Do you think some hunting laws are pointless?!

Hubbyhunts. ...depending on the area you can basically shoot and unlimited number of deer. Some areas like 8C as long as you don't shoot a buck they will keep giving you bonus tags.

this year without any bonus tags i had

1- either sex Bow/ muzzleloader

1 Antlerless only Bow /Muzzleloader

1- Regular season antlered tag

2 "Doe permits" from the first draw

2 "doe permits" from the second draw

2 "doe permits" signed over to me throught he means detailsed by DEC

2 DMAP "Nusance" type antlerless tags fromteh property I lease.

that is 11 legal deer without taking benefit of any bonus areas.

Anyone know the reasoning behind why you can't shoot deer in water?

That one has never made much sence to me..

I assume it means while they are chest deep swimming and not just standing in an ankle deep crick?

I think its a safety thing about ricochet's skipping across the water

• 2 weeks later...

That would make sence.

I was hung up on it being based on something to do with fair chase or ethics.

I'm am not sure of the reasoning. It may also involve fair chase. In parts of Canada and Alaska it is common practice for the natives to watch for an animal or a herd of animals ( moose, caribou, deer) to start to swim a river or lake, and then paddle or motor up to the swimming animals, pop them in the head, and then throw a line on them and drag them to shore.

This practice may have been common in parts of NY , like the Adirondacks, at one time..Just guessing..

wow there are some very good reasons a lot of those laws are in place. The cost of your license goes to pay for DEC, and conservation programs (for now) and I dont mind paying for. As far as tags. You can shoot 2 bucks a year, another antlerless with bow/mz and can get up to 4 doe tags if you reapply and that's not including nuisance permits. If people are posting more than 2 bucks a year on facebook they're actually documenting illegal activities, but people are stupid.

This may not be popular, but I'd rather have 2 buck tags to take whatever season as I'd rather continue to bow hunt after my first and just skip gun all together.

I'm frustrated too sometimes. A guy I went to high school with posted pictures of 3 different bucks he took during regular season. He and all his friends post picks every few days of them with deer. I reported him last week to DEC via the online forum and the investigator called me back and said "where does this guy live? The troopers don't know him" I told him the town but I don't know his address. He said "yeah unless we catch him in the act it's hard to do anything about it. You know anyone can post what they want on facebook right?" "I said "ok, just thought i'd let you know, bye"

you can do a simple name/town search on google and you'd be amazed at what you can find. If he owns a home it's a matter of public record in the town property tax records. Try yourself and you'd be amazed.

this website is scary. try it out on yourself http://www.spokeo.com/

wow there are some very good reasons a lot of those laws are in place. The cost of your license goes to pay for DEC, and conservation programs (for now) and I dont mind paying for. As far as tags. You can shoot 2 bucks a year, another antlerless with bow/mz and can get up to 4 doe tags if you reapply and that's not including nuisance permits. If people are posting more than 2 bucks a year on facebook they're actually documenting illegal activities, but people are stupid.

This may not be popular, but I'd rather have 2 buck tags to take whatever season as I'd rather continue to bow hunt after my first and just skip gun all together.

actually the money the state gets from licenses is a small part of the money the state gets. The number of licenses is more impoortant as that is how we get federal monies through the pitman robertson act

actually the money the state gets from licenses is a small part of the money the state gets. The number of licenses is more impoortant as that is how we get federal monies through the pitman robertson act

Bubba;

State money is matched three to one by federal funds - Every state dollar is matched by three federal dollars. Besides license fees the DEC could use funds from the voluntary habitat-access stamp or any other stamp or permit it issues to obtain matching dollars. Re authorizing the (NY State) duck stamp and creating a woodcock stamp, and a dove stamp, would provide more dollars the state could use to leverage federal conservation funds.

Edited by mike rossi