50 yards

JonathanStrange

No, I was talking about limbs/twigs that are not visible at the longer distances, particularly in compromised light.

I took this pic about an hour, maybe two before I shot the buck. Prophetic? No. This is one of the two places I expected a shot and is where I shot him. I posted it earlier.

Unless the apple tree jumps at me, I can shoot 140 yards to that hedgerow without a twig in the way. See the apple tree? See the limb? See it cut? Geez. Sure made 55 yards easier.

You keep bringing up objections, but you are not seeing that its situational. I don't think anyone here who advocates thinks you should shoot when there could be twigs in the way.

post-575-0-18134900-1349956600_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Doc..Tons of funny stuff here in this thread (not your post but the entire thread) I'm sure is eye opening to you and others. What is your max range, if you have one on deer. I know maybe you'll stretch it a bit at times but where do you "draw the line"?

Me, approx. 23 yards is my max. I really look for the 3-5 yard shot but inside of 17-18 yards I'm most confident.

Funny stuff alright. I will be the first to admit that I ain't much of a bowhunter, but there is mighty LITTLE doubt in my mind that the vast majority of bowhunters out there should NOT be shooting much past 20 to 25 yards. I have seen gun hunters screw up big time shooting at 50 yards and even less, and then I should have confidence in a bowhunter zipping one thru perfectly at 50 yards with all the disadvantages an arrow has in comparison to a bullet or slug? Yeah, I'm sure it's been done, but those same people are probably not telling us of the many more screw ups they've had at the same distances. I don't care how experienced the archer is. Taking a 50+ yards is pretty much the same as a quarterback throwing a pass 80 yards into a pack of players in the endzone with 2 seconds left on the clock. Yeah, it succeeds ONCE in a while, while it fails more times than not.

By the way, can someone direct me to the smiley waving the BS flag? I may need it down the road in this thread, although it's probably been needed already. LOL

I practice out to 40 yards, but all my stands are set up for 25 yards max. The 40 yard practice is to gain confidence at 25. It also points out any form or equipment problems. However in hunting conditions, most deer that I have taken have been around the 15 yard range, with one taken at 5 yards.

Makes sense to me!

How many years you been at this bowhunting thing?

LOL! let me paint this picture for these people who are agaisnt long shots. There is a younger hunter, not much experience, who is going into his third year of hunting. He has shot one buck, a doe, and wounded a few others. He has seen a few big bucks, but never really had the opportunity for a shot. This November, on a cold frosty morning, a 130 inch buck steps out for him, and walks right into the biggest opening you will ever see. The buck stops at about 32 yards. The kid knows that he doesn't shoot his bow much because he is just getting into hunting. I would say his maximum range is at 25 yards. He pulls his bow back: what do you think is going through his mind? "Oh, I better not shoot because I know he is just a little to far, maybe next time.... what a bummer," Or "Oh my god, oh my god, holy shit, I cant believe I have this opportunity." Squeeze, arrow goes flying while he was looking at the rack the whole time lol. We have all been there, I know I have. You can only build experience in bowhunting by getting out there and taking shots. And for people to sit on here and just say you will never take a long shot, or have, well that is a just a complete joke.

Funny stuff alright. I will be the first to admit that I ain't much of a bowhunter, but there is mighty LITTLE doubt in my mind that the vast majority of bowhunters out there should NOT be shooting much past 20 to 25 yards. I have seen gun hunters screw up big time shooting at 50 yards and even less, and then I should have confidence in a bowhunter zipping one thru perfectly at 50 yards with all the disadvantages an arrow has in comparison to a bullet or slug? Yeah, I'm sure it's been done, but those same people are probably not telling us of the many more screw ups they've had at the same distances. I don't care how experienced the archer is. Taking a 50+ yards is pretty much the same as a quarterback throwing a pass 80 yards into a pack of players in the endzone with 2 seconds left on the clock. Yeah, it succeeds ONCE in a while, while it fails more times than not.

By the way, can someone direct me to the smiley waving the BS flag? I may need it down the road in this thread, although it's probably been needed already. LOL

I mentioned before I have only made a handful of shot attempts past 30 yards...I'm 3 for 4 - but in my mind all four situations allowed for it. I simply misjudged the one and had a clean miss between his legs - still haunts me to this day, but it wasn't symptomatic of longer shots. It was a yardage misjudgement, which happens to any bowhunter who has hunted long enough. The others were clean kills....one was slightly quartering away and I only got liver and through one lung, but he was down in about 90 yards or so.

I think you are lumping slob hunters in with responsible hunters becuase of a shot distance. I hve zero doubt that there are bowhunters who will launch arrows without a care, and those are the ones I think most people here are picturing when talking about this issue. Same goes for gun hunters.

Well for starters.....I agree the most with those who say let deer get closer....in my opinion...dusk...your done.....you still have to see where the arrow hit and last point deer was seen....too much up to chance.....next time maybe get your stand closer to the activity and you will have a 25 yard shot....

I practice at 60 yards with my xforce and still wouldn't take that shot at dusk......keep practicin and good luck...

Well for starters.....I agree the most with those who say let deer get closer....in my opinion...dusk...your done.....you still have to see where the arrow hit and last point deer was seen....too much up to chance.....next time maybe get your stand closer to the activity and you will have a 25 yard shot....

I practice at 60 yards with my xforce and still wouldn't take that shot at dusk......keep practicin and good luck...

Dusk or do you mean sunset?

i dont even want to comment on this thread my opinion about long shots.... i feel like im dealing with a bunch of lawyers in a court room dissecting every word thats said and turning it around on the person. f this.

True story...poll the members here on their occupation...and you'd be surprised to see how many attorneys there are on here. There's at LEAST two that have posted on this thread. I'm not one of them, though.

This is just a typical early season hunting thread...people have that angst built up and just need to go hunt and kill stuff. Don't take it personal, just tell us to shove it.

• Like 2

You get the crap colored star for the Post Of The Day. Congrats?

Edited out of respect for the site & mods.

How would you say that you get experience then. Lay it on me brother. Lets not mold and mask the truth here, it just makes you like a clown. Oh I forgot, your first year hunting, you were an all star Fred Bear. MY bad, should of known great white hunter. Lets hear about all the big trophies youve killed now lol.

Thankfully I've never wounded a deer with the bow. My first ever hunt (gun) I shot a buck that went over the property line and I was not allowed to recover. It is likely that the shot was less than favorable. My 1 bow miss was a clean miss. I missed a big buck during my first gun season as an adult (by myself). That one was a clean miss. I learned from these mistakes and started passing deer. After seeing deer out of range, I bought a rifled barrel and scope for my Shotgun. The next shot I took after many passes, I missed clean due to brush at the front of the barrel that was not visible through the scope. Talk about a rookie mistake, I'd read about this happening. I should have took my smooth bore w/ irons that day for the thick stuff. Live and learn guys. Listen to the old timers and those that did it before you. I did with some things and obviously didn't with others.

tjm08803- Your scenario about the young hunter is the most realistic one I've read so far... No young hunter is passing up a shot on a big buck because its a few yards out of his/her range. Might not be the right thing to do but it is the reality of what happens.

You are correct. Many OLDER hunters wouldn't pass the shot up either. We are just telling you that the vast majority who try it WILL Fk up a shot like that in one way or another. That's pretty much it. So fire away fellas for we surely can't stop you. Just don't go starting threads afterwards on how you shot, but now can't find him, because you definitely won't get a free ride from many of us then.

tjm08803- Your scenario about the young hunter is the most realistic one I've read so far... No young hunter is passing up a shot on a big buck because its a few yards out of his/her range. Might not be the right thing to do but it is the reality of what happens.

Within my first 5 years of bowhunting, I cant tell you how many deer, including 2 bucks that were 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds that I passed because I was not comfortable with the shot due to distance and other factors.

I have also made a couple of bad shots and lost a very nice buck last year because of it. Theres a difference between botching a shot that is within your limits and taking a shot that you know is outside your limits just because its an "opportunity". The latter is unethical.

• Like 3

Within my first 5 years of bowhunting, I cant tell you how many deer, including 2 bucks that were 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds that I passed because I was not comfortable with the shot due to distance and other factors.

I have also made a couple of bad shots and lost a very nice buck last year because of it. Theres a difference between botching a shot that is within your limits and taking a shot that you know is outside your limits just because its an "opportunity". The latter is unethical.

AND THATS THE GAME!!!!!!!

Best answer Very well said :good:

as I stated before it is up to the shooter to determine their limits

• Like 1

Dunno...I shoot a recurve and I can;t pick a spot on a target at anything past half that so it's out of the question for me. I've seen some compound guys group at 60yds but that's on a target that's perfectly still. A deer could take a half a step at that distance and what was a good solid lung hit becomes a rump hit and you are blood trailing for 2 days...I'd stay away if i were you..

Sorry bud but your statement couldnt be further from the truth. This is my fourth year hunting, and fourth year with the bow. im 23 now so yea id consider myself a young hunter in every aspect of the term. Ive had two opportunities at big bucks and let both walk for the simple reason that i felt they were a few yards out of range....one ended up being thirty-five yards out but seeing as i was on the ground on the edge of a field judging distance wasnt as easy as being in a tree. Assuming all young hunters are the same is pretty darn simple-minded, and quite stereotypical if you ask me. Im not the exception either.

How would you say that you get experience then. Lay it on me brother. Lets not mold and mask the truth here, it just makes you like a clown. Oh I forgot, your first year hunting, you were an all star Fred Bear. MY bad, should of known great white hunter. Lets hear about all the big trophies youve killed now lol.

OK, i cut you some slack on your first post but the more you open your mouth, the more rediculous you sound. Now i guess your going to dazzle us with some trophy stories. Please save us the boring details. Hit up the xxx sites if you want to have a "mine is bigger then yours" discussion..

OK, i cut you some slack on your first post but the more you open your mouth, the more rediculous you sound. Now i guess your going to dazzle us with some trophy stories. Please save us the boring details. Hit up the xxx sites if you want to have a "mine is bigger then yours" discussion..

Hey man, after taking a ----, I tend to wipe in an upward motion. I look forward to your reply, where you tell me it should be wiped in a downward motion, and thats the only way... lol Jesus