what r ya using

ants

Going to spend my season with my grandfather's Savage .300 Model 99. It became mine last year when my 80 year old uncle, my hunting partner for the past 30 plus years, came to the house and surprised me with it saying, "I know you always wanted grampa's rifle and I think it's time for you to have it".

This rifle has not been in the woods since the old days when my grandfather used to go with his buddies, and pack supplies by mule and wagon back into the Adirondack's at McKeever. To the best of my knowledge he only killed a couple deer in his lifetime and only with this rifle. He was always so busy working hard to take care of his family it left precious little time for him to pursue the sport he loved so much, hunting.

Nothing would please me more this season than to take a buck with his rifle. Grampa........this one is for you!

I have my dad's same rifle. I take his out for a walk once a year or so. Makes me sure think of him when I do.

All about the tight cover stands....336 Marlin 35 Rem with 200 gr XTP's over 38 grs of Varget. That and a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt with 27 grs of H110 and a 250 gr Nosler. When sitting our stands on the fields its a 700 by Red Hawk Rifles in 30-06 with 150 gr Noslers over 60.5 grs of RL19.

Edited by eagle rider

Going to spend my season with my grandfather's Savage .300 Model 99. It became mine last year when my 80 year old uncle, my hunting partner for the past 30 plus years, came to the house and surprised me with it saying, "I know you always wanted grampa's rifle and I think it's time for you to have it".

This rifle has not been in the woods since the old days when my grandfather used to go with his buddies, and pack supplies by mule and wagon back into the Adirondack's at McKeever. To the best of my knowledge he only killed a couple deer in his lifetime and only with this rifle. He was always so busy working hard to take care of his family it left precious little time for him to pursue the sport he loved so much, hunting.

Nothing would please me more this season than to take a buck with his rifle. Grampa........this one is for you!

I'm sure your Grandpa will be with you on your hunt ... Good Luck !

I have my dad's same rifle. I take his out for a walk once a year or so. Makes me sure think of him when I do.

I had a 1950 Savage 99 in 300. Got rid of it some years back and have been kicking myself in the a$$ ever since. Great classic rifle and a great deer caliber ....I'm a freaking idiot!!

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7MM08 with my handloads of Barnes 120 TSX at a little over 3000 FPS muzzle velocity, according to my chrony...The scope is a Burris 2x-7x.

Nice days when I am stand hunting, M1 Garand, 1943 vintage, issue sights. 150 grain Winchester powerpoint over 47.0 grains H4895, supposed to duplicate the military load that the M1 was designed for.

If I am hunting somehwere that I expect a LOOOOOOONG shot, Win M70 lightweight in .280 Rem..140 Barnes TTSX behind a max load of RL-19.. Scope is a Leupold fixed power 6X x 36MM..

Remington 870 Wingmaster with a slug barrel on it-- my dad's gun. I grew up shooting it and even though I can legally use a rifle here now, I am just so used to this shotgun that I feel more confident with it. The area I deer hunt is pretty thick so I rarely would have the chance to shoot >50 yards anyhow.

• Like 1

That's awesome. I have my Dads old 1903 and 7400 (both 30-06) that I have hunted with. It's almost like having them with you again.

Edited by eagle rider

For rifle areas, Remington 700 with Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 with 150 grain Remington Core Lokt.

For shotgun areas, Mossberg 500 12 gauge smoothbore with red dot using Winchester Super X rifled slugs.

Just got a muzzleloaders and I haven't even shot it yet. It's a CVA Wolf with a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn 1.75-4X32 shotgun scope using 777 pellets and TC 250 grain shockwaves.

North country- Remington 7600 30-06, bushnell elite 3-9 x 40, 168 gr Winchester ballistic silvertip.

At home sitting in the woods- Savage 110 bolt action 30-06, Leupold 3-9 x 40, 168 grain Winchester ballistic silvertip.

Sitting the field- H&R single shot ultra hunter 25-06, Leupold 4-12 x 40, 117 grain Hornady custom SST

Edited by chiefbkt

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7MM08 with my handloads of Barnes 120 TSX at a little over 3000 FPS muzzle velocity, according to my chrony...The scope is a Burris 2x-7x.

Nice days when I am stand hunting, M1 Garand, 1943 vintage, issue sights. 150 grain Winchester powerpoint over 47.0 grains H4895, supposed to duplicate the military load that the M1 was designed for.

If I am hunting somehwere that I expect a LOOOOOOONG shot, Win M70 lightweight in .280 Rem..140 Barnes TTSX behind a max load of RL-19.. Scope is a Leupold fixed power 6X x 36MM..

the 7mm-08 shoots pretty flat. I bet flatter than the .280

the 7mm-08 shoots pretty flat. I bet flatter than the .280

Not much difference, but the .280 has a slight advantage, at least with the loads I am using...It's splitting hairs to compare them, but velocity is the same . Both graph a little over 3000 fps. In the 7mm08 I am using a 120 grain boattail, and in the .280 I am using a 140 grain boattail of the same brand and design. The .280 with the heavier bullet at the same velocity has a SLIGHT advantage in both retained velocity at long range and energy.