Rut or Rut what's going on.....

CRACKER

I do like to hunt funnels as much as possible.

who doesn't? i see people put ladder stands in the dumbest places sometimes. 90% of a good hunt is prep. So yeah, you might have to spend half a day clearing lanes and making an approach trail... or you could spend an hour and stick it up in a clearing in the hardwoods. Don't bitch when you dont see any deer.

I have a 2.5 month old at home and a new house. I'm going to hunt my best stands that my father and I spent days prepping. I'm going to hunt the best weather and moons. If i had more vacation this year and a wife that wasn't freaking out from lack of sleep then i'd hunt those low probability days too. Being smart about hunting "on a budget" only makes sense to me.

i'm so confused after reading this thread, i think i'll just quit hunting because it seems all the time i've spent in the woods the past six weeks was just a waste of time , i'll just sit on my couch and play cabelas dangeruos game hunting i,m pretty sure i dont have to worry about moon phases, pre-rut, chasing, rut, breeding,post-rut, damn i'm starting to get a headache from all this . yahooo just shot a mt. lion

Watched a buck this morning just meander on by about an hour after a doe came through on the same trail. ....Who the bleep knows. A few days ago I saw a buck make a scrape and then chase a doe a little before giving up other, so I thought by now it would be hot and heavy . I still think this week end and next week will be good, but then again who the bleep knows.

3k is AR and i can tell you one thing there has not been any day time movement!! over the last 7 days saw small 4 point and a little 6 point and thats it no does ... trail camera is blowing up at night tons of pictures no bucks

Edited by hunterjohn

Lasy Thur. AM in 8H crazy. Saw 17 -20 deer by 8:30 or so. Bucks running does all over, bucks grunting and running open fields in the dark as I walked in.

Saw a nice buck go into thick brush tipped the 'can' twice he was under my stand less then a minute later, then ran after some other running deer....

Yesterday, I messed up my bow while waiting for Joe to pick me up.... I sat in truck waiting for bow shop to open. Joe saw 7 deer called in two bucks, heard a bunch of running, grunting all in first hour, I had 3 doe walk to with in 30 yards of truck.

Thats 30 deer in a hand full of hours lots of bucks chasing does necks streched out grunting like mad.

I don't know much about pre rut, post rut, seeking phase, moon phase, set phasers on stun, I just know they were running all over.

I wish word would get to my bucks (in 8F) that they are "suppose" to be chasing does and getting goofy now! NOTHING!! Bucks aren't moving (during daylight hours anyway) , I've only had 1 pic of a buck moving during daylight hours in the past ~3 weeks, I haven't seen a buck since Oct. 31st, does and fawns are moving around like normal with NO bucks in tow, etc... WTH?? I'm starting to think all my bucks have gone gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.... B)

Edited by Cabin Fever

I'm in almost the same boat, Cabin fever. Last weekend I was worried about missing the hottest part of the rut while I was at work. I show up Saturday morning and the fawns are back with mama, the young bucks are still together, and the older bucks are nowhere to be found. A scrape I watched a few deer work last weekend looks like it hasn't been touched again all week. I have all week off, and here I sit on my computer because for the last three days, my deer sightings have ended by 8:00. And, I am moving around with the wind to keep my spots clean. They are just on a normal feeding pattern here, and most years, the mature bucks don't show up until the does come in. May be another year of a couple does in the freezer. But, it sure beats the hell out of working even if I do get up earlier for hunting.

crazy rut activity this weekend in 3m. My brother and I each saw 4 different bucks each. I had two shooters come within 35 yards (neither got into a shooting lane). Both were grunting like crazy. I also saw a few bucks chasing does from the side of the road.

Remember it has been Warm outside the the last couple of days.The deer are getting there winter coats on and the are lieing low during the day in the 60 degree weather.The next 2 days are proberly going to be the Best of this month.

Exactly, if you arent seeing deer and especaily big bucks its most likely due to the fact that you over pressured the area and a warm november so far. You wont see rut activity come this saturday when the guns go off, all that activity will shut down or take place at night.

I talked to 3 people in 8F that saw bucks breeding does either yesterday or today. I had a 3 year old buck go across the road nose to ground at 5:30 today about 1 1/2 miles from my property where I had pictures of him two weeks ago. i think breeding is in full swing in this area anyway.

I talked to 3 people in 8F that saw bucks breeding does either yesterday or today. I had a 3 year old buck go across the road nose to ground at 5:30 today about 1 1/2 miles from my property where I had pictures of him two weeks ago. i think breeding is in full swing in this area anyway.

8F has been tough to figure out. i see a lot of nocturnal movement on my cams. and the daytime movement is wildly inconsistent. I think you just have to get in the woods and hope at this point.

I'm in almost the same boat, Cabin fever. Last weekend I was worried about missing the hottest part of the rut while I was at work. I show up Saturday morning and the fawns are back with mama, the young bucks are still together, and the older bucks are nowhere to be found. A scrape I watched a few deer work last weekend looks like it hasn't been touched again all week. I have all week off, and here I sit on my computer because for the last three days, my deer sightings have ended by 8:00. And, I am moving around with the wind to keep my spots clean. They are just on a normal feeding pattern here, and most years, the mature bucks don't show up until the does come in. May be another year of a couple does in the freezer. But, it sure beats the hell out of working even if I do get up earlier for hunting.

Unless a hunter messed up the spot, these statements tell you a ton of info. The question is, what are you doing about it?

It's like being given an open book test and getting a 50 on it. Sheesh...the answer is right there. They are not scraping and signposting as much right now because bucks are focused more on receptive does. The first time I see a primary scrape leafed over, it tells me where to go immediately. Find the does, and find funnels between bedding areas, and then find the thick stuff. One of those three options will pan out for you. Just don't give up, thinking the rut is over...cause it's not. The back side of breeding is the best time imo to take the top end bucks. Mature bucks are more willing to take risks at the end of the rut for the late estrous does. And, that time is nearing over the next week to 10 days.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1