Expanded AR's Who is not excited?

bigpaul

Been hunting Delaware County for 40 years.

Seen good times and bad.

Past 20 have been not so good with the loss of most of the farms.

The AR's will increase poaching and decrease the overall number of hunters.

I believe DEC gave out too many doe permits and the yote's are killing the deer.

I would support one buck rule and cut back on doe permits.

I believe this has all been brought on by TV and the I only shoot 150+ deer with long G2's and all of this crap.

Yote's should be killed year round, no season.

I remember all of the bucks I killed. Spikes and all. And I am proud of them all.

When did we start needing a lease, tractor, food plot, camera, feeders, climbing tree stands, blinds, sentblockers, doe piss, and all of the stuff TV says you need.

Used to be Jeans, long johns, wool jacket, good boots, work gloves, watch cap and your rifle.

• Like 5

I agree with Yotes year round at least year by year trial. IF I see one, its usually late summer in a field and thats in a good year. I don't want to exterminate them, I value their part in the system, just want to help see some rabbits and more deer once again.

"I remember all of the bucks I killed. Spikes and all. And I am proud of them all." RIGHT ON!!!

"I believe this has all been brought on by TV and the I only shoot 150+ deer with long G2's and all of this crap." RIGHT ON!!!!

"When did we start needing a lease, tractor, food plot, camera, feeders, climbing tree stands, blinds, sentblockers, doe piss, and all of the stuff TV says you need." RIGHT ON!!! Its commercial, can't stop it. It's like asking new generations what Christmas is all about, apparently not Jesus's birth anymore. It's about whether or not the kid is gonna get an iPad or iPhone :P

Well, I'm not excited about AR's because this forum proves that they aren't that magic bullet. Let's see all those trophy's taken from the AR areas and compare to the rest of the state. They don't stack up. Never mind that AR's focus on trophy rather than age/health. It's like saying that guys with big wangs are healthier. Something just doesn't add up.

I am excited that we finally have Steve863 and Doewhacker back!

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD
  • Like 2

No AR's in the state. It should be your choice, you pay for the tag. The DEC needs to come up with some type of full-proof way to stop people from using someone else's deer tag. I see too many people out there shooting a buck early and continue to hunt on a doe permit. While looking to fill the doe permit they have a backup tag, the wife or friend, and will shoot another buck if it comes along.

No AR's in the state. It should be your choice, you pay for the tag. The DEC needs to come up with some type of full-proof way to stop people from using someone else's deer tag. I see too many people out there shooting a buck early and continue to hunt on a doe permit. While looking to fill the doe permit they have a backup tag, the wife or friend, and will shoot another buck if it comes along.

I agree 100% on the tag deal. I dont know how they would do it, Maybe a manditory check station to get your next tag. Something so your name and numbers are on record somewhere. People will find a way aoud it no matter what law the put inj place. I have always said the dec has really no clue on the true population in most of the counties. There are so many that fill others tags and dont report the kill and i know of many that dont report their own kills and never have.

I also think we need mandatory reporting of unfilled tags, or you dont get any the next year.

Don't understand that statement....when I reported my doe kill in bow...a recording told me exactly how many tags I had left to fill...so not filling them .....would also be in the records at the end of the season

All I have to say is....for the ppl that claim NYS doesn't have big bucks...they need to subscribe to NY Outdoor News.......

I've tried pointing this out before. They post 100's of bucks taken every year in NY older then 1.5's - most from non AR dmu's. And I'll bet only a fraction of hunters taking such bucks send in photo's.

I'm sure this will get turned around to say "imagine the magic that would happen with ar's)

I agree 100% on the tag deal. I dont know how they would do it, Maybe a manditory check station to get your next tag. Something so your name and numbers are on record somewhere. People will find a way aoud it no matter what law the put inj place. I have always said the dec has really no clue on the true population in most of the counties. There are so many that fill others tags and dont report the kill and i know of many that dont report their own kills and never have.

They need to make reporting public record. The website should be designed for real time information. You shoot a deer and report it. Information goes right into the data base and is public record for anyone to check. It would be cool to know at any point in the season how many deer were taken from your area and by whom!! That way people can be held accountable. DEC officers should be able to scan your tag with a smart phone and call up everything you have reported for that year. Heavier fines for those of us who break the law.

• Like 1

Id rather see 1 buck per season, no matter how many seasons you hunt. I would like to see year round yotes too. I dont agree with no damage permits or AR for the entire state.

I also think we need mandatory reporting of unfilled tags, or you dont get any the next year.

Well maybe not no damage permits but limit them down and make the farms allow hunters on their property to hunt. Way to many farms get way to mant DMAP'S and then a hunter asks to hunt and you get.Nope only family hunts.. I know some farms down near letchworth that are that way and they get like 60 plus tags. Reports and have also found dead deer on the park with gut shots in them during bow season. I realize some need them but i also think some are givin way to many. Open the door to some hunters and there would not be so many deer and so much crop damage!! As far as AR, I think NY could be a great trophy state with AR, 1 buck per hunter and shorter seasons. Looks like that wont happen any time soon with an oct 1st opener in the tier to match the northern zone.

MIke103,

While I can't say I agree with everything you say there (I use a climber, and doe P often enough), I know exactly what you mean. And I agree that ARs seem to have been at least partially borne out of the whole "TV hunting" mentality (lease, tractor, food plot, 4 wheeler, game camera, etc.). While none of this stuff singularly ruins hunting, I think that it all sort of takes away from the real meaning behind being in the woods and the appreciation that comes from hunting hard, and eventually being rewarded with a real deer. Not a TV deer that was passed on every year of its life until it was a giant, dumb 27 point "shooter".

Good luck!

MIke103,

While I can't say I agree with everything you say there (I use a climber, and doe P often enough), I know exactly what you mean. And I agree that ARs seem to have been at least partially borne out of the whole "TV hunting" mentality (lease, tractor, food plot, 4 wheeler, game camera, etc.). While none of this stuff singularly ruins hunting, I think that it all sort of takes away from the real meaning behind being in the woods and the appreciation that comes from hunting hard, and eventually being rewarded with a real deer. Not a TV deer that was passed on every year of its life until it was a giant, dumb 27 point "shooter".

Good luck!

AR's weren't born out of the TV hunting mentality, but that was the tool that was used to sell the idea of managing for quality whitetails based on given habitat. AR's were not originally an idea for bigger bucks to hunt... it was a concept developed in conjunction with regulated doe harvests to help balance buck to doe ratios and develop better age structure among buck populations in given habitats. It was taken to the level you see on TV and sold as a way to increase the amount of trophy bucks opportunities to help sell the concept to hunters that had a hard time with the idea of passing on young bucks. Foods plots came on later from the original concept of better habitat development which was to plant natural browse to aid deer during the harsh winter months... that simple concept turned into the mass crop planting you see now spawned by "Biologic" type companies who saw an opening to help sell there product as a management tool. Although I am a huge proponent of deer management... I agree that it has slipped away from it's original concept to something a bit more like deer farming an less like natural managment.

Edited by nyantler

They need to make reporting public record. The website should be designed for real time information. You shoot a deer and report it. Information goes right into the data base and is public record for anyone to check. It would be cool to know at any point in the season how many deer were taken from your area and by whom!! That way people can be held accountable. DEC officers should be able to scan your tag with a smart phone and call up everything you have reported for that year. Heavier fines for those of us who break the law.

Great idea and pretty simple to implement too. To bad the DEC is horrible with managing their data. I tried to get some historical records and I still have not had luck.

Don't understand that statement....when I reported my doe kill in bow...a recording told me exactly how many tags I had left to fill...so not filling them .....would also be in the records at the end of the season

Ive explained my thoughts on it multiple times. At the end of the season, everyone that bought tags has to account for all of them. If they dont, no tags for the next season. It would help cut down on non-reports. I know quite a few people that dont report because they see no need to, and there are no reprocussions.