Are there alot more hunters in the Southern zone compared to the Northern Zone.

Fairgame

It's definitely something to think about.  Also consider the population concentrations.  The North Country is a lot more sparsely populated than the southern zone so a lot of times it's just too tough to get out there.  Also the terrain isn't as welcoming as some of the flatter parts of the state.  All of this could contribute to lower numbers of hunters.

it could also have something to do with more deer in the southern zone.  It is only logical that where more people live, there will be more hunters. NY state is like the civil war, the north verses the south especially  for hunting.  We have different dates the season opens, different seasons for muzzleloading and much much fewer dpm's.  During the regular season, it is mostly bucks only as there are very few permits.  This was the first year in 5 that I got a permit for my area. And not all of northern ny is hilly. I live in a nice flat valley in the largest county in the state and there are a lot of hunters here.  The good part we are native here, not migrating north from the big city.  That is why it is not like a war zone here, and I do not have to dress like the great pumpkin to go hunting. More dende poopulation of deer means less likely to get bigger deer also.  The deer here eat well in all the agricultural area and grow bigger. Just my two cents.

Anyone know the history or DEC's logic behind where that N/S zone line falls?

Is it strictly an Adirondacks and rest of the state reference?

Was it a separation of rifle & shotgun usage areas?

Never really thought about it, but that's what I assumed it separated.

I always assumed it had to do with the climate differences. It seems that the northern zone has its own special weather conditions with intense winters. Some may involve traditional lake effect areas where snow levels are normally way different than the rest of the state. But I will have to admit that I have never heard an official explanation.

Doc

I know for my neck of the woods in 5t/5g I'm right on the line. Rt.22 runs right through the center of my town. I hunt both NZ and SZ. I like the NZ because of terain, even on state land it's so mountainous and vast that there is plenty of land for deer to go ,there is less pressure from human population, houses, traffic and hunters themselves. Many hunters in this area just don't go deep enough, you could walk for days in the mountains up here. Now you go to the other side of rt.22 and it's the complete opposite. Houses, people, the huntable lands are so small, opening day sounds like the revolution gun shots everywhere. I remember last opener, in my stand I was ducking for cover because between the fowl hunters and deer hunters sunrise was open fire........and did they open fire!! Food source is far greater.....more farms etc. the North is just mountains whatever grows naturally is what they have to eat no corn fields...alfalfa fields etc.BUT I love them both for what they are. I have found my NZ hunting will yield the bigger older bucks the mountain bucks....but you earn it my friends. SZ is great for up close encounters, great bow hunting, decent bucks not quite as old BUT because of food sources still good size deer, you just hope and pray you get them before the guy hunting next door does.I get sooooo much hunting in between them both by the end of season I'm tired...I had enough....almost 3 months of solid hunting.....phew!

I think it's bigger than the ADK park itself since it goes all the way to the northern border of NY.

More deer are taken in the southern zone because the deer density per square mile is a lot higher, more antlerless deer permits are issued and the hunter density is higher also.

The habitat is the Southern zone is better for feeding a larger number of deer and the winters are not as harsh as up north.  Therefore a lot more deer can survive until spring.

If you get out of the park and head into dairy country you can see tons of deer.  We have a camp in Gouverneur and started planting food plots three years ago - last year there were a few times I went out and saw 15 deer a day which, for that area, is unheard of.  My buddy has a camp in Lisbon which is dairy land (several farms with 2,000+ head) and he'll see 100+ deer in the corn fields during the winter.