send letters for crossbows in NY

OK, lets see if we have this straight.

40 years ago, compounds may or may not have been illegal.  In any event, they were allowed into the bowhunting woods 40 years ago.

Before compounds were in the woods, crossbows were illegal.  40 years ago, when they decided to allow compounds into the woods, they still determined that crossbows should remain illegal.

In the 40 years since compounds were allowed into bowseason, they STILL do not feel that crossbows should be allowed into the bowseason (even though the "precedent" had been set with compounds.)

That about sum it up?

That's too bad....good luck to you. 

Have you looked into the draw lock provision that passed with the crossbow in gun season bill?

My understanding is that allows the use of a draw lock for those with a permit during bowseason.

Arrow,

As the law is right now you have to be almost a parapalegic to qualify for a crossbow or draw lock in this state right now. Guys like Biz would not be able to utilize one as the law currently is.

True on the crossbow.

Not true on the draw lock.  They changed the rule to allow them with a permit.  Should be legal starting this year.

Do you have a link to that? That may help my father if he meets the requirements

That's too bad....good luck to you. 

Have you looked into the draw lock provision that passed with the crossbow in gun season bill?

My understanding is that allows the use of a draw lock for those with a permit during bowseason.

Arrow,

As the law is right now you have to be almost a parapalegic to qualify for a crossbow or draw lock in this state right now. Guys like Biz would not be able to utilize one as the law currently is.

True on the crossbow.

Not true on the draw lock.  They changed the rule to allow them with a permit.  Should be legal starting this year.

Do you have a link to that? That may help my father if he meets the requirements

The DEC hasn't updated their website (in, like, 3 years) but if you google the 2010 NY crossbow bill you'll find it.

Ask anyone that was hunting at that time in NY.

Arguements where they where not bows, where too easy, and would ruin the bowseason.

Sound familiar?

yea that was the case back in the 70s, compounds were like rifles and you could shoot right thru a concrete block with one, hunters would be killing deer at 100yds or better using them darn things, well that was 40 years ago and most of those ole toads croaked and have shriveled up a long time ago, but now we have a small very vocal new group of anti hunter toads croakin their tune, give it time hunters, they will go the way of the doo doo bird just like their predecessors...

Ask anyone that was hunting at that time in NY.

Arguements where they where not bows, where too easy, and would ruin the bowseason.

Sound familiar?

yea that was the case back in the 70s, compounds were like rifles and you could shoot right thru a concrete block with one, hunters would be killing deer at 100yds or better using them darn things
hey all; first time poster here. Found this debate somewhere and then realized it's about time I registered here as this site will keep me up to date as to what's going on here in NY.

Yep, crossbows will ruin archery hunting for all us "he man" bowhunters who don't like technology that enables hunters the ability to be more proficient with their weapons. Who the heck wants that? I like it difficult; like Tred Barta. I like when it's a big challenge to center a shot in the vitals of a game animal. What I don't like is when a weapon that stores energy in it's bow limbs can lead to quick kills and more recoveries. Tell me what's good about that? Uga, uga, uga ...

Seriously, I just don't get the he man hunters; the haters; especially when you consider that many people need this type bow in order to have the opportunity to get back out there. Who in their right mind would deny those among us the opportunity to participate in bowhunting when the use of a crossbow is the only way they can get out in the woods. Who are those that would deny an individual in their later years the chance to fill those years with memories they can cherish? Don't seem like you have a heart to deny that to your fellow hunters. And don't give me that modified crossbow BS for the handicapped. WE all know that the NYB selfishness has made that a challenge that most cannot endure or complete.

So back to the part that I quoted:

yea that was the case back in the 70s, compounds were like rifles and you could shoot right thru a concrete block with one, hunters would be killing deer at 100yds or better using them darn things
yes, in the face of crossbow inclusion the same lame arguments against another bow come poring out of ignorant minds who are afraid of more hunters threatening their woodlot. Boo hoo; I say hypocrite to your face; and will stand by it. Not only are you and the NYBowhunters a big selfish bunch of hypocrites but you are also extremely unkind to your hunting brothers in need.

Look supermen; wake up! Anyone can take an injury at any time. Happened to me one season hanging a stand. I had 2 weeks off to bowhunt. Pulled my shoulder out and the next day I was really hurting. Had to sit out for a while. Now if I could have just picked up a crossbow and got back out there then that would be a good thing.

I'm a compound hunter but since I am human I would like to have a back up plan should something happen. You "supermen" bowhunters need to wake up and see that we all grow old and that should something happen your whole world can change in a second. For those of us who are passionate about bowhunting like most of us here are, to rally against a weapon that can get you and others back in the game is just plain ignorant.

Sorry for the "first timer" rant, but I get worked up on issues that affect hunter numbers to the negative side. Just doesn't make sense!

Welcome sky... nice to have another intelligent voice

Thanks all; happy to be here. Sorry I went a little hard and heavy with that post, but in our world where inclusion is vital, the exclusionary mindset really gets to me.

Not that it should matter any in this debate, but I also shoot a Hoyt Dorado recurve bow.

Welcome sky... nice to have another intelligent voice

Thanks all; happy to be here. Sorry I went a little hard and heavy with that post, but in our world where inclusion is vital, the exclusionary mindset really gets to me.

Not that it should matter any in this debate, but I also shoot a Hoyt Dorado recurve bow.

Pretty fancy way of saying that you want the law to change so that you can shoot a xgun during the regular archery season...plain, and simple.

Hi, I don't because I am a "Bowhunter" that participates in a crazy little thing we call, "Bowseason".

A "bow" is a short to medium range weapon that launches a projectile with the energy stored in the limbs of the "bow".

I have 3 types (compound, crossbow, recurve) and practice with each. When it comes to making an accurate shot on a game animal I am confident with the compound and crossbow. Recurve?; not so much.

But I guess according to you " keep it more primitive " boys the compound qualifies while the crossbow does not, and the recurve is way cool primitive and certainly belongs.

Well here is the way my logic works. Though I am well practiced with my Hoyt Dorado recurve out to 20 yards, I am very hesitant to hunt and take a shot with it at a deer. Why, you might ask? Because I know for a fact that my accuracy and consistency with that bow pales in comparison with my compound and crossbow. When you consider that I have lost animals when shooting my compound even at common bowhunting distances, why the heck would I want to increase the probability of making a bad hit and consequently losing that animal. For the challenge; right? Yea, I can see that. Ah heck why not? So I might lose a few before I finally make a killing shot and find one; this is bowhunting; it's suppossed to be tough. Right?

Well you might say bowhunting is about the challenge of shooting a primitive weapon in the first place. First off, compounds aren't primitive. Secondly, for me it's about increasing my chance of recovering the game animals I shoot at. For me, the bow that can achieve the highest recovery rate is the most ethical. For me, the bow that increases the chance that bambi is running through that school yard with an arrow sticking out of her neck, is the least ethical. That's why I have yet to pull the trigger with my recuve. Yea I might eventually get one some day and be able to say I got one with a recuve, but at what cost?

I presently will still favor my compound over my crossbow when given a choice, but that could certainly change as I grow older. I have three different types of bows to shoot, and for me it's a fairly simple concept that a bow that has the potential to achieve consistent accuracy also increases recovery rates. I kinda feel that is a good thing for the sport of bowhunting. Bambi, arrow in neck; not so much.

Thank you very much for making my point...

You speak of ethical shots and choice of weapon making ethical shots....In reality the only ethical shot is made with in your own mind and the choices you make ...not the weapon you use...If you know that shooting a recurve out to 20 yrds would or could result in a poor hit or un recovered deer....Than you just choose to be ethical and not shoot those yardages...You take the CHALLENGE of hunting and waiting for them to come into an acceptable range...You HUNT.......make ETHICAL decisions in passing good deer...and just enjoy the fact you saw them at all...Ohh perhaps learn to bring them into range

This is the reason many don't want to see X-bows in NY....ppl like you making these claims, and not getting this.... it's not the equipment but the hunter...using that term loosely...... that will gravitate to x bows ..

elitist? please look that word up...For many of you  banter that word around as if it's an insult ...you make me laugh...but moistly feel sad for you...you can't have a difference of opinion with out pulling out all the "high School" OOhhh so Bad insults....lord grow up!

...Ohh perhaps learn to bring them into range
this is where your argument falls flat. I have waited for them to be well within my range and still at times not made the shot that I would have hoped for. Lots of things can happen that result in bad hits and unrecovered game including shooter error and animals moving before the arrow arrives.

To make the point that waiting for an animal to be within your range validates shooting a less efficient bow is not logical , but I believe the choice of what bow you want to hunt with should be yours.

Face it, this is a less than perfect sport as all sports are, where success and failure can be measured by fractions of inches. A technologically advanced bow that enables the hunter to:

1) be more accurate

2) be more consistent

3) make fewer bad hits, and

4) recover more game

my logic says that's a good thing, while you have the other side saying shooting a less efficient bow is better since it is more challenging.

Like I said before, I have had unrecoverd game at short range shots and I practice over 200 days a year and can shoot spot on out to 50 yards.

Ohh perhaps learn to bring them into range
In the real world of bow hunting where anything can go wrong no matter the distance of the shot, this quote has no merit. Nor does the mindset that technologically advanced bows that can lead to more efficient shooting ability resulting in quick clean kills, is somehow a bad thing? Well, this mindset is just plain backwards logic.

Technology good; just say it; you can do it. I'm sure a lot of wounded deer would rather you shoot them with a crossbow over a recurve; I know I would. Then again by what I have seen guys call shooting "good enough" with their bows, i'll go with the longbow, recurve and compounds. Crossbows tend to kill very quickly and we all know that can't be good.

Why stop there?

If crossbows are good because they reduce the chance of lost game, thens guns should be even better. ::)

The truth is that there are some trad bowhunters that never lose a deer, and there are some crossbow hunters that never find one.

It has little to do with the weapon they are shooting and far more to do with their judgement on when they should and should not shoot.

BTW....there is no evidence that a crossbow is "more lethal" than a bow of any persuasion.

Skyhunter...you have well thought out ideas, and are right on the money with most of them. The thing I can't figure out is why you don't see why bowhunters don't want "inclusion".

This is a term for those that feel that it is allright, or rather "their" right to force their way into a season with a weapon that would otherwise be "excluded" had it not been for their insistance that it be, regardless of the definition of said weapon.

Plain, and simple...learn how to use the weapon that is legal in the season it is intended for instead of trying to force your way into a season with another weapon that gives you a better opportunity.

I have said this before, if we can't all agree, then let's just have an all out free for all..just call it ""Deer Season", and use whatever you want...that would settle any, and all disputes by way of attrition.

Damn it..I can't believe it..swear to god, there's a show on Showtime right now called "Leaves of Grass", and the main character, Ed Norton just got shot in the back with a crossbow...holy chit, you just can't make this stuff up....wow..

[quote author=SPIKER link=topic=126.msg49876#msg49876 date=130038451.

I have said this before, if we can't all agree, then let's just have an all out free for all..just call it ""Deer Season", and use whatever you want...that would settle any, and all disputes by way of attrition.

Okay -- "use whatever you want" , I want to use a rifle !