Would you register all your guns?

I think this is a 2 sided discussion and both are pertinent to talk about.

A) Would registering your guns one time with serial numbers with the state or fed gov't protect the gun owner if the guns were stolen or used in a crime?

B) Would this in turn, over time, contribute to a major decrease in killings by thugs and criminals who obtain the guns illegally?

I would not be against it because I actually intend to take pics of each gun I own with a 3x5 card listing the model and serial number for my homeowners insurance in case of theft. Also for proof to police that I did indeed own those guns and have been reported stolen in the event of their use in a murder.

I also feel that each time a gun is purchased from an individual, the purchaser would pay a nominal fee, say $10 for the transfer thru a dealer. Pain in the ass... a little bit for sure. But you have to do this with handguns now any way.

I feel that if this were to be implemented that, over time, it very well Could have an effect on reducing the number of senseless killings that go on in this country every day. Like I said elsewhere, even the sound minded individual who goes wacko because his wife left him for another man or a similar situation can never be foreseen or prevented.

But if we could make a major decrease, over time, in the reckless acts of drive by shootings and house shootings, like where the 2 yo child was killed in his grammas arms when thugs shot through the front door of a house in Atlanta I'm all for it.

I'm all in favor of trying to stop the day by day senseless acts of murder on people all over this country and if a well thought out plan that included registering my guns would help... I'm all for it.

Probably the most sensible post I have ever read on the topic of gun control on this forum.

Elmo they can tax the guns right out of your hands and don't have to make them illegal. Think that is far fetched? Look at some of the NYS pistol permit areas that require a pretty hefty fee to renew them. How about Illinois passing the $.05 a round tax?

Funny how when we are talking guns it is acceptable to throw on a small tax but if we require a few bucks for a one time ID to be used for voter identification of proof of citizenship...that is an undue hardship on the poor.

They already have. :angry::crying: The high cost is why I can't get a pistol permit.

My point is that it sucks and I'm totally against it and I will fight it through any LEGAL means necessary.

Chicago requires gun registration-the homicide rate is through the roof. Washington D.C. had a total handgun ban. The result? A 200% increase in homicides. I'm not even going to go into the European theatre on this. It would seem that implementing new laws, just creates more victims. The numbers don't lie.

Chicago requires gun registration-the homicide rate is through the roof. Washington D.C. had a total handgun ban. The result? A 200% increase in homicides. I'm not even going to go into the European theatre on this. It would seem that implementing new laws, just creates more victims. The numbers don't lie.

Numbers may not lie, but you sure don't seem to have a problem with it.

http://www.wjla.com/...ears-70861.html

Edited by Sogaard

Since we already have registration for handguns I guess the original question was about long-guns. Well, I just want to point out that Canada experimented with that fiasco and have finally been forced to scrap the whole idea as impractical.

But what the heck, I can see another nice bureaucracy created to handle that mass of ever-changing data. It's all paid for with government money, so it's free .... right? Sure .... let's put another bunch of people on the payroll doing worthless busy-work.

Just another place for crazy errors and snafus and hardships for law abiding gun owners. It kind of reminds me of the time when I received a parking ticket from NYC when I had never even been to NYC. Yup, they had the make, model, year and license number right. Yeah, that was a pain to straighten out, but just imagine if that nonsense had involved a gun used in a homicide. Chances would be that I would be taken away in cuffs and then made to try to straighten it out. You people that want the government involved in every facet of your lives ought to take stock in just how deeply they already are interlaced in your daily activities. But then what the heck, it's just one more tiny inconvenience, right? And we have already seen how effective pistol registration is (apply a little sarcasm there). That burdensome mass of data can be undone (and routinely is), with a small dremmel tool equipped with a grinding stone.

• Like 2

when did Canada scrap this. I know at least Ontario is still very strict about this. I have relatives there who pay a small fortune to register their guns, and lots of regulations regarding storage. If you think they have eased the regs, try taking a gun there. You better allow about 9 months prior to get the paperwork done.

Edited by bubba

when did Canada scrap this. I know at least Ontario is still very strict about this. I have relatives there who pay a small fortune to register their guns, and lots of regulations regarding storage. If you think they have eased the regs, try taking a gun there. You better allow about 9 months prior to get the paperwork done.

Back in April of this year for the national long gun registry.

I've been to Canada several times with guns, including this past summer.Takes $25 and about 15 minutes if they ain't busy and you pick a smaller entry point.

I don't think Ontario is any different; thats a national reg, from RCMP; not provincial.

http://www.rcmp-grc....-visite-eng.htm

Hand guns are another story.

(I should ad Quebec kept the registry going but its all tied up in the courts there. Leave it to that province to mess up the works.....the NY equivalent in Canada. LOL)

Edited by Dinsdale

I live in the city of New York....all my guns are already registered so I guess it won't bother me none. They don't need to take them away from me by force. All they have to do is make them illegal and I'll turn them in.

Yes, I'm a very pro-guns but there are a few things I enjoy more than guns not the least of which are getting married, having children, being there for them, and watching them grow up. I don't see it as being a coward but rather being selfless and a realist. I unfortunately have so many family that depends on me that if I have to give up my guns so I can continue to be there for them then that is what I must do.

Bottom line is the true fight is to keeping gun ownership legal. Registered or not does not make that much of an impact.

What do you do when you sell a gun that you registered with NYC?

I'll add this for thought about travelling hunters.

I've hunted a half dozen different countries, some take up to a year for a resident to get a gun put on a registry; a couple have storage requirments....blah blah blah.

Toughest place for a travelling hunter to get an import permit.....USA. Not even close. 6-9 mos typical.

Other than having a letter of invitation, and a 4473 from the US.....I don't recall it taking more than an hour to get my guns cleared at any airport I've flown into.

I find that kinda ironic.

Edited by Dinsdale

That was after the Supreme Court decision-was it not?

The ban went into effect in 1976. The ban was overturned by the SCOTUS in 2008. Here are the murder numbers from 1960-2011. Murder rate increases in DC in the late 80s and mid 90s had to do with the crack epidemic. It had nothing to do with the handgun ban. The rate rises and falls completely independently from it.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm

Keep in mind, I was completely against the handgun ban in DC and I was glad it finally got struck down. The correlation you make stating that the results of the gun ban was a 200% increase in murder in DC is completely false.

EDIT: I tried to list the numbers so I wouldn't have to link them, but the formatting kept coming out awful. You'll have to follow the link to see the info.

Edited by Sogaard

Back in April of this year for the national long gun registry.

I've been to Canada several times with guns, including this past summer.Takes $25 and about 15 minutes if they ain't busy and you pick a smaller entry point.

I don't think Ontario is any different; thats a national reg, from RCMP; not provincial.

http://www.rcmp-grc....-visite-eng.htm

Hand guns are another story.

(I should ad Quebec kept the registry going but its all tied up in the courts there. Leave it to that province to mess up the works.....the NY equivalent in Canada. LOL)

i stand corrected

I wonder that myself. Never got around to checking since I have not sold anything yet but that might chane soon as I do have one rifle I don't really use.

Edited by Elmo

Probably the most sensible post I have ever read on the topic of gun control on this forum.

Seems that way on the surface, but like most other gun laws already on the books, it wouldn't work.

Criminals will not do the transfers through dealers and there are millions of illegal guns, as well as stolen guns, out there now. And making it harder to buy them, makes them more valuable to thieves. Therefore more will be stolen.

The fee you suggest on transfers could be raised to hundreds of dollars to prevent transfers. These type of laws only impact law abiding gun owners and do nothing to prevent crime. It is a statistical fact that is proven every time a gun law is evaluated.

Registration is not needed to protect a gun owner against liability for theft of his guns, reporting them stolen is what protects you. The fact that the law abiding gun owner would even be held liable for his stolen gun's criminal use is a prime example of how much the government hates gun owners and coddles the felons who commit the real crimes.

Registration is desired by the Fed for only one reason, they want to know who owns guns and how many you have, so when they decide to make them illegal, you will have no excuse, or choice, but to turn them in. This is how it was done in England and Australia. Please study their gun registartion history and confiscation before you decide this would be a good idea. It most certainly is not.

• Like 2

Will there be a charge to regeister your guns,like there is for cars, boats, ATV's, and trailers, and will you have to re-register them every year and pay a fee?

A 1 time fee per selling transaction of a nominal fee of say $10 just for the paper trail, not annually like a car.

Grouse says "Registration is not needed to protect a gun owner against liability for theft of his guns, reporting them stolen is what protects you".

Then how does one prove they ever owned the gun to begin with. Anyone can say they had a gun stolen or all their guns stolen but proving you ever owned them is another story. Unless you have the original sale from the store but what if most of your guns were purchased private.

That's why I plan to take pics of all my guns and email to my home owners insurance agent.

Edited by nybuckboy

Why would you want to prove you ever owned a gun other than to collect on the insurance? If the cops come to your home asking you about a gun, they already know you owned it.

When you report a gun stolen, the police report has the serial # on it along with the description. That is all that is required for the police to accept you as the owner. If you claim you owned a gun that you didn't, that is filing a false police report and carries severe penalties. That is why folks block out serial #'s on guns they sell online. This way no one else can list them as their own.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got the answer. I basically proceed the same way as I would as if I'm buying. Meaning, fill out the form and mail it in. The only difference is that when I fill out the form, I would list myself under the seller section and I would fill out the buyer in the buyer section.

• 2 weeks later...

the only argument i would make against registering is for fear that one day they decided to take them all away. Otherwise, if you're a responsible gun owner you should have nothing to hide

Well, I suspect there is a lot more important reasons for not registering long guns. There was some reason why Canada instituted the horrendously expensive sytem of long gun registration, maintained that huge blob of unmanageable data for a few years, and then decided that they had to scrap the entire foolishness.

I think before you could come up with an intelligent answer to the original question of whether you favor it or not, it might be useful to study the Canadian experimentation with that very same idea, and find out why we should be able to do what they couldn't.

Apparently there are more negatives to the system than the mere concerns of individual citizens.