TICKS!!

deerpassion

This is a family program. I can't reveal suchs things.

Seriously, I didn't realize he was on me because I never checked there when I showed/inspected. It was until a two days later when I had an itch and decided to scratch that area and felt a bump. He had fatten up nicely by then.

Edited by Elmo

just to be sure, everyone is taking tweazers and grabbing as close to the head as possible and applying steady pressure till he lets go right!!!?// otherwise that head'll pop right off n stay in you, that's how infections and even greater risk of lymes transmition occurs...

Seriously, I didn't realize he was on me because I never checked there when I showed/inspected. It was until a two days later when I had an itch and decided to scratch that area and felt a bump. He had fatten up nicely by then.

Hehe... At least you caught it in time.

There are ticks in every part of NY. Here is a link to reported cases of lyme disease as well. Yes they are more abundant in the eastern parts but they are in your woods too. I recall reading about what provokes an abrupt outbreak of ticks with humans and if I recall correctly is has alot less due to weather than it does food supply for the little critters like mice that they are more frequent to come in contact with. A bad acorn crop and resulting in a loss of the critters in that area for example leads to a higher chance of human contact with ticks as there is less blood meals in the area. I live just east of lake O and I have taken 2 ticks of me one of the wifey, 2 off the dog and 1 off the cat. 3 years ago I said the same thing some here have said. I have never seen a tick before in 40 years of living here. Well that is the case no longer or has been in a few years. Just be careful and make it a nightly activity to spice things up with the lady of the house inspecting each other for ticks lol.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/maps/interactiveMaps.html

• Like 1

It would never have taken me that long to find it.

The acorn and resulting mice population we had was a big cause from what I read. The weather just seems to be a factor yet is supposedly not as much as you would think... You would think a good freeze would make a big dif but apparently they can survive it.

Edited by NFA-ADK

I had to pull one out of my arm a couple of years age and the head stayed in. Had to dig at it with a needle and tweesers for a good 20 min. to get it all out. If I had to do that to the hardware I still be crying.

I'd never seen a tick in my part of WNY (Catt/Allegany counties) my whole life (though I'm only 30) and had never seen a tick until last fall. Suddenly we were crawling with them.

We use great precaution with spray and even still, after hutning all morning I pulled five of them off of my clothing. None scored a bite so far that I can tell.

Research suggests that the number of mice and small rodents has the greatest effect on how many ticks people pick up from the papers I've read.

I contracted lyme disease when I was 12 from a different part of the state when I was off in girl scout camp. For some people, a round of antibiotics can nuke it if it's caught early, however some unfortunate folks have chonic problems from it. I do, and have had problems for 18 years now, and let me tell you, it is often pretty terrible! I have my good days and my bad days.

Also be aware that the bulls-eye rash does not always form when the disease is transmitted (though it is a good warning when it does show up!). Not trying to scare anyone-- I don't want to say anything that keeps people from enjoying the woods-- I'm just saying to be careful. It's not worth messing with Lyme.

Jennifer..I hunt in Portville. Thats the first place I ever saw a tick and that was around the time you were born. They have been there at least since then.. Thats where I found that one in my arm. Any deer we bring home have to stay in the back of the truck or on the ATV trailers, well away from anything you bring in the house. It's bad down there. I could go on... but its bad.

Edited by ants

Jennifer..I hunt in Portville. Thats the first place I ever saw a tick and that was around the time you were born. They have been there at least since then.. Thats where I found that one in my arm. Any deer we bring home have to stay in the back of the truck or on the ATV trailers, well away from anything you bring in the house. It's bad down there. I could go on... but its bad.

For sure. I probably worded that wrong. I live in Portville, and ticks have always been here. What I was trying to say is that their numbers fluxuate, and overall in the region they have been higher than average since 2011. They can vary a great deal based on locality-- even from one mile to the next. I had personally never had a tick on me (that I've found!) from this region until this year, though I recall years that my uncle would bring home deer that were loaded with ticks.

As an example, behind my house, I have 14 acres of thick woods and brush that I regularly walk, and I regularly see 14-18 deer at a time back there (unfortunately). Our mouse population is also high, and yet I haven't picked up a tick back there yet. 3 miles away at a hunting spot, we pick up ticks every time we go (since this past winter). I don't know why-- deer certainally have a large range and you'd think that they'd be transporting ticks quite a bit.

Overall my message is to be careful. Lyme disease sucks.

I was in Tompkins county yesterday setting out a couple of game cams and came back and had two on me,now I know I,ve been gone a long time but I grew up on this farm and have never seen them like this before , I think it was this crazy weather that has been going on they got a head start on getting some trim lol

There's plenty of ticks up here in the North Country. That is the real "Upstate" LOL

Last year I loaded up my deer in the back of my SUV and when I got home I picked at least 8 of those suckers running around. I never used Sawyers before but did buy and sprayed my camo before going Turkey hunting last week around Hunter, NY. Didn't get any on me but then again I heard from various people that the tick problem is not that evident in that area. Hmmm.....maybe I should bring some down from my area. LOL sort of like re-stocking trout. LOL

I talked to a guy from a ocal pest company and he said that since we had a mild warm winter the ticks just multiplied ten fold. usually the cold kills off the "herd" during the winter enough to control the population during the warmer months. Hopefully next winter will be colder... for all our jewels sake

I talked to a guy from a ocal pest company and he said that since we had a mild warm winter the ticks just multiplied ten fold. usually the cold kills off the "herd" during the winter enough to control the population during the warmer months. Hopefully next winter will be colder... for all our jewels sake

looks like stock in permytherin just went up lol ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read an article in the Plattsburgh Press Republican and it predicts a banner year for ticks. I'm a mixen the concoctions...........maybe I should carry a small bottle of spray with me all the time......or what about a battery powered time release spray. Hmmmm.........the next new invention. LOL

Just read an article in the Plattsburgh Press Republican and it predicts a banner year for ticks. I'm a mixen the concoctions...........maybe I should carry a small bottle of spray with me all the time......or what about a battery powered time release spray. Hmmmm.........the next new invention. LOL

well i know if you treat you clothing with permytherin like sawyers its good for up to like 6 or 7 washes... seen em die crawlin up my pant leg after the 4th wash anyway.... i just bought another bottle to lather up with for scouting ....