TICKS!!

deerpassion

how have the ticks been this year! just tryin to get a feel on what to expect when i get up there... down in the swamps of south FL, usually only get one or two on me in the summer, as our bow season opens in august and september depending on what part a the state your in... is this something ya;ll regularly deel with during summer scouting and the beginning of bow until you get that first cold snap?... i have even used sawyers permetherin, but i don't like to cause there has to be a little bit of oder even though its dried on your clothes... works well though... even for skeeters... simply put... HOW BAD ARE THEY??? especially you turkey hunters?

If you get Sawyers spray, soak your clothing... put in a plastic bag for 24 hours... Hang dry... You will never even know Ticks exist anymore...

ya thats good stuff, i got the yellow bottle that sprays on and you just let it dry, but you can def smell it when you spray it, so as far as scent control im not thrilled about it, but then again, who's thrilled about getting a tick... had one on my neck in archery that i had no idea it was there until i was outa the woods cleanin my face paint off in the mirror of the truck at the gas station down the road .... SOB's

If I remember right, you are going to be in Erie county. Most places in Western NY, you dont worry much about them. Ive lived here almost all of my life and have yet to see one or know anyone that lives out this way that has had one on them.

ya your correct, i was wondering about that region cause it's mostly frozen most of the year, but i know those little buggers will hang out until that spring thaw and then get busy in a hury...

I am so afraid of ticks I was scared to click on this post!!! Thanks for the heads up Grizz1219, I will give it a try. Lyme really scares me because I have seen it's effects 1st hand...

ya i found three on me at seperate times this past year, only one latched on... but i guess i got it in time or it didn't transmit anything cause i didn't get the bullseye rash so i was lucky,,, lady i work with that just moved back from jersey said she got bit up there and had the rash n everything, got some antibiotics and was fine, guess your ok if you catch it in time, so ALWAYS check yourself !!!! especially in your hair, they love it there... luckily i always have a shaved head so checkin with my fingers is super easy...

I never seen one in my entire life. I was starting to think ticks were a myth. Then this past season I had 3 latch on to me on 3 seperate instances and tons crawl all over my clothes. Crazy season.

I've been hunting south/central Madison County for 33 years. For 31 of those years I never saw a tick or heard of a tick. Now they are everywhere. Be sure to use repellant with Permethyn.

ya im sure this mild winter has ALOT to do with it...

i've got the sawyers permetherin spray, seen em die crawlin up my leg.... good stuff

what part a the state you in ?

i'll be in western NY, erie, genesee

Not quite that west...I'm in Steuben County (Region 8). I can vouch for the permethrin. Me, my father and 3 buddies hunted KY a few weeks back. Last year the other 3 guys pulled ticks off after every hunt. This year we all treated our clothing and no one found a tick the entire 5 days we hunted. It's far cheaper and just as effective to mix up your own rather than buying the Sawyer's brand stuff. You can make almost 5 gallons of tick spray from a 32 oz. bottle or 10% permethrin at a price of a round $20.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I'm spraying down all my clothes tonight and again tomorrow with Sawyers before I head out. Using deep woods on my skin, neck etc just in case one of the SOBs sneaks through. Going to spray down my blind as well with the Sawyers. I had a tick on me last year when I was getting ready to go into the shower. SOB was on my right shoulder. When I went to grab it it started trying to dig into my skin. I jumped in a hot shower and watched it go down the drain.

Coupla tips on spraying your clothing with permethrin: Be sure to spray several inches INSIDE of pants and shirt cuffs...ditto for inside of shirt collar and pants waistline. As added protection, buy a camo bandana...spray it well and then wear around your neck while hunting.

Coupla tips on spraying your clothing with permethrin: Be sure to spray several inches INSIDE of pants and shirt cuffs...ditto for inside of shirt collar and pants waistline. As added protection, buy a camo bandana...spray it well and then wear around your neck while hunting.

I pulled one off my family jewels this past year. HOW THE HELL did he get there?!?!

Not quite that west...I'm in Steuben County (Region 8). I can vouch for the permethrin. Me, my father and 3 buddies hunted KY a few weeks back. Last year the other 3 guys pulled ticks off after every hunt. This year we all treated our clothing and no one found a tick the entire 5 days we hunted. It's far cheaper and just as effective to mix up your own rather than buying the Sawyer's brand stuff. You can make almost 5 gallons of tick spray from a 32 oz. bottle or 10% permethrin at a price of a round $20.

n how do you mix it up or dilute it i should say? how many ounces permytherin to water? and where do you get straight permytherin up there?

Don't know what the heck is up with that stupid smiley face in my last post? It was supposed to say Region 8...

Anyhow, here's some perrmethrin info: I used the 10% stuff and mixed one cup of permethrin to 20 cups of water.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1466835