New state record???

WNY Bowhunter

You don't need the whole skull to get an official score...just the antlers on the intact skull plate.

Would the seam that runs up the center of the skull not possible distort the rack? Meaning it could shrink and spread the rack wider or make it narrower. Which would effect the true score of the rack. I was told from a taxidermist that If I was get a deer mounted that I wanted officially scored there would be a delay in getting it back as he could not cut the skull plate until after the drying period. Just curious what is correct. On another note I hope this is a legit buck, amazing deer if it was wild.

Don't listen to your taxidermist. The skull plate area is still going to shrink as it dries whether it's on the skull or cut-off seperately.

Well hes not my taxidermist. Yes the skull will shrink but not being intact what is to stop the seam causing distortion? With it fully intact it will hold its true shape. Like I said curious more than anything.

Yes just the skull plate could roll in or out, its why many leave the skull intact untill measured or it is braced so inside spread doesn't shrink or grow. But in older bucks it is usually fully fused seam,its much more plyable in a younger deer. Such as game farm deer. Or phenom 2 or 3 year olds.

NYAntler question for you. I thought that the skull had to be intact to make an official score? If so how can it be scored after the drying period since the skull cap was cut off?

You can measure it with just the skull cap as long as it is still intact and not split in two... basically you just need the area between the bases to be intact so that the spread measurement isn't compromised... so try not to shoot you buck between the eyes if he's a bruiser... you wouldn't want to split the skull plate if you had the next state record. Except for you SteveB you can shoot the skull plate apart since you aren't entering it anyway..lol

Sheds can also be measured for the recordbook if both sides are found, but they are all given an 18" spread measurement and are not eligible as an official state record.

So its safe to say if someone shoots a record book buck it might be in there best interest to not take the chance of the skull plate splitting and leave the antlers in tack with the whole skull? Seems the smart way to not take any chances. And no worries Im not a head shot shooter nor the infamous texas heart shot either lol. I also dont forsee a record buck in my near future but ya never know I guess.

So its safe to say if someone shoots a record book buck it might be in there best interest to not take the chance of the skull plate splitting and leave the antlers in tack with the whole skull? Seems the smart way to not take any chances. And no worries Im not a head shot shooter nor the infamous texas heart shot either lol. I also dont forsee a record buck in my near future but ya never know I guess.

Most of the racks I score have just the skull plate because the hunter is having them mounted by a taxidermist....

I don't know fellaz, I'm far from being an expert on deer, but this guy looks a bit "farmish" to me...just saying....

have you hunted the island? looks like every 200" that was ever taken off LI lol

no pen deer here...

have you hunted the island? looks like every 200" that was ever taken off LI lol

no pen deer here...

No I haven't but if you are telling me you have bruisers like that I will there in no time :-)

BTW, when do you apply for a town tags on LI (January season) is it already too late?

I don't know fellaz, I'm far from being an expert on deer, but this guy looks a bit "farmish" to me...just saying....

Well today i get a phone call from a hunting partner of mine. He is a watertown cop. He says dec came into the office with 3 other officers and they had the rack in their truck. They say they confiscated the rack and that it was shot on a farm up in the area where it was claimed to be taken.

Im not sure of all the details. I do know the land that it was claimed to be taken and it is some awesome land. I hope its not true and im sure more news will be out soon. I do hope this is not the case but i guess they are doing some heavy investigating of the hunter and the farm that they say it was shot. Lets all hope it legit.