New state record???

WNY Bowhunter

Well today i get a phone call from a hunting partner of mine. He is a watertown cop. He says dec came into the office with 3 other officers and they had the rack in their truck. They say they confiscated the rack and that it was shot on a farm up in the area where it was claimed to be taken.

Im not sure of all the details. I do know the land that it was claimed to be taken and it is some awesome land. I hope its not true and im sure more news will be out soon. I do hope this is not the case but i guess they are doing some heavy investigating of the hunter and the farm that they say it was shot. Lets all hope it legit.

"...The plot thickens..." LOL keep'em coming 4 Seasons

No I haven't but if you are telling me you have bruisers like that I will there in no time :-)

BTW, when do you apply for a town tags on LI (January season) is it already too late?

lol yup

ummm not sure on that one. i have only hunted LI with the gun a few times and i never applied i just went to DEC in ridge.. i know you can apply for other places just not sure when the dead line is

are they thinking it was shot in a pen? what are they investigating?

They are saying it was!! It would be no problem if he shot a deer on a ranch. You dont need a tag to do so! The problem would be when he signed the papers to record it as a a record!! If he did so!!

This would be a bad deal for the hunter and the ranch involved, If the ranch owner knew what was going on. Like i said, I have not got the full story yet of what went down. Im sure antler will hear some of the story with him being around alot of the top bucks taken. Maybe its just people throwing words around and they are checking his story. Can only hope its a legal kill.

If I EVER shoot a monster buck im not moving it till I can get a DEC officer to come and look at it and the area it was shot in. That way no one can say a thing. Here's to hoping its a legit deer but I dont have any faith it is.

Edited by erussell

errussell I think that ould be a very wise choice and one I might use myself. Probably I will never have to worry about that though. lol Lets hope it pans out legit, I am just lost to why anyone would go through the effort of bullshitting any record deer just to say Im a big bad hunter, look at me look at me lol.

Why would anyone buy record sheds on line and pass them off as NY found?

Why would anyone fabricate a set of antlers and staple them to a deers head and claim its a world record? I think its some sort of neurotic disease or something. You really have to be craving attention to do something so stupid. This stupidity might have worked in yrs past but with todays technology you are going to get alot of press fast and if its not 100% squeeky clean you will be found out. I just dont get it!! Hope this one is real.

If I EVER shoot a monster buck im not moving it till I can get a DEC officer to come and look at it and the area it was shot in. That way no one can say a thing. Here's to hoping its a legit deer but I dont have any faith it is.

Jim Shockey wrote an article about shooting record book animals and how to proceed with documentation, verification and getting witnesses. Lots and lots of witnesses.

I actually read the article in mid November 2009. A couple weeks later my father killed an upper 160's 11 point. Before we had the deer out of the woods, I had already called everyone I could think of to come see the deer including two NYS Troopers who were on patrol in the area. Within a day there were stories of the deer being jacked, killed in early September, shot on a game farm, etc.... Fortunately we had several witnesses who saw the freshly killed deer as we took it out of the woods with sunlight still in the sky so the rumor posse looked a little foolish.

I hope this story has a happy ending, but its not sounding good.

Public record (facebook..lol) Says that the hunter has pulled his request to have it entered in the books and lower jaw proves it to be a 2yr old buck!!!!

Very big write up. With others being brought to the so called kill site, with no signs of a kill found. Everything but a fess up as to it being taken on a ranch. Its to bad!

Always have your cell phone ready these days and yes if you kill a big one.....Call the Pope!

http://www.watertown...EWS03/710039822 this is the stroy I had to keep quiet since last friday after talking with Matt Cooper (NYSBBC scorer)... we were trying to give Mr. Long a graceful way out, but he continued to try and make his false story public. He was charged with filing a false report by using a NYS tag of the farmed deer.

His brother Mike who posted on this forum had nothing to do with his brothers plan and was totally unaware of what was going on.. I have spoken to Mike via email and he feels terrible about the whole thing.. he just found out like the rest of you.

Edited by nyantler

http://www.watertown...EWS03/710039822 this is the stroy I had to keep quiet since last friday after talking with Matt Cooper (NYSBBC scorer)... we were trying to give Mr. Long a graceful way out, but he continued to try and make his false story public. He was charged with filing a false report by using a NYS tag of the farmed deer.

His brother Mike who posted on this forum had nothing to do with his brothers plan and was totally unaware of what was going on.. I have spoken to Mike via email and he feels terrible about the whole thing.. he just found out like the rest of you.

Now that was an interesting article.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Yet another big buck BS drama! This crap happens way too often it seems. What people will do to get their names in the record book or in the papers is amazing. I'm getting the impression that people obsessed with this kind of stuff are at about the same moral levels as pimps, prostitutes and drug dealers. They are complete garbage that just give all hunters an even lower standing in society.