Lock Down??

DeerLogic

Lockdown is overblown.

Almost as bad as the October Lull.

The lull is a myth, lockdown is blown out of proportion.

I think many people misinterpret seeking behavior and estrous chasing many times. Sure, one may have come in early, too. That's not necessearily meaning the part of the cycle that hunters really enjoy seeing has happened.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I've also see several mature bucks "locked" on does. The does are not ready to breed yet so they are moving so where the doe goes so does the buck. Just hope the doe drags the big boy past your stand so you get a shot. This morning I had a hot doe bed down in front of me with the buck circling trying to fend off smaller bucks. Never came into bow range however. good show though.

Calm before the storm.... i think the bucks like to find an unpopular doe that happens to cross their path daily and just kinda tag alpng at this point... be ready, maybe practice their pick up lines. They broke out of the bachlor packs so they need to practice..... lol. Idk. Ive seen the same 2.5 since opener with the same doe.....and the rut/lock down did NOT start oct 1 !

I have a plan to be in the stand today early afternoon will be there till I cant se my sights hunting in 4o and if we get a little rain and snow falling I will get one the big boys like the wet cold weather hehehe also I beleave its the calm before the storm still seeing bucks hanging out in groups good luck to all

We are in the tail end of seeking and moving into the chase phase. The breeding phase (aka lockdown) will occur in a week or so. That doesnt mean you wont see bucks, they will still be seeking out does, but the thing that people refer to as lockdown just means the does arent moving much while they are in actual estrous, and the bucks stay near them. Find the does, the bucks will be there.