College tours

Swamp_bucks

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Looks like my daughter has finally narrowed down her school choices to four or 5.  So we will be trying to tour as many as possible but first up is SUNY Oswego and University of Albany.  Looking like end of march I can line them both up the same weekend for tours. 

University of Oswego is nice. Right on lake Ontario. Try the sub shop for lunch it's legit. 

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

We've hit SUNY Cortland (bleh), University of Binghamton (nice) and will be on the road to SUNY Fredonia tomorrow. Good times. I hope she finds someplace she really likes Bucks. It has a lot to do with their success. 

We talked about BU and she doesn’t want to be that close to home.  Just hope she finds something she’s happy with and doesn’t settle for something.

• Like 2

In a separate Syracuse thread, my boy (a junior) and i did a marathon. Binghamton on Friday night, Syracuse Sat morning, then Hobart, then Ithaca and Cornell on the way home Saturday.

My daughter is all done. Early decision to Muhlenberg around Lancaster, PA. Such a great feeling for her to be done-huge weight off her (and out) shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

In a separate Syracuse thread, my boy (a junior) and i did a marathon. Binghamton on Friday night, Syracuse Sat morning, then Hobart, then Ithaca and Cornell on the way home Saturday.

My daughter is all done. Early decision to Muhlenberg around Lancaster, PA. Such a great feeling for her to be done-huge weight off her (and out) shoulders.

That is cool. My daughter did her first year at Muhlenberg early decision also. Is she theater or sports? 

Edited by First-light

The summer b4 my junior year I attended Syracuse basketball camp put on by Jim bioheim. Personally met with couching staff. Bernie fine visited my family asked my family what my opportunity was. Nothing. Had multiple coaches offer to house me to give me the opportunity to but my family was to proud to except a hand me out. My dad a Korean war vet didn't make much and my mom a house cleaner watched me gave me the opportunity for 1300 to attend. Just to cut this short I returned home and realized I didn't have what it took to make it to make millions in NBA lol. I enlisted myself into the army. Best decision I ever made. Makes you grow up quick real life experience. We to to basic at 17 in Iraq at 18 month b4 turning 19 left at 20 after 14 months. Got 21 college credits while serving. Plus took a few classes. Got out and just couldn't go like everything I thought was right was wrong when I took classes back home what I did overseas was wrong. So I left and went out and found a job. Military is a good setup just pick the right mos i picked infantry lol. Wish all the kids there best at college but give the military a thought plus free college afterwards if you want to attend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Music and theatre.
I was shocked to see how amazing their athletic facilities are.

It's a very nice college. My girl played Field Hockey got a concussion and didn't play again so transfered. Everything about the school is great even the food which is highly rated! Good luck!

It's a very nice college. My girl played Field Hockey got a concussion and didn't play again so transfered. Everything about the school is great even the food which is highly rated! Good luck!

So funny you mention the food. 14th in the country in thinks When we toured in the summer, the head of food came out to meet with us and after his chat asked people their favorite foods. After I told him venison Osso Bucca (to my daughter’s chagrin), he “kept me after class” and we spoke about butchering and game foods.
Hoping their food plan gets my daughter to eat more than pasta and pizza! She’s a waste of a too good school!!!!

One thing I regret is not looking at schools outside of Buffalo. I was paying my own way with no scholarships so I went to community college first to knock out some courses on the cheap then off to UB. I hated the program at UB and 80% of my community college credits didn’t transfer. I got a lot of bad advise from the high school and college. I’m still super bitter about it and it’s been 17 years since I graduated college.

My “rule” for the kids will be you don’t have to attend college but you do have to pick a career not just a job and if you do choose college it has to be a degree with a job that PAYS and don’t be afraid to look out of town/state.

• Like 2

One thing I regret is not looking at schools outside of Buffalo. I was paying my own way with no scholarships so I went to community college first to knock out some courses on the cheap then off to UB. I hated the program at UB and 80% of my community college credits didn’t transfer. I got a lot of bad advise from the high school and college. I’m still super bitter about it and it’s been 17 years since I graduated college.

My “rule” for the kids will be you don’t have to attend college but you do have to pick a career not just a job and if you do choose college it has to be a degree with a job that PAYS and don’t be afraid to look out of town/state.

Ditto. Exact same here. I see all the options now and wish I went to a place like Cobleskill for culinary and conservation. But back then didn't make those decisions.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk