Chenango county living?

rachunter

I'm hoping there's a few member's actually living in Chenango that could give me a feel for the living in the area as far as town,county and residents.I'm looking at a beautiful house and property. I originally wanted something closer to the Pepacton or Cannonsville reservoirs but this place is nice and not that far away.My main concerns are any ordinances that would not allow my to shoot or hunt on my property{10 acers] I'd also like to know how the actual Residence are the the area,after looking around in Delaware and Sullivan county's it seemed most people where weekenders.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend in that area who is a die-hard hunter (IE not a weekend warrior). He said they do have some issues with trespassing from time to time with respect to the weekenders you noted. They seem to be willing to play the ignorance card. Occasional theft of cams. It's not defcom level 5 stuff but he is just aware of things a bit more.

Usually he gets a good three year old buck every year there, but he laments that they are not as big as some other areas of the state. Overall he enjoys the place. He probably has 15 bucks from there with average three year olds around 100-110" for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Use this link for local codes and ordanices. https://www.generalcode.com/library/# 

I can't speak for all Towns but I know I have seen Towns have their firearms code listed there in the general code. Another way to find out is to google the Town's building department/planning department and contact them that way.  

I called the county and they pretty much said where not lawyers.I'm going to try the sheriff's department next.

47 minutes ago, phade said:

I have a friend in that area who is a die-hard hunter (IE not a weekend warrior). He said they do have some issues with trespassing from time to time with respect to the weekenders you noted. They seem to be willing to play the ignorance card. Occasional theft of cams. It's not defcom level 5 stuff but he is just aware of things a bit more.

Usually he gets a good three year old buck every year there, but he laments that they are not as big as some other areas of the state. Overall he enjoys the place. He probably has 15 bucks from there with average three year olds around 100-110" for the most part. 

I should've clarified the weekend warrior comment.My friend has a house in Roscoe for 20 plus years he said over the last few years people have been buying up the house for weekend get a ways.Him and his son shoot and ride quad's and the complaints are getting worse every year.I don't ride but sure do love the fact I can walk out my door and shoot anytime I feel like it.As far as the hunting goes it's 10 acres i'm not really going to hunt it as much as the watershed and state land.Up here by me I can shoot all i want,but a few neighbors have a stick up there butts about hunting.

There is a ton of public land in Chenango County as well. I am one county to the east and imagine it is pretty similar as far as hunting pressure goes. Non existent in bow season and crazy for opening weekend of gun,then it tapers off a lot.

It is a rural county with rural values.

Swampbucks is the man to talk to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I should've clarified the weekend warrior comment.My friend has a house in Roscoe for 20 plus years he said over the last few years people have been buying up the house for weekend get a ways.Him and his son shoot and ride quad's and the complaints are getting worse every year.I don't ride but sure do love the fact I can walk out my door and shoot anytime I feel like it.As far as the hunting goes it's 10 acres i'm not really going to hunt it as much as the watershed and state land.Up here by me I can shoot all i want,but a few neighbors have a stick up there butts about hunting.

As long as you are 500 feet away from occupied dwellings, not near a school, church or a park you should be fine. Especially with 10 acres. If I wasn’t violating any of those I wouldn’t worry about neighbors. Your using your land for what you bought it for

• Like 2

I lived in Chenango County, and still own property there. I know that I shoot as often as I like. Other than opening weekend of gun season, deer hunters are mostly absent except for the weekends.Private Land to hunt is harder to find unless you lease, but there is a lot of state land. Like BowmanMike, I am just one county over, and not very far at that. 

Phade mentioned the quality of deer, and I can confirm that. I have hunted my whole life, and killed a lot of nice bucks, but have never cracked 140, and only three over 130. I will say that you can get some large bodied deer in the private lands, and once in awhile in the state lands. Two year olds are easy to get if you have even a little bit of desire and knowledge.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I made an offer tonight. It’s a nice piece of property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, I don’t have much experience with chenango but I can tell you it’s for sure a better choice to Sullivan or Delaware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Where in the county are you looking at? I’ve lived here my entire life.

Guilford off 206 

How is it as far as downstater's and out of stater's coming up and bringing there BS with them.That's my main concern as it was one of my main reasons for leaving long island.

As for the hunting I saw deer all over the place,but how's the small game?

Edited by rachunter
spelling

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Guilford off 206 

How is it as far as downstater's and out of stater's coming up and bringing there BS with them.That's my main concern as it was one of my main reasons for leave long island.

As for the hunting I saw deer all over the place,but how's the small game?

Well you are about 4 mins from me.  Most of the people who come from downstate all seem to have camps and stick to them hunting wise.  I never see anyone from out of state.  

nice area though plenty of stateland tons of great small fishing ponds and lakes, there’s a main snowmobile trail that goes through guilford, not to far from Norwich that has a bunch of stuff at the fair ground all summer plus the classic car museum.   Oxford has a farmers market every Saturday morning from spring until fall, bunch of little apple festivals and pumpkins stuff in the area.  Nice corn maze not to far from guilford a local farmer does for the community every fall.  Also guilford lake is a great little fishing spot where you can also drop a boat in if you want.  

small game is ok I can share some spots with you if you would like.  It’s not like it was however very few people seem to hunt small game in the area so you would have free range of a bunch of stateland.  

Otherwise it’s a very laid back place in my opinion people are usually willing to help people out.   Also there is a bunch of little gun shops and my bow guy is great so if you need anything I can point you in a right direction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Awesome great to hear. Hopefully everything goes through with the realtor.I'll reach out to you when i'm all settled in if you don't mind.

Thanks again!!!

Anytime. Just sent you a pm also means you might be able to make it my opening day chili dinner as well. 

Edited by Swamp_bucks

We live over the line in otsego county. I have been a builder in  otsego and chenango for 30+ years . The chenango county and local town building /fire code offices are easy to work with for permitting . If you are making improvements requiring zoning approval they are easy to work with also. We have a good hunting and fishing community around here. Many rural residents in chenango and otsego counties are struggling to keep heads above water. As you ride through our counties you definitely see it . There’s is good opportunity in the area . hopefully with decent people transplanting themselves here we will be re-building a better rural ny. Good luck 

• Like 4