Governor requesting Compromise on Crossbow Bill

SteveMcD

Well, it was NYB that originally released the info saying it was on the Governors desk and had left the Assembly. Then, the NYODN said the same thing. If you look at the bill's progress on the state assembly website, it shows that it was last referred to DEC and nothing since then.

My take on it is Sweeny probably got his pee pee slapped by the Governors office for taking the NYB type hard line stance on this. I know of quite a few guys that have sent emails, letters and phone calls to the Governors office requesting him to not sign the bill. Add to that the DEC 5 year plan that goes against what Sweeny is pushing for.

If he doesnt sign, the youth hunt is on, but the crossbow regs will have to be updated on their own bill before next deer season starts.

What I am really hoping is that the NYB has been exposed for what they are and the DEC has woken up to what the majority of hunters in this state really want.

Since the DEC has already said that the vast majority of letters they have received on the issue of crossbows have been pro crossbow, and the 5 year plan (which was open to public comment) includes the youth season, I can only assume that the same majorities would be seen with the calls/emails/letters this time around. Who knows for sure though.

I doubt it would impact the price of crossbows. Most suppliers are nation-wide chains, so individual state laws won't impact sales enough to raise prices. I could see it happening at a local shop though, but even then, with so many internet options, they wouldn't really be able to raise the price too much without the risk of losing customer orders.

Biz-R,

Have you ever tried using a compound bow? I think you would enjoy that as well and u can starting hunting the archery season now.

Wish I could. I severely separated my shoulder in a snowboarding accident years ago. I can draw a compound bow back a couple of times. But not enough to practice and ethically hunt with it in my opinion otherwise I would have been using one for years. I bought a crossbow 2 years ago to hunt PA and now NY, to extend my deer hunting seasons.

But beyond all the crossbow talk...there will be plenty of time for that...it looks like the Youth Season is close to being a reality...that is in a month, the first weekend in October, statewide, youth deer hunters will be shooting at deer while bowhunters are in the woods. Think about it. Bowhunters in trees or in ground blinds...young hunters with rifles and shotguns hunting deer for the first time. IMO it is important for everyone to get the word out so that our first Youth Deer Season is a safe and successful one.

youth deer hunters will be shooting at deer while bowhunters are in the woods. Think about it. Bowhunters in trees or in ground blinds...young hunters with rifles and shotguns hunting deer for the first time.

The fact is that if there is any deer season that involves guns while bow season is in progress, I will simply delay my bow opener by a couple of days. I personally don't think it will be a great loss. But, I will not be out there in camo while any gun deer season is in progress. It just plain is not safe, supposedly mentored or not. The only blaze orange that I have is pretty heavy gear, and I am not buying special summer blaze orange (if I could even find such stuff) for just a couple of days of bow hunting. So I get a few more days to get my bowhunting gear straightened out ..... big deal.

The fact is that if there is any deer season that involves guns while bow season is in progress, I will simply delay my bow opener by a couple of days. I personally don't think it will be a great loss. But, I will not be out there in camo while any gun deer season is in progress. It just plain is not safe, supposedly mentored or not. The only blaze orange that I have is pretty heavy gear, and I am not buying special summer blaze orange (if I could even find such stuff) for just a couple of days of bow hunting. So I get a few more days to get my bowhunting gear straightened out ..... big deal.

hey Doc, they do have simple light single layer vests in blaze that cost about 8 bucks, and you wont sweat to death wearin one..

hey Doc, they do have simple light single layer vests in blaze that cost about 8 bucks, and you wont sweat to death wearin one..

The way things are going this year with my equipment, I'll still be tinkering with it until after the season is over..... lol. I'm quite sure I will not be ready by October 1st. But anyway, I'm figuring that temperatures will be figuring into hunting comfort at that time, and anything that doesn't "breathe" probably will be pretty ugly to wear. We'll see. Actually with leaves still on the trees, I'm not sure how visible any color of clothing will actually be unless your head to toe covered with blaze orange. I think it's just easier to stay out of the woods for a couple days.

Agreed. If the deer do not see it as is the general consensus, just wear it, instead of complaining about the kids ruining your hunt. Most of you have argued the safety features of wearing bo for a while here, and now are arguing against kids hunting because you will have to wear bo. Seems hypocritical to me.

How many years now have Muzzle loaders been in the woods same time as bowhunters in NZ? Turkey hunters, small game hunters all in the woods at same time as well. This is nothing new to the bowhunting world. Wear some orange, use your head and be safe.

I have never been in the woods in camo at the same time that muzzle loader deer season was in progress. For me that would be pretty stupid. I see no difference between deer rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loaders when it comes to the need for blaze orange. As far as turkey hunters are concerned, I believe that in all the years that we have had a fall turkey season, I have seen exactly one turkey hunter. However, mixing gun deer hunting with bow deer hunting is just not a real smart idea in my mind under any circumstances.

I will say that I suspect that bowhunters will probably never even be aware that there is a youth season going on, so safety concerns probably won't be as big an issue unless you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't expect it to be that big a deal. Nobody found time to take these kids out hunting before, and I don't expect that to significantly change now. But it seems to be the "feel-good" flavor of the day salvation of hunting in many people's minds. So, like I said before, I think I can easily fore-go a couple of days of bowhunting without any problem at all.