Best place for trail cams "now" ?

nybuckboy

Just a thought. Where do you fine hunters think is the best place to set up trail cams right now... in the woods or along the edge of corn fields, etc.

I was thinking that big bucks might like to hang where they are less likely to hit there developing tines on tree limbs but maybe I'm wrong about this.

I jumped several deer bedded in corn fields on Sunday while walking out to hang cams. Was rather surprised to say the least. Certainly not a food source, but they're bedding in it already. I'd look at hedge rows along corn fields, water sources, and field edges. I'd not opt to bump into a bucks bedding area.

Try to find him coming out just after dark...he's not bedding far from that point. But, all of that can change too, come fall, so I'd be more concerned with just inventory right now.

Edited by phade

I would not get too excited about where thy are now,they most likley will not be there in 2 months from now.

Bedding in the corn rows now does not mean they are feeding on it.

A good amount of the farms near me are saying the corn crop just stinks this year,they are just going to harvest it all for silage and not try to gather up the curnarles up for feed.

I agree. Trail cams at this time of year are just for getting us excited about the deer in the area. I wouldn't expect to hone in on a stand location until the last few weeks before the season.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the type of land and area surrounding. Down here in Putnam County, on small parcels of land with houses and roads and lakes around, majority of the time the deer we see in July and August are the same exact ones we saw in November. At most these deer are traveling 1/2 mile.

Good question, I can't seem to get on to the big boys this year for some reason?

I think alot of it goes back to the water/drought you brought up in another thread. I think it impacted some food sources to a degree, too, as mentioned, which is probably a game changer for some.

Any luck on water holes?

Not necessarily true. Depends on the type of land and area surrounding. Down here in Putnam County, on small parcels of land with houses and roads and lakes around, majority of the time the deer we see in July and August are the same exact ones we saw in November. At most these deer are traveling 1/2 mile.

OK. Fair point. I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't be seeing the same deer. I just think you shouldn't expect to see them on the same trails in Oct-Dec as you see them on in the summer.

I think alot of it goes back to the water/drought you brought up in another thread. I think it impacted some food sources to a degree, too, as mentioned, which is probably a game changer for some.

Any luck on water holes?

I've thought about trying water sources but I really don't have any access to good ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting plenty of deer in front of my cams, just not the bigger bucks in the area.

I've thought about trying water sources but I really don't have any access to good ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting plenty of deer in front of my cams, just not the bigger bucks in the area.

With the recent rains we had (Im north of you I think)...I'd consider hanging a cam over a puddle off of a tractor path or field path (the kind with a hedge row near cover). It may get hit hard in the short time there is water in it. Worth a try.

I'm not having good luck finding decent bucks at all this year either! When we went for a long period without any rain, I moved my cam to our pond, thinking for sure I would get a lot of pics there. There's a soybean field ~ 250 yards away, so I thought it would be a convenient place for them to stop before or after feeding. Plus, there's a great thicket/bedding area 100 yards away from the pond, so I thought they might get up and stop by for a drink on a hot afternoon. There's no other water source around for 1/2-3/4 of a mile. The only buck pics that I got were of a spike and a 5pt! Had the cam there for 3 weeks! I'm stumped... I thought for sure the pond would be a magnet right now!

Anything that resembles food is a good place to start. The Acorns are falling already so I will be finding a place up on the mountain in the Oaks this weekend. Ive had my cam out since January in various spots and I just got a tiny spike buck last saturday as the first deer with antlers on it.

its still hot n dry, even with recent rain, the bigger bucks don't move much and are in the creek bottoms where i live. deer flies are aweful this year, most deer are someplace cool, thick and resting and escaping the flies cornfields that are tall enough are a good respite from the flies and the heat.... Usually the bachlor groups are out in hayfields now but there is little regrowth due to lack of rain, heavy dewy nights will help that over next two weeks or so. Nut drop is occuring but most are not filled with "meat" look nice but are nothing but hollow shells. Clover is starting to perk up and grow with cooler damp nights. tough year to patter summer deer. but weather seems to be changing

If you have it, set up a cam on the edge of a soybean field. Deer are usually hitting them pretty good this time of year as the plant is very high in protein.

Although I agree with the other comments about deer not necessarily being there in the fall. Imo they tend to have a summer area and then a fall staging area. But it is doesn't necessarily mean they will leave the place entirely.

The other thing is it's a great way to get a general idea of what size bucks are roaming in the area as well.

Just be careful that you are not checking the cams too frequently as you might end up bumping that big buck to the next County.