white bird

allblue bandit

Well bandit, that is a strange bird that you got there. I guess there are color phase variations in just about all critters. I would almost consider having a full mount made of it ...... if its' not too late and if it's not too expensive. Otherwise, you have some great pictures of it and they will always help you remember a true trophy.

That is an awesome bird!!!! What a cool color phase, and if you have the money I would definitly mount that bird - even if I didn't have the money I would mount it - HA!! Very cool!! Have you ever seen that one before or others like it in your area?

Taken from NWTF:

One of the most common color variations is the "smoky gray" color phase. Turkeys with this color appear white from a distance. Upon closer examination, however, it is obvious that these birds' appearance is due to a loss of brown or bronze pigments while the black areas of the feathers remain. Every year, the NWTF receives reports of turkeys in a smoky gray color phase, and many turkey hunters have seen at least one during their time in their field. This recessive trait seems to occur more frequently among hens, but is still occasionally seen in gobblers.

While this trait is probably detrimental to survival--it makes the turkey more visible--some smoky gray wild turkeys may survive for several years. One smoky gray hen in Georgia was observed with a normal brood of poults each spring for five years. Melanistic (black) and erythritic (red) color variations also are reported each year, but are not as common as the smoky gray phase. Many of these turkeys are striking in appearance and stand out visibly when seen among flocks of normal looking wild turkeys.

The least common color variation is albinism, or the total lack of color pigments. True albinos are seldom found among wild turkeys.

Most hunters see color variations for the first time and think that the condition is a result of crossbreeding with a domestic turkey. Many wildlife biologists used to think the same thing. But, these differences occur regularly in flocks that have no contact with domestic turkeys.

Cool turkey, that appears to me as it could be a Narasansett Turkey which is type of Heritage Turkey. I wonder if someone raised them in that area and one escaped. My dad had a few of these birds and one escaped (this was a couple years ago), and a few weeks later we seen him out in a field about a 1/2 mile away with a flock of hens.

http://heritageturkeyfoundation.org/

• Like 1

I have seen a couple of these birds in summer flocks...

The last one I saw was along Rte. 414 near Chambers ( between Watkins Glen and Corning) about ten years ago.

Congrats, my friend..You have a very unique trophy, well worth mounting..

Nice bird but I have one question that no one mentioned yet. It is a hen, I thought you could only shoot Tom's and Jakes in the Spring season. There something that I don't understand here. Can someone answer this for me.