local walmart denied me the right to buy ammunition

apoallo

So I went the the local walmart the other day to purchase a few boxes of .223 with my brother in law ( he tried to purchase .45 ACP for a rifle) and the cashier asked to see our permit for the ammo......I replied there is no such this as an ammo permit. then she replied she wanted to see the permit for the rifle.....??? again i replied there is no such thing as a rifle permit. I then asked for the manager and wound up in an argument over this because he said in order to purchase the rifle ammo I needed to show them a permit. eventually after about a 15 minute debate and being denied to make the purchase I left the building and. I suggested that he check the local laws because he was mistaken and the computer system was wrong.. its a shame cuz usually their prices were cheaper then everywhere else..

Although most workers in the ammunition department are mildly retarded, the only time I have been asked for a permit was when I purchased 22 ammo. I told them it was for a rifle and they sold it to me, as they should. It may be because the Walmart's by me did away with firearm sales a long time ago.

Yea my walmart did away will firearm sales as well. This was the first time I had this happen. I have purchased ammo many times in the past from this store. I will try again the next time i need ammo but I may write a letter to the regional manager as well, as stated above. unbelievable!!!

Edited by apoallo

Its because of the ,45 ammo unless you show a valid pistol permit they wont sell that to you, the .223 was denied because you tried purchasing both at the same time, Been there done that, went in the next day and bought the rifle ammo i was after in the first place.

Tip for buying "pistol ammo" at wal-mart. All the wally worlds i've been to sell "the shooters bible". If your buying ammo for a rifle that shoots a pistol round, flip open the book and show it to the associate. Has worked for me many occasions in the past.

Don't know about Monroe county but the Dick's Sporting Goods here in Westchester won't sell any ammo that can go into a handgun without showing a handgun permit. I specifically asked about 22LRs and they wouldn't even sell me that.

The problem with major chain stores is that they typically hire the average joe to work in their stores. These workers are not gun experts so their knowledge of the system is limited. My brother bought me a rifle from Dicks before as a gift and it created a fiasco. Before they realized it was a gift, we went through the paper work. (Us city folks have to register our long guns) The worker there didn't know how to fill out the form so I had to literally teach him how to fill it out.

Don't know about Monroe county but the Dick's Sporting Goods here in Westchester won't sell any ammo that can go into a handgun without showing a handgun permit. I specifically asked about 22LRs and they wouldn't even sell me that.

The problem with major chain stores is that they typically hire the average joe to work in their stores. These workers are not gun experts so their knowledge of the system is limited. My brother bought me a rifle from Dicks before as a gift and it created a fiasco. Before they realized it was a gift, we went through the paper work. (Us city folks have to register our long guns) The worker there didn't know how to fill out the form so I had to literally teach him how to fill it out.

Does Dick's in White Plains sell handguns?

I had the same problem in a Long Island Walmart trying to buy .44mag ammo. The pimple faced kid asked me for my pistol permit. I then talked to a manager and explained that it was for a rifle and they sold me the ammo. This was some years ago.

This is from another site. The person who wrote this is a instructor at a seld defense, gun training and NRA instructor. This is what you need to know and do the next time you are asked to show a permit:

Recently, there has been a rash of reports from students about the following: When you go to buy ammo, the store asks you for your permit, takes it, writes down your name, permit number, and amount of ammo purchased in some 'book'.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL

Although any store can place any restriction or policies on the sale of any item to any person as long as they do not discriminate under the federally protected criteria, some are going way above and beyond.

From the BATF:

Q: Are the ammunition record-keeping requirements the same as for firearms?

A: No. No records are required for ammunition other than armor piercing ammunition. Disposition records must be kept by licensed manufacturers, importers, and collectors for transactions in armor piercing ammunition.

[27 CFR 178.125]

No retail store is required to collect ANY info regarding the sale or transfer of ammunition. Some have even made copies (front and back) of the permit as well.

NY State law requires you to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. There is no mention of a permit. If you go to get ammo and they ask you for anything more than 'possibly' to look at your permit, not take it from you and copy any info from it, then ask to see a manager. Ask them why they need to do what they are asking. If they say anything like "It's a law" then have them prove it. Show you the "law". (Don't worry, it does not exist)

It's one thing to have ridiculous policies that do not make sense, but it is a whole other level to pass the buck and say that "It's a law" when it is not. They are preying on the fact that we are all too milling to 'fall in line' when someone says "It's a law. You have to do this" when we don't even have the idea to actually verify.

Obviously, you could be faced with a couple outcomes: They stick to their policy and you can't get the ammo unless you provide what they ask, they give in and allow you to purchase the ammo without you having to provide the irrelevant info, or you simply walk away and refuse to give them your money.

Just keeping you informed.

I pay the extra money to purchase my ammo from a dealer, Just so I dont have to deal with that crap. If they are sellings guns they should have a competen employee with some knowledge.

I agree.. I would rather pay a bit more and buy from someone that supports gun ownership like my local gun dealer.

This is from another site. The person who wrote this is a instructor at a seld defense, gun training and NRA instructor. This is what you need to know and do the next time you are asked to show a permit:

Recently, there has been a rash of reports from students about the following: When you go to buy ammo, the store asks you for your permit, takes it, writes down your name, permit number, and amount of ammo purchased in some 'book'.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL

Although any store can place any restriction or policies on the sale of any item to any person as long as they do not discriminate under the federally protected criteria, some are going way above and beyond.

From the BATF:

Q: Are the ammunition record-keeping requirements the same as for firearms?

A: No. No records are required for ammunition other than armor piercing ammunition. Disposition records must be kept by licensed manufacturers, importers, and collectors for transactions in armor piercing ammunition.

[27 CFR 178.125]

No retail store is required to collect ANY info regarding the sale or transfer of ammunition. Some have even made copies (front and back) of the permit as well.

NY State law requires you to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. There is no mention of a permit. If you go to get ammo and they ask you for anything more than 'possibly' to look at your permit, not take it from you and copy any info from it, then ask to see a manager. Ask them why they need to do what they are asking. If they say anything like "It's a law" then have them prove it. Show you the "law". (Don't worry, it does not exist)

It's one thing to have ridiculous policies that do not make sense, but it is a whole other level to pass the buck and say that "It's a law" when it is not. They are preying on the fact that we are all too milling to 'fall in line' when someone says "It's a law. You have to do this" when we don't even have the idea to actually verify.

Obviously, you could be faced with a couple outcomes: They stick to their policy and you can't get the ammo unless you provide what they ask, they give in and allow you to purchase the ammo without you having to provide the irrelevant info, or you simply walk away and refuse to give them your money.

Just keeping you informed.

The thing is that the person behind the counter is only following store policy. They most likely don't know why thier doing it., so no point in arguing with them. Kind of like arguing with a child or a brick wall.

The thing is that the person behind the counter is only following store policy. They most likely don't know why thier doing it., so no point in arguing with them. Kind of like arguing with a child or a brick wall.

Ask to see a manager, ask him to show you the law that allows them to ask for a permit. Then if they can't produce it again don't get mad tell them you are going somewhere else. and write a letter or email the coporation. We need to be or become proactive! If we just keep taking it and act like we are wrong or doing something wrong we will looked at as being or doing wrong. We need to remember this is a right granted to us by the constitution if we keep accepting these kind of treatment we get what we deserve! Watch Unlce Ted he is becoming the voice of gun rights, and he speaks plain language, he isn't nasty just says it like it is. We are acting like the victims AND WE ARE NOT!

Edited by kgun12

I see where your coming from but I feel that they (places like Dicks, Wal Mart, etc.) just shouldn't be selling guns and ammo. I know the retail industry and it wont change due to the fact they hire non skilled people for 8 bucks an hr. They need to keep them in check by imposing these rules. You have no idea how pissed I get at the age of 42 to have some teenager scan my license for a six pack.