110 I think is better for a 357 and it has worked ok for me but my main use for it is loading 22 Hornet ammo. The 4227 is a bit slow I think for 357 in handguns, would probably work a bit better if used in a rifle. A friend of mine gave me a box of 44 mag ammo he loaded using 4227, I did not get very good accuracy with those particular loads out of my Redhawk. If I get around to it I will give what is left of them a try in my Marlin 94 rifle.
I never used Titegroup powder but it has a good reputation for medium loads. I did buy several pounds of Titewad for use in shotguns, relatively new for use in handgun cartridges it is pretty much the same as Bullseye.
Al

Thanks AL
I found some data for a few powders I already have power pistol,SR4756 and red dot. Always check the “reloading bible” first.
1f4af217e24a70c4ee75e4b8afcf7ccd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I read your thread that's a beautiful gun. Do you have any experience with H110 or imr4227 as of now they are the only powders available.I'd probably have to go with titegroup for the lead bullets unless I can find a load for red dot.I'm ready to pull the trigger on this gun i've wanted it for years.

I am not a reloader by any means, I do however reload for my .357 Blackhawk and Henry. I use the same load as my brother who has put the time into it and does nra reloading classes. It uses H110 and the good thing with H110 a little jug goes a long way.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Thanks AL
I found some data for a few powders I already have power pistol,SR4756 and red dot. Always check the “reloading bible” first.
1f4af217e24a70c4ee75e4b8afcf7ccd.jpg

Power pistol is a pretty good powder , I’ve not used it in my 357 or 44 but it works fantastic in the wife’s  380 and my 10mm. I’m very close to being out of it so a few months ago I found and picked up some Ramshot silhouette. If I like it and when / if powder comes back into stock I might try their enforcer powder for my 357 / 44 mags. I do have a good stock of 2400 though, but hey gotta get it when you see it . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

H110 and W296 are reportedly the same powder. Remember, this is the internet, so please consult a reloading manual. The GP100 is one of my favorites. For plinking up to moderate loads, I like Unique under a 158 semi wad cutter that you can buy in bulk for cheap. Well, they were cheap. Try Oregon Trail or others. For the hotter stuff, I’ve always been a fan H110. I’ve not tried 2400, but it is a popular choice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my revolver the other day. It’s a beauty I already love shooting it and I didn’t even change out the sights yet. I was able to get 200 rounds of.357 and grabbed 100 rounds of .38’s which where blazer’s and the case’s were aluminum kinda a crappy bullet. They fit a little loose in the chamber? The .357’s are pmc bronze bullets they fit and shoot nice. Hopefully I can score a few more boxes of them.
7ad5d4e63c208242687ca512a369751a.jpg
I’ve been look for a GP100 with a six inch barrel for over five years.

• Like 6

On 1/25/2022 at 9:17 PM, onlybrowning said:

H110 and W296 are reportedly the same powder. Remember, this is the internet, so please consult a reloading manual. The GP100 is one of my favorites. For plinking up to moderate loads, I like Unique under a 158 semi wad cutter that you can buy in bulk for cheap. Well, they were cheap. Try Oregon Trail or others. For the hotter stuff, I’ve always been a fan H110. I’ve not tried 2400, but it is a popular choice.

H110 and w296 are similar. However H110 can be temperature sensitive. I prefer H110 over w296. My experience with H110 is a hotter primer makes for a more consistent ignition and burn . I use primarily winchester lpp for everything. I shoot h110 in my 41 mag and my 44 mags. When I switched to mag primers my groups shrunk noticeably in both guns . 

Disclaimer.. always follow published data when reloading and start low and work up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the fiber optic sights for my gun. I like this gun better than I really thought I would. I dialed in the cocked action at 30yrds. I still need a lot of work on the uncocked. I can hit my 12” gong with consistency at 50yrds. But not the 8”
8c07434475faf78f0172365169fb0470.jpg
From right to left hammer cocked,uncocked,cocked,uncocked

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Finally got the fiber optic sights for my gun. I like this gun better than I really thought I would. I dialed in the cocked action at 30yrds. I still need a lot of work on the uncocked. I can hit my 12” gong with consistency at 50yrds. But not the 8”
8c07434475faf78f0172365169fb0470.jpg
From right to left hammer cocked,uncocked,cocked,uncocked

Nice shooting , and just a fyi cocked is shooting single action , uncocked  your shooting double action. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rachunter said:

What’s the point in shooting 38’s I bought three boxes and not only don’t they fit in the chamber there also dirty. I’m sticking with the 357’s
Price wise they where the same.

So you tried the 38’s after you shot. the 357 rounds ? The only difference between 38 & 357 is the length 38’s being shorter . I bet if you cleaned your cylinder you’d find the 38’s fit . 38’s out of a GP is almost like shooing a 22 . 

So you tried the 38’s after you shot. the 357 rounds ? The only difference between 38 & 357 is the length 38’s being shorter . I bet if you cleaned your cylinder you’d find the 38’s fit . 38’s out of a GP is almost like shooing a 22 . 

There loose in the cylinders and tight after shooting them. And yes there very light recoil wise. There federal ammo I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I ordered a thousand rounds of lead and plated bullets the other day,so I’m going to load the 357’s. If you can use the 38 shells shoot me an address and I’ll mail them to you. There’s 150 casing’s

The loose fitting cases of the 38 ammo should not effect their performance, they in fact load in the cylinder easier when using a speed loader. The 38 special cases also work better for light target loads especially with very fast powders like titewad or bullseye, their smaller case capacity gives better ignition with those light 2 to 3 gr powder charges. Those 38 cases can also be loaded with very heavy plus P loads that can come close to 357 ballistics. Make sure they are never used in a 38 spl gun.

Al

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

There loose in the cylinders and tight after shooting them. And yes there very light recoil wise. There federal ammo I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I ordered a thousand rounds of lead and plated bullets the other day,so I’m going to load the 357’s. If you can use the 38 shells shoot me an address and I’ll mail them to you. There’s 150 casing’s

So when you shot the 38’s the case expanded that’s why they came out a little harder. How did they shoot out of your GP ? Did they group well on target ?