Moving Upstate

AaronBlaine

Hey guys i am a former United States Marine. Me and my girlfriend currently live on long island. My girl friend is a flobotamist and i am a carpenter slash masons helper. I have gotten tired of paying to much for rent and working just to survive here. We are both interested in moving upstate but are clueless as to where to move where we can both make enough money to survive. I want to get out and be closer to nature instead of traffic and i just have no clue as to picking a place that we can both find work and yet still find an affordable place to rent and live and enjoy life with out the congestion and hustle and bustle of long island. Thanks for your time and suggestions on places to move! PS: i obviously want to be in some prime hunting territory!

Delaware County in the Catskills is great for a rural lifestyle. It's the least densely populated county in NY State. Lots of dairy farms, medical facilities and home improvement jobs and as a former Marine, you can apply for civil service jobs and get preference on the hiring lists. There are a couple of hospitals here that are always looking to hire nurses as well. I live outside of Delhi NY and love it. Real cheap to live here and rents are low too. There is also SUNY Delhi College here and they are looking for carpenters, locksmiths and plumbers. Check it out.

• Like 1

Delaware County in the Catskills is great for a rural lifestyle. It's the least densely populated county in NY State. Lots of dairy farms, medical facilities and home improvement jobs and as a former Marine, you can apply for civil service jobs and get preference on the hiring lists. There are a couple of hospitals here that are always looking to hire nurses as well. I live outside of Delhi NY and love it. Real cheap to live here and rents are low too. There is also SUNY Delhi College here and they are looking for carpenters, locksmiths and plumbers. Check it out.

I would agree with Delaware County as well as Otsego County. Another area would be Ithaca/Cortland area. Probably Rochester is the best city area to live near.

The Capital District - Albany is a good place to find State / Federal jobs https://www.usajobs.gov/ or http://www.armycivilianservice.com/ using your Veterans credits , there are numerous Hospitals - all hiring St. Peters http://www.sphcs.org/ Albany Medical Center http://www.amc.edu/ and a bunch of colleges ... all hiring ! You wouldnt want to live in the city (sorry city dwellers) live outside the city , I do - 15 minutes away and I have deer in my backyard and can hunt here also . I escaped NYC in the early 80's and never looked back !

Can Do Brother !

• Like 1

I agree with Greene, tons of jobs in the capital district. When I moved back from Manhattan I moved to Saratoga. Similar lifestyle and small town feel where you can drive 10 minutes and find tons of farm land. I eventually moved back to Delmar after I grew tired of the commute from Saratoga to Delmar everyday.

my wife and me and our daugther live near stewart's air force reserve base rents up here r reasonable i hunt stewart state forest 6000 acres and sterling state forest 20000 acres lifeup here is quiet and peaceful i work out at golds gym in newburgh and there are alot of military personal who go there look us up over here u will like it i work in nyc and commute everyday so job oppurtunities are there.

There are a few counties mentioned that well....good luck affording decent apt....the county taxes are bad....From Bath up to the lakes and across in either direction you will find medical ops...lower taxes...affordable housing and if your good construction jobs...and great hunting

find oout the tax rates in counties/towns and that will give you an idea of rental rates....Good Luck

Ok, I can't stand it any longer ..... What the heck is a flobotamist ?

Location ..... Let's face it there's not really any place in NY that comes with ringing endorsements. I like it but then I have been brainwashed by a whole life in this state. But I do have to ask, for a guy that apparently has no real ties to any particular location yet, why have you chosen NYS? Most people are running like crazy away from this state.

However, if you are looking for good rural areas that are still within commuting distances (within 45 minutes to an hour) of a major city, and which has the best deer hunting in the state, I would be looking at western New York. Probably areas south of Rochester would be ideal. Probably would be a lot of opportunities for your girlfriend to do her flobotomizing there. We probably got a whole lot of flobots running around over here .... lol.

• Like 1

i moved up to Ulster from Long Island 9 years ago and will be stepping out the back door to get into one of me treestands in about 40 mins. Orange and Ulster counties are higher property tax but higher opportunity also with Middletown, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie all very close, and NY is only 90 mins away for the big money. alot of people up here commute to NYC. theres tons of state land. I will fill you in more later iffin you want as to towns and nieghborhoods. gotta get ready now.....

Wyoming, Livingston, Yates, Cayuga, and born and raised in Madison co.

These are some of my favorite counties. Yates has low taxes (relatively speaking) All within 45 minutes to an hours drive of Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse. Good waterfowl, deer, turkey smallgame, and predator hunting to be had in all. Plus you are close to Ontario and or Erie, Oneida Lake, and the finger Lakes. Reasonable drive to the ADK's as well.

alot of the more north counties the guys are mentioning above are indeed beautifull, i did alot of looking before i moved to ulster but gotta say delaware and that area around oneonta are something to behold..sometimes i wish i woulda bought there...you might wanna aviod the areas around lake ontario unless you really like snow. sullivan county, well what can i say, huge hasidic communities and the towns are really starting to show what the recession is all about, hope im not insulting anyone, sorry if i did.....

Edited by sits in trees

I would move to another state givin the opportunity. Central new york or anywhere upstate for that matter is pretty damn expensive in ever aspect. The state is beautiful but its soooo hard to eek out a decent living. Use the web do your research and youll see what im talking about.

I would move to another state givin the opportunity. Central new york or anywhere upstate for that matter is pretty damn expensive in ever aspect. The state is beautiful but its soooo hard to eek out a decent living. Use the web do your research and youll see what im talking about.

i know of too many people including families that moved south or out west and long to be back in NY state, many have come back. ive heard things from not being accepted to not being able to make a living or it just sucks compared to NY. alot of people will resent you for just being from NY when they know you sold your 500 thousand dollar house to buy a 90 thousand dollar house in their town. had a good friend move back up from Virginia acouple years back, said everyone down there is a bible thompin wacko...

i know of too many people including families that moved south or out west and long to be back in NY state, many have come back. ive heard things from not being accepted to not being able to make a living or it just sucks compared to NY. alot of people will resent you for just being from NY when they know you sold your 500 thousand dollar house to buy a 90 thousand dollar house in their town. had a good friend move back up from Virginia acouple years back, said everyone down there is a bible thompin wacko...

ive heard the same, but ive also heard the complete opposite. know of a few success stories as well in regards to people leaving ny.

i realize am very lucky to live where i live. i am about an hour from everything. adks, lake ontario, finger lakes, tug hill etc. but the area is just so down in the dumps, the weather is dreary most of the year, local economy is non existent just about, then theres the taxes, politics and liberal atmosphere that comes with living in new york. i find there is too much stress living here any way you slice it, especially if your a young person.

ive been out west and experienced lots of different areas and would like to some day move somewhere in idaho, montana around yellowstone or the grand tetons within driving distance of salt lake city. tennessee isnt out west but ive been there quite a few times and is actually another place id consider, and if you do your research its one of the best places to retire even over florida and best places to live in general when you consider taxes, cost of living, schools, etc...

IMO if i were given the chance to move, i wouldnt hesitate to leave new york. ill sacrifice what ive come to enjoy about the state if it means a healthier life.

yea man its rough i am a mason and carpenter and i work mostly seven days a week. Me and my girlfriend have a one bedroom apartment with no dreams of having a house some day. There is no money to be made and any i make goes right to bills. I totaled my car last week and my grandmother just had a stroke today. The entire family lives paycheck to paycheck and it sucks. Someday i hope to escape this place but until then i will take advantage of my hard work and labor in taxes rent etc and i will hunt the shit out of ny ! My family will eat my harvest and enjoy my hard work! I will not go quietly into the night and i will pay more attention to the beautiful surroundings of long island and ny. I am an avid fisherman and as of last year now an avid hunter. And my grandmother is still alive and hell i got a really good deal on a 98 chevy s 10. Got a lil rust and 130000 on the clock but shes got a cap that will keep my rifle dry! And you can bet your ass i will be riding that bitch up state come opening day and im gonna keep riding it until the wheels fall off! I suggest you guys do the same. Enjoy this state while you can. Too many people overlook the beauty that surrounds them. People get too wrapped up in there own stressfilled lives that they forget to stop and smell the damn roses while they still can!

Edited by AaronBlaine

Aaron its funny you mention the beauty of the state. Up here in the FInger Lakes area on the wine trails, houses and especially land area going nuts in price. People out of the area are buying up the land and houses in this area driving the prices up. Locals think people are crazy paying $200,000 or more for a house with a few acres of land but that is nothing for people from the City, NJ and Long Island. I have started to see local land hit $6000 to $10,000 a acre now do to all the winery's.

yea man its rough i am a mason and carpenter and i work mostly seven days a week. Me and my girlfriend have a one bedroom apartment with no dreams of having a house some day. There is no money to be made and any i make goes right to bills. I totaled my car last week and my grandmother just had a stroke today. The entire family lives paycheck to paycheck and it sucks. Someday i hope to escape this place but until then i will take advantage of my hard work and labor in taxes rent etc and i will hunt the shit out of ny ! My family will eat my harvest and enjoy my hard work! I will not go quietly into the night and i will pay more attention to the beautiful surroundings of long island and ny. I am an avid fisherman and as of last year now an avid hunter. And my grandmother is still alive and hell i got a really good deal on a 98 chevy s 10. Got a lil rust and 130000 on the clock but shes got a cap that will keep my rifle dry! And you can bet your ass i will be riding that bitch up state come opening day and im gonna keep riding it until the wheels fall off! I suggest you guys do the same. Enjoy this state while you can. Too many people overlook the beauty that surrounds them. People get too wrapped up in there own stressfilled lives that they forget to stop and smell the damn roses while they still can!

you got a good point about the beauty, ive walked the woods down south and they are plain UGLY. kinda looks like haunted forests down there with weird crap hanging from all the trees. the fall season sucks as far as fiolage, its hot during hunting season,uuugghh and the the forest floor has sand on it and the freakin bugs and snakes, i just dont think im ready for hunting in the south. ohhhh and the deer got little bodies.

Probably areas south of Rochester would be ideal. Probably would be a lot of opportunities for your girlfriend to do her flobotomizing there. We probably got a whole lot of flobots running around over here .... lol.

omg doc, you literally had me laughing my ass off. hahahaha

That was the funniest thing I have ever read on here

EDIT: just read the quote again and started cracking up, bahahahaaaaaa

Edited by SteveNY
  • Like 1