Crossbows in 2013

bkln

You want quotes? Heres a few...

but spending 9 sits in the stand all season and seeing deer everytime and shooting a 150lb 5 point with a bow and 130lb nice 6 with a gun is not the same thing as blasting button bucks. Yes i have a 3 month old and didn't hunt to my usual standards. i've already admitted this.

1. All I hunt is private land that family members or that I own myself (yes at the age of 29 I own some chunks of land) does that stick in your craw? Does it bother you I have a white collar job and I'm successful and I hunt ethically and I'm picky at what I shoot?

sorry if i dont want all the pumpkin 870 toting cigarette smoking yee-haws i see during gun season messing up my bow season

Youve made some remarks about "the hunter you are today" in other threads as well. You are one of those guys that tries to make himself out to be some kind of hero hunter. Egotistical nonsense is all it really is.

no, no arrow. this is his car right here

LOL, I can just see Belo riding around town with one of those with a buck strapped to the hood, and honking the horn to gather attention from everyone. LOL If the scrawny buck fails to impress anyone, then he starts juggling bowling pins. LOL

• Like 1

Hey Belo, since youre so "ethical", whats up with this?...

2 years ago i had a bow shot from 35' in the air basket 8 point cornering towards me at about 20 yards. The arrow sliced a lung but came out the bottom of the stomach. I had 3 drops of blood and a green arrow. I was sick thinking i had gut shot the deer. After backing out for 3 hours and 2 hours of just wandering around the woods I lucky to find him. His intestines had plugged the exit hole.

Quartering to with archery tackle? Ethical? Please, tell me more.....

for what it's worth while they may not support my way of going about it, my stance on crossbows is shared by manyhttp://www.newyorkbo...s.com/xbow.html

FYI - membership there is around 2000 statewide I heard.

1% or less of the hunters buying an archery licence in NY.

1/3 of 1% of the overall big game hunters.

They left a lot of telling comparisons out - biggest ones being those using gunpowder and those using strings for propulsion.

Edited by SteveB

who cares what NYB says or thinks! As someone else already said, NYB has driven wedges between all kinds of deer hunters in the state. I used to be an active member until I figured out what a bunch of elitist snobs run that organization. They alienated a lot of bowhunters right out of that organization. I can think of quite a few guys who dropped out because of their nutty stances.

I have bowhunted for 26 years, I see no problem allowing crossbows in archery season.

As I posted earlier before this thread was hijacked, I will be first in line to buy a crossbow. A long time ago a lot of guys said the same thing when compound bows came out.

Edited by JPP
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is deja vu all over again.

When I was a younger man I walked into a sporting goods store in Wisconsin. There was a big argument going on about allowing people to use compounds. Most back then shot instinctive and it was felt by some that if you not willing to put the time in practicing you shouldn't be out in the woods with a compound, after all it was just like a gun. It had sights, a mechanical release with a trigger ect.

Later Savage came out with their smokeless muzzleloader, same big debates. I even know some hunter safety instructors who were boycotting them because of the ML-10. I have one and love it. It’s all I use during regular gun and muzzle loading season.

Today it's crossbow.

My thought is how does it affect hunter participation and is it more or less humane in harvesting the animals. For me the crossbow would be fine during the archery season.

If it's not allowed soon I will no longer be hunting during the archery season due to shoulder problems.

Sometimes it seems like hunters are their own worst enemy.

Bob

• Like 1

This is deja vu all over again.

When I was a younger man I walked into a sporting goods store in Wisconsin. There was a big argument going on about allowing people to use compounds. Most back then shot instinctive and it was felt by some that if you not willing to put the time in practicing you shouldn't be out in the woods with a compound, after all it was just like a gun. It had sights, a mechanical release with a trigger ect.

Later Savage came out with their smokeless muzzleloader, same big debates. I even know some hunter safety instructors who were boycotting them because of the ML-10. I have one and love it. It’s all I use during regular gun and muzzle loading season.

Today it's crossbow.

My thought is how does it affect hunter participation and is it more or less humane in harvesting the animals. For me the crossbow would be fine during the archery season.

If it's not allowed soon I will no longer be hunting during the archery season due to shoulder problems.

Sometimes it seems like hunters are their own worst enemy.

Bob

im with this guy!