send letters for crossbows in NY

This is what I read on page 17 NY Hunting & Trapping guide (2010-2011)

Modified Crossbow Permit

This permit allows qualified people to hunt big or small game with a crossbow that has been specifically modified with a device that only allows it  to be discharged (fired) by means of a breath tube. This permit does not allow the use of an unmodified crossbow.

To qualify for a Modified Crossbow Permit, a person must be permanently physically unable to hold or draw a legal bow or to fire a legal bow that has been modified to hold and release the string.

If a person can pull the trigger on a gun, he or she will not qualify for a Modified Crossbow Permit.

The last I heard the Gov. haven sine the bill for the crossbow

[table]    [tr]  [td]New York [/td]  [td]During session, governor must sign or veto legislation within 10 days after transmittal (Sundays excepted), or it becomes law without signature. Legislation transmitted with fewer than 10 days left in the session must be acted upon by the governor within 30 days after adjournment, or is pocket vetoed. [/td][/tr][/table] 

FYI

Not to stir things up, but they had a 10 year old girl on Deer City USA (outdoor channel) tonight shoot a cross bow for the first time.  She was dead on @ 30 yards :)  Then the other girl, 11 shot it for the first time, dead on.  Give that same girl a recurve or a "fancy 99% let off compound bow" she wont be dead on.  Again am I against the Xbow, no, but trying to act like they are one and of the same is nuts.  I'm still on the fence if they should be allowed in the archery season for able bodied hunters.

The simplest means of communicating ones position on crossbows to our state legislature is via email. Be brief and to the point. Less is more.

Visit NY.gov for a comprehensive email addressees book for all the state legislators.

Oh, by the way they do respond!

Not to stir things up, but they had a 10 year old girl on Deer City USA (outdoor channel) tonight shoot a cross bow for the first time.  She was dead on @ 30 yards :)  Then the other girl, 11 shot it for the first time, dead on.  Give that same girl a recurve or a "fancy 99% let off compound bow" she wont be dead on.  Again am I against the Xbow, no, but trying to act like they are one and of the same is nuts.  I'm still on the fence if they should be allowed in the archery season for able bodied hunters.

John, with all due respect "Its a TV show"!  Perhaps they are just as capable with a recurve!

Its a little late to be contacting your legislator as the bill is on the Governors desk. However you could call his office and tell him to sign the bill and amend the bill so Xbows can be used on private property during archery season.

I have seen other examples of the same thing. They didn't involve kids, but the same point was demonstrated. Actually, when you think about it, it's not really all that surprising.

Not to stir things up, but they had a 10 year old girl on Deer City USA (outdoor channel) tonight shoot a cross bow for the first time.  She was dead on @ 30 yards ;)  Then the other girl, 11 shot it for the first time, dead on.  Give that same girl a recurve or a "fancy 99% let off compound bow" she wont be dead on.  Again am I against the Xbow, no, but trying to act like they are one and of the same is nuts.  I'm still on the fence if they should be allowed in the archery season for able bodied hunters.

hey guy's i'm new here but have been checking out this forum for a long time, thought it was gone for good, but i see it's back.

anyway as far as crossbows being so easy to use that even an 11 year old girl can master one in minutes comment, i just have to clarify.

yes a crossbow can be more quickly mastered by almost anyone as far as shooting very tight groups at any distance compared to someone shooting a vertical bow when shooting from a resting position, but try shooting a crossbow free hand and that advantage quickly dissappears.

i have also read more than a few too many comments on how a crossbow can hold 2 inch groupds at 50 yds all day long. well this might be true for some but shooting a crossbow at a whitetail deer at more than 30 yds is a sure recipe for disaster due to the noise a crossbow makes on release, where with my Mathews Drenalin i would easily take a shot at 45 or even 50 yds on a whitetail and have done so in the past with success.

i hunt in PA with crossbows now and hunt and have hunted with vertical compounds here in NY for over 20 years. and i can honestly say crossbows offer no advantage to hunting the northeastern whitetails by any means.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...