Expanded AR's Who is not excited?

bigpaul

Guess I gotta drag her out in the woods with me again this year to sign the tag for me.

NOW your talking. Post up some pics!

You just aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? Do you have pics of LAST years buck that YOU shot and put granny's tag on? That is what you said, no?

If the difference between the transfer of a DMP for a doe and a buck only tag is that confusing to you, best thing would be to hang out at home. Maybe the A/C in your office has given you a brain cramp.

• Like 1

The key is getting acurate percentage for "success rate " by getting reporting rates right.

You are NEVER going to get it 100% right, there are way too many variables. We are dealing with reality and wild animals free to roam wherever they choose. All we can do is get it close.

The only possible way to all but eliminate any kind of botched numbers would be to make it so that nobody can hunt without an approved guide, who must account for every point on a deers head, and make sure every tag is accounted for. If thats what you want, go to Europe.

I'm guessing the Buck tag is not transferable because it can be used in the whole state,where as the Doe tag's are not.Call me greedy but I will not even sign over my tag's to my own family this way I know for sure what is taged is reported,I will give them some meat for their freezer but never my tag's.

Yep ...still need to turn up those air conditioners....lets see 103 year old granny...not thinking he was serious but giving an example .....

Now for all the sniping...there is not one of you I would bet...and never bet on anything....that doesn't know some one that doesn't use there wifes...daughters...or even sons buck tags...not right... a real nerve hitter for me...but it happens all the time...and I don't need to repeat what happened when I took my safety course so many years ago...PS...not a slam Bubba....

why not? whats the difference?

I can have my 103 year old grandma sign over a doe permit, but not her buck permit? why?

I will take a GUESS at this.

The main objective of buck harvest ( * until the recent AR) is recreation. The main objective of doe harvest is population manipulation to balance BCC with the SCC.

In recreation, it is important to spread the resource out to as many people as possible. Hypothetically, if someone kills two bucks they may be taking an opportunity to kill a buck from someone else. It differs with doe harvest - recreation is not the first objective from the DECs perspective. That is likely the rational behind allowing the transfer of DMP and not allowing the transfer of buck tags.

The doe tags I think are called Deer managment permits? The number of permits in each designated unit is based on population goals for that unit. The population goals vary from unit to unit... Each unit has a somewhat theoretical biologial carrying capacity and a social carrying capacity. The DEC strives to balance the bcc and scc in each unit. One example of an influence on bcc in a particular unit would be supply of browse or other food sources. Examples of influences on scc would be road kill history or crop depredation.

* The recent AR restrictions are popular with some hunters but the implementation may have more to do with concern over the age structure of bucks in the deer population than it does with hunter satisfaction. It has been suggested that when inmature bucks do most of the breeding that the rut is protracted. That protracted rut is thought to cause the allready undeveloped bucks to go into the winter with little body mass or fat. Don't be surprised if the next idea is to eliminate hunting during the rut...

Because - Its a main tag, which is not meant to be transferred. There are less buck then does, and does are used to control the pop? I don't know why for sure but those are some reasons.

This is why...

1) Polygyny Mating System which means one male breeds "many" females.

2) Sexual Dimorphism which is a fancy term to describe an animal that the sex is obvious.

When you have that mating system and discernable sexes, you can harvest nearly every male without much population change, perhaps even population growth. Harvest of females will reduce population or slow its growth.

Correct that the adult sex ratio favors does, but only when hunters selectivly shoot bucks, the sex ratio at birth is fifty-fifty. Under nutrtional stress (poor habitat) the sex ratio of fawns actually favors bucks - up to 72 bucks to 28 does, according to one source.

Other animals have different mating systems such as monogamy which requires one male to every female and/or the sexes may not be discernable. Those animals have entirely different ecologies and require entirely different harvest regimes.

Edited by mike rossi

I was joking. My grandma is only 88 and does not have a hunting license. I was just looking for more informational answers, and now I got them. Thank you.

I thought you were going to say she is only 88 and shoots her own deer.

This statement should have people lined up to have you come lease their property Biz.

I always follow the rules.....Last year I signed over 1 of my DMP tags to a member of this forum who I have never even met before.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

From Catskill Mountain News:

Mandatory antler restrictions a boon to hunters and economy

in Community News

By Brian Sweeney

Restrictions on antler sizes will be expanded to the Catskills during the 2012 white-tailed deer hunting season, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has announced.

The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) unveiled a number of changes of last week as part of its Five-Year Deer Management Plan.

The DEC will extend mandatory Yearling Buck Protection with Antler Restrictions (a minimum of three points on one side) into Wildlife Management Units 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S and 4W — located in Sullivan, Ulster, Delaware, Greene and Schoharie counties — as called for in the Deer Management Plan.

This change, which was previously in effect in other parts of the state, is designed to ensure the long-term health of the deer population.

“The DEC is working to develop a systematic and objective process to guide future decisions regarding antler restrictions or other buck harvest strategies to best satisfy the desires of New York deer hunters and stakeholders,” officials said, explaining the strategy.

Old rules hurt herd

Under previous guidelines, allowing the harvest of bucks with a minimum of one three-inch antler resulted in most bucks in NY being taken as immature juveniles before they can reach adulthood, according to the DEC.

The new rules allow the DEC to market to hunters the promise of a plentiful supply of adult bucks.

In a study by Cornell Surveys, commissioned by the DEC, data showed that most hunters in New York favor greater restrictions on antler sizes.

A number of representatives of sportsmen’s groups praised the DEC for expanding the Antler Restrictions (AR).

Joe Montalbano, from Ulster County, remarked, “We have really seen excellent results in our area. It used to be that a fork horn was the normal buck but now with antler restrictions the new normal buck is an eight-pointer.”

Change of heart

He added,”I have to admit when Antler Restrictions were proposed in 2004 I strongly opposed them at our federation meetings. To anyone who is opposed to it now, I would say, ‘Go for it 100 percent — it really works!’ Our club, Marbletown Sportsmen, for the first time in its 62-year history has harvested an 11-point buck and other clubs are having the same success.”

Delaware County Economic Development spokesman Bill Willis praised the new AR,

Boost to business

“Most deer hunters are dissatisfied with their buck hunting and this is clearly shown in the fact that New York is losing two hunters for every new hunter recruited. This will have large economic impacts to the state. New York deer hunters contribute over $700 million to the economy.”

Jay Martin, Big Game Chairman of the Federated Sportsmen’s Clubs of Ulster County, was also enthusiastic about the expansion of AR.

“Protecting yearling bucks results in a large increase in the age of the bucks harvested. For example 3.5-year-old buck harvest is up 258 percent in the AR areas of Ulster and Sullivan counties. Both Ulster and Sullivan counties have harvested the biggest bucks since the late 1920s in the AR areas and the overall buck take is up 5.7 percent over the pre-AR harvest.

Dick Henry, a recently retired New York DEC biologist, said the Yearling Buck Protection program is having an enormous impact on the state’s deer herd.

“I have never seen a single white-tailed deer management program that has invigorated and excited hunters more. Hunters in the current AR areas are hunting a deer herd that many generations of NY hunters have never experienced,” he stated enthusiastically.

In other news, the state will also adjust bear hunting seasons to remain concurrent with deer seasons. DEC’s wildlife personnel believe that retaining a consistent season structure for big game hunting is currently preferable. It was noted, however, that future bear management might necessitate deviation from this approach.

from issue dated 07/17/2012