Influx of DB drivers lately

turkeyfeathers

So the other day I/m driving thru the hills of Rte 77 and then 20A . Double line and hilly, some arse decides to pass myself and two cars in one pass on the double yellow line and hilly area. We were all doing 62 in a 55 zone. At intersection I put down my window and yelled don't drive like an A hole.

Not even 5-10 minutes later a bunch of cars and myself are ascending a very large and blind what's over the crest part of the road. A convertible jaguar passed all 4-5 cars at some incredible speed. As I crest the top I notice the jaguar almost hit a motorcycle coming the other way. I mean close, real close. Again double yellow line. A few minutes down the road I see that jaguar at a cemetery and the wife walking to place flowers. I pondered turning around and telling him what I thought but continued on. Minutes later I stopped at a gas station to get a Gatorade. When I come out guess who's pumping gas. The 60-65 year old in the jaguar. His wife sitting in the car. I pulled up next to him and said " are you the same A hole that just passed on the double yellow line and almost killed the motorcyclist?' Yes he replies like he was pounding his chest and he says " need for speed. doing 120. " I blurt out your a @#$%in A hole. You must have little Richard (not what I said exactly)syndrome. Drive like a normal person before you kill someone. And handed him " the bird". I was so pizzed at his response. His wife just sat there with a duh look on her face. So sick of jerks taking other peoples lives in their hands by driving without a care in the world. Sunday the roads were packed with motorcycles. You can't teach people common sense sadly. Sorry, had to vent. Drive safe everyone

P.S. These same roads are the one a very good friend of mine and amazing hunter was hit head on last year. He was an inch from death and had his young son in his truck. He now has no movement of left side, can somewhat walk with the use of a cane and will never be the hunter/person he used to be. Without God on his side he wouldn't be here today.

Edited by turkeyfeathers

I so understand but please be careful...it is those type of "A-holes" that know the law. Such an exchange could have had an officer knocking on your door with a road rage arrest...Not that you had road rage but such an exchange could be viewed as threatening..He wouldn't be worth it...

PS... in the last 10 years I have noticed the road lines mean little to a lot of drivers as well as safe distance...really? proctologist behind the wheel :rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

I so understand but please be careful...it is those type of "A-holes" that know the law. Such an exchange could have had an officer knocking on your door with a road rage arrest...Not that you had road rage but such an exchange could be viewed as threatening..He wouldn't be worth it...

PS... in the last 10 years I have noticed the road lines mean little to a lot of drivers as well as safe distance...really? proctologist behind the wheel :rolleyes:

Excellent point. Little good comes from this type of confrontation. The other drivers know they are doing something wrong and don't care... that it annoys you to the point of confronting them only provides additional reward. At worst, it can turn into a violent incident - not good if you flip them off and they decide to run you off the road.

The only solution to this type of driving is more enforcement. I drive a road in the Catskills - speed limit 55 and everyone drives 55-60. Where it drops to 45, everyone drops speed with it. Occasionally there is the faster driver, but not unreasonably fast - you usually see them pulled over by a marked car a mile or so down the road.

When I asked around about this "lawful driving" phenomenon, I learned the answer. Some years back a pregnant women (pedestrian) was stuck and killed by a car. After that, they stepped up enforcement of the speed limit. After people started getting tickets, they figured it out. A tragedy that it took a death to affect a change, but the enforcement did the trick.

It really isn't worth it to let others "get to you" when driving. I used to be bothered to the point of saying something or flipping people off. When I realized how stressed driving was making me, I decided to let it go. Why should I let other people control me like that? (upsetting me enough to chew them out for the way they drive).  On a long trip my wife actually keeps count of the number of times I drop the "F" bomb over other drivers... so I am not completely cured. :) Still, I don't make it personal or look to pick fights with other drivers... it changes nothing and can only create a more dangerous situation. I have been in "driving arguments" in the past and am lucky no one got hurt. These days, I do what I can to avoid stress.

Edited by jrm

Very valid points but I guess it's hard for me to let some "stupidity " go. Guess I need to change my ways of thinking for stuff like this. It takes a lot to rile me up.  I do however think the "little Richard" syndrom comment was classic with his wife sitting in the car :rolleyes:

Very valid points but I guess it's hard for me to let some "stupidity " go. Guess I need to change my ways of thinking for stuff like this. It takes a lot to rile me up.  I do however think the "little Richard" syndrom comment was classic with his wife sitting in the car :rolleyes:

I hear you, but look at it this way...

After your encounter, the guy sped off in his Jag. His driving didn't change one bit. He and his wife laughed about the "a-hole" who said something at the gas station. He's laughing at your expense - you provided some great entertainment for his day. 

Meanwhile, YOU are the one who is "riled up" (i.e. stressed) over the incident.

He probably forgot about it and is already laughing at the next guy who flipped him off. You are still bent enough about it to post the incident online.

So who really "won" the encounter? Despite his unsafe driving, a life insurance actuary would probably give him a longer life expectancy than you. :)

Life's too short. The more you learn to ignore idiots (difficult, considering the sheer number of idiots around) the happier you will be. Trust me, I've been there (and still visit on some days). :)

Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

Far more injuries and deaths occur due to motor vehicle accidents than firearms, in this state and country. Where's the SAFE. act for motor vehicles?

Police and the courts do indeed need to take reckless driving more seriously, perhaps as seriously as they do drunk driving. Here is the law they should be enforcing: 

S 1212. Reckless driving. Reckless driving shall mean driving or using

any  motor  vehicle,  motorcycle  or  any other vehicle propelled by any

power other than muscular power or any appliance or accessory thereof in

a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper  use  of

the  public  highway,  or  unreasonably  endangers  users  of the public

highway. Reckless driving is prohibited.  Every  person  violating  this

provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

> Actually, there is a bill pending to put more teeth in this law:  http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S3724-2015

> I see it is an "Unclassified Misdemeanor"

> Sounds serious per some lawyers:

> Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in New York State. A conviction means a criminal record. Police officers have wide latitude in determining the definition of reckless. Judges also have discretion to impose severe penalties, even for a first offense. As a result, drivers may commit a minor infraction and still find themselves facing serious penalties, including fines, five points on their driver's license, suspension, revocation and even jail time. Collateral effects can include increased insurance premiums and a criminal record.

> Make no mistake about it: reckless driving is an extremely serious offense in New York. It carries with it severe penalties, and a conviction could indefinitely stain your driving record. Reckless driving (VTL 1212) is considered to be one of the most intense tickets you can receive. It is commonly charged as a catch-all vehicular offense. Usually, drivers charged with this offense are facing allegations of running lights, speeding, improper lane changes, and other more minor traffic infractions.

Reckless driving is an unclassified misdemeanor which means that it, unlike a minor traffic violation, it can lead to a permanent criminal record. Also, depending on how reckless you were, you could go to jail for up to 30 days for a first offense, 90 days for a second offense, and 180 days for a third offense. This could make background checks in an already down economy yet another barrier to finding or keeping a job.

Aside from the criminal penalties, a reckless driving conviction will put 5 points on your driver’s license and you will incur a fine of up to $300.

Reckless driving will cause your auto insurance rate to go up tremendously. A recent study conducted by Insurance.com revealed that the average insurance hike amounted to an increase of 22% for a reckless driving ticket!

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my new job has me in a truck that is pretty old and loaded with product. I give the old girl some time to get up to 40 mph. I'm on the road early and there are so many people that get pissed that I drive…….the speed limit! Screw them, I want to have a sticker put on the back of the truck that reads,

I drive the speed limit you should of gotten up a bit earlier. That is some scary stuff you described.

Take a deep breath and let it go, confronting other drivers as some kind of enforcer of bad driving can go real bad fast when you run into guys who just are Looking to crack a skull .

Or put a cap into your ass....................

Scary stuff out there.  I was on the 290 tonight on the way home from work, around 5:30pm.  Big back up in the east bound section between Sheridan and Main St.  Traffic is stopped.....

Here comes a chick packin' the mail on the shoulder (rumble strips all the way) and she had at least a mile to go before the exit.  I REALLY wanted to just mooch over onto the shoulder and put an end to her BS but thought the best of it.

These days a stunt like that on my part could result in a visit from the fuzz, yankin' my blued and stainless steel hardware right before my eyes. :(