send letters for crossbows in NY

And again, compounds have a greater range then recurves - the bows the bowseason was started for. With that reasoning then compounds should be pushed back out of bowseason into their own - maybe the late mz?

Actually should only be 2 seasons - ALL bows in bow - all guns in gun.

let's make this simple.....pull up a ballistic chart for your 44RM. look at a heavy bullet and a lighter one  with the same or close muzzle velocity, then check the down range ballistics

You are not getting it.  The heavier bullet cannot be launched at the same MV from my .44...it will always start slower.

But you can learn something from gun ballistics.  Look at the rate with which the two weights are shedding velocity....which loses its velocity more quickly?  That's right....the LIGHTER one.

We are talking about the physical principle of inertia....bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, etc.  That Newton was one smart dude.

And again, compounds have a greater range then recurves - the bows the bowseason was started for. With that reasoning then compounds should be pushed back out of bowseason into their own - maybe the late mz?

I agree that your reasoning would support that separation.

Of course, that has nothing to do with whether or not crossbows should be allowed in bow season.

Try to stay on track.

How then would you explain a separate season for MZ and rifles?  They both share gunpowder as the method for propulsion, yet we exclude rifles from MZ season.

single shot VS multiple....breech loaded and the season was set aside for the primitive style to start with. It has evolved with the inclusion of inlines and then allowing optics use....that season has undergone changes to meet the needs of the State and the participants. Much like the bow season will be doing with the inclusion of the crossbow

let's make this simple.....pull up a ballistic chart for your 44RM. look at a heavy bullet and a lighter one  with the same or close muzzle velocity, then check the down range ballistics

You are not getting it.  The heavier bullet cannot be launched at the same MV from my .44...it will always start slower.

But you can learn something from gun ballistics.  Look at the rate with which the two weights are shedding velocity....which loses its velocity more quickly?  That's right....the LIGHTER one.

We are talking about the physical principle of inertia....bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, etc.  That Newton was one smart dude.

I totally get it. both bullets can be fired at the exact same velocity...I guarantee it. the powder charge would be the variable. just like the poundage setting on a bow. a lighter arrow and a heavier one can be launched at the same velocity from teh same bow.

single shot VS multiple.

Oh....so its method of propulsion and the fact that it is a single shot.

But wait....we don't allow single shot centerfires in MZ, either.  Got to be another reason that we exclude them.

At the end of the day, we exclude centerfires from MZ because we recognize them as different.

Anyone (who is being honest) will recognize that crossbows are different from bows.

The only question is....are they different enough to warrant exclusion? 

Instead of discussing that question, all of you guys fill the air to create a smoke screen while you attack anyone who believes differently than you.

What a great group of guys....no wonder I dislike crossbows and their advocates.

The heavier bullet cannot be launched at the same MV from my .44...it will always start slower.

That Newton was one smart dude.

Want to bet on that?

Newton didn't know squat about firearms or cartridge's.

I can make a lighter bullet the same velocity as a heavier one.

The bottom line is: if it has a string and limbs it's a BOW.

single shot VS multiple.

Oh....so its method of propulsion and the fact that it is a single shot.

But wait....we don't allow single shot centerfires in MZ, either.  Got to be another reason that we exclude them.

At the end of the day, we exclude centerfires from MZ because we recognize them as different.

Anyone (who is being honest) will recognize that crossbows are different from bows.

The only question is....are they different enough to warrant exclusion? 

Instead of discussing that question, all of you guys fill the air to create a smoke screen while you attack anyone who believes differently than you.

What a great group of guys....no wonder I dislike crossbows and their advocates.

Way to cherry pick a few words out of what he said. Why dont you quote the whole statement? Oh, because your "point" would no longer make sense. You talk about smoke screens? What do you call the lies, personal attacks and misinformation you have spewed? You cant even back any of it up. Pathetic.

The heavier bullet cannot be launched at the same MV from my .44...it will always start slower.

That Newton was one smart dude.

Want to bet on that?

The bottom line is: if it has a string and limbs it's a BOW.

LOL...I agree bpb....only thing I can comment to that..."no child left behind"...sad really

Want to bet on that?

OK, genius....now that we have handloaded our cartridges so they launch different weight bullets at the same velocity......calculate the rest of the equation and derive the answer to the question.

Which slows faster (falls more?)

Hint:  Consider a tractor trailer and a honda civic, both going 65mpf on a flat and straight interstate.  We simultaneous slip both into neutral....which coasts farther?

Want to bet on that?

OK, genius....now that we have handloaded our cartridges so they launch different weight bullets at the same velocity......calculate the rest of the equation and derive the answer to the question.

Which slows faster (falls more?)

Hint:  Consider a tractor trailer and a honda civic, both going 65mpf on a flat and straight interstate.  We simultaneous slip both into neutral....which coasts farther?

off the ballistic charts

Muzzle/100/200/300/400/500

180 grain-2750/2550/2359/2176/2001/1835

150 grain-2750/2552/2361/2197/2005/1840

throw a pile of variables in like Ballistic coeff. sectional density, bulet constructiion....much the same as an arrow. broadhead design...shaft construction and size...fletchings. It isn't a lab out in the woods and the comments on how a crossbow bolt drops is accurate...science or practical experiece...it does....

I'll tell ya what arrowflinger, you're not even in my class when it comes to shooting or reloading. I know more about velocity,pressures,fps,weight and force than most people learn in a liftime.

You're nothing but a cheerleader jumping up and down singing the same song for the last 21 years.

People on here know who I am and yet you sit hidden. Why don't ya toss out who you are and your expertise and then we'll all see apples to oranges.

Better yet we'll meet for a public debate no notes allowed. :O

You talk about which sheds velocity faster, who cares, dead is dead.

That's what I don't like about forums, is all the experts who can copy and paste like a talking head.

And yes I am an expert in my field~ :P

Bottom line is: crossBOWS are legal in NY~

and arguing/debating with you is a waste of our time , because,

crossBOWS are legal in NY~ :)

No ego goals here just pure fact~

Now that the crossBOW is legal in NY, maybe the forum admins will add it to the season openers.

248 days left until SZ Bow Season (Oct 15)!

229 days left until NZ Bow Season (Sep 26)!

283 days left until SZ Regular & crossBow Season (Nov 19)!

255 days left until NZ Regular & crossBow Season (Oct 22)!

anytime government  regulations are invovled these debates will occur - IMO it's a personal choice and my approach will be what's under my ability to control

I own/have permission to hunt 5 different pieces of property - no one will be allowed to use x-bows there...as far as everyone else  "you are what you do" and need to accept the affects/consequences of your choices

anytime government  regulations are invovled these debates will occur - IMO it's a personal choice and my approach will be what's under my ability to control

I own/have permission to hunt 5 different pieces of property - no one will be allowed to use x-bows there...as far as everyone else  "you are what you do" and need to accept the affects/consequences of your choices

I think that is a perfect way to approach it because it leaves it up to choice...your choice to manage the property as you see fit and the choice of those hunting with you ...if they want to use one....they can choose to go elsewhere or comply

Ok no crossbow in early season then how about crossbow oct1 thru 14th then reg archery oct 15 to frir before 3 sat in nov. The bow season cam stay "pure" .

Fine by me toss in ML too!

OMG but they'll shoot al the big bucks! LOL

Nah really, I've proposed every date from Sept to Feb. to the DEC [at their asking for how to improve the seasons]. AND every time they don't do squat. Because it will interfere with the coyote hunters, small game hunters, bow hunters, snow mobilers,Xcountry skiers, dog sled races, hikers, dog walkers on and on and on.

It is a tough rope to walk. I have buddies that snowmobile...their trails are closed until we are done with deer season.

The hunting season is long enough and we should be content with its length. I would bet that any attempts to lengthen the season would be met with severe oposition and polarize the anti hunting community that much more.

It is a tough rope to walk. I have buddies that snowmobile...their trails are closed until we are done with deer season.

The hunting season is long enough and we should be content with its length. I would bet that any attempts to lengthen the season would be met with severe oposition and polarize the anti hunting community that much more.

I would bet if it were proposed to lengthen it ....it might meet resistence. I think a pull back of an earlier bow start to Oct 1st might go fairly un-noticed because of the hunting that goes on in the state in that time frame anyway.

Now they can ride along the canal, where we can't hunt any longer.

Maybe the season' should be 3 weeks long & kill every thing that's brown.

Then those 3 day a year hunters will not miss any football.