Can you carry two muzzleloaders

older042

G man, just curious.. what 50 cal pistol do you have? i was looking at the optima one.. only 300 bucks, and id love to have a 2nd shot during ml season.

cabelas has them for 279.....i was thinking about getting one...think it would be a blast to hunt with

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CVA-Optima-50-Caliber-Pistol/1383650.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcva%2Boptima%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D28%26y%3D6&Ntt=cva+optima&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Yes they are have taken several deer with each,just make sure to register them on your pistol permit if you have one, or when you get one(you can buy it without a permit, i have a couple of blk powder revolvers i would really like to use .44 colt army, and a 36 cal navy, but always forget to grab em for regular season(illegal in late season). i have taken wild boar with my knight mk85 and that was awesome... canned hunt but "guide" couldn't believe how fast it dropped from a 50 cal pistol...lol

Half the fun of muzzleloading is the mystery of whether the gun is going to go off... one shot, one kill... powder, patch, ball.. I was so disappointed when things changed from a primitive muzzleloader season to allowing inline rifles that guys are using now. Not that the inlines weren't a good idea as far as a gun goes... but they are no more a true smoke pole than a sword is a pocket knife. The original TC Scout is probably the first inline, but at least it was loaded the same way as the older hawkin style side hammers... powder pellets, jacketed sabots, 209 primers, and scopes changed everything. All the muzzleloader season is now is just an extra 9 days of gun hunting... there are only a handful of us truly traditional type hunters left. I understand all the arguments for the inline, and they're fun to shoot like any other gun... just don't get why some fellas just are so resistant to doing things a little like they did in the past... lots of hunters talk about tradition, but few understand what it really is. It always comes down to having to kill a deer at all costs and making it as easy as possible to do so... IMO taking the challenge right out of hunt.

• Like 1

Half the fun of muzzleloading is the mystery of whether the gun is going to go off... one shot, one kill... powder, patch, ball.. I was so disappointed when things changed from a primitive muzzleloader season to allowing inline rifles that guys are using now. Not that the inlines weren't a good idea as far as a gun goes... but they are no more a true smoke pole than a sword is a pocket knife. The original TC Scout is probably the first inline, but at least it was loaded the same way as the older hawkin style side hammers... powder pellets, jacketed sabots, 209 primers, and scopes changed everything. All the muzzleloader season is now is just an extra 9 days of gun hunting... there are only a handful of us truly traditional type hunters left. I understand all the arguments for the inline, and they're fun to shoot like any other gun... just don't get why some fellas just are so resistant to doing things a little like they did in the past... lots of hunters talk about tradition, but few understand what it really is. It always comes down to having to kill a deer at all costs and making it as easy as possible to do so... IMO taking the challenge right out of hunt.

For me ,it was the easy clean up afterwards.

I know this is going to cause a stir , but whats the point of muzzleloading or late bow season.. By the end of gun its so hard to shoot a deer, then limit to 30 yards or one shot with the possibilty of miss fire or delay. Talk about wounding a animal.. If the DEC wants a larger deer take , they should rethink hunting season??? The wheather is clearly changing in NY .. Opening bow two weeks earlier was a great brain fart in my opion.... I have been hunting 20 years and when gun season hits you have the first week to get a deer and then they are tied up and gone ( Nocturnal) All the guys and gals I hunt with took deer opening week and no sightings after same as every year.. I have always said to my group why not open gun one week earlier and that would be a awesome gun season..

I know this is going to cause a stir , but whats the point of muzzleloading or late bow season.. By the end of gun its so hard to shoot a deer, then limit to 30 yards or one shot with the possibilty of miss fire or delay. Talk about wounding a animal.. If the DEC wants a larger deer take , they should rethink hunting season??? The wheather is clearly changing in NY .. Opening bow two weeks earlier was a great brain fart in my opion.... I have been hunting 20 years and when gun season hits you have the first week to get a deer and then they are tied up and gone ( Nocturnal) All the guys and gals I hunt with took deer opening week and no sightings after same as every year.. I have always said to my group why not open gun one week earlier and that would be a awesome gun season..

Sounds to me like you need to change up your tactics. Deer dont drop off of the face of the earth till it gets dark, they are still there all through gun season.

I'm betting that after the first week most sat in the same stands for the rest of the season, in the same hunting area expecting that things would change. I have shot 90% of my southern zone bucks in the first week of December and have filled every doe tag I have ever gotten for the last 15 years (except for 2010 season) during the late muzzleloader. Like I've said here before... not seeing deer is more the result of what you are doing than what the deer or someone else is doing.

• His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows where abouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below.

Love that Movie.

The Book the movie is basd upon is, Crow Killer The Saga of Liver eating Johnson. They left the fact that he ate the livers of the Indians out of the movie for some reason.

Watch your top knot !

Late muzzleloader is when we fill doe tags(still manage to get a buck or two) to reach our goal of 10 off the property a year. Thankfull so many people only hunt the first week and weekends that the deer return to simple feed /bed patterns by muzzleloader and hunting is easy. most shots are under 50 yards anyway. the only weay to improve hunting and take would be to have split seasons here 2 weeks bow /close 2 weeks. 7 day gun close 2 weeks , 5 day gun close two weeks, week for late bow muzzleloader... hunter numbers drop so fast after opening day deer can lay and not move till late as they are undedisturberd. so get a muzzleloader get out and have fun!

The Book the movie is basd upon is, Crow Killer The Saga of Liver eating Johnson. They left the fact that he ate the livers of the Indians out of the movie for some reason.

Watch your top knot !

I will be buying that book. Sounds interesting. The comparison to the movie part....not the liver eating part...lol

Might find it on line, I got it years ago out west, where the book stores have a "Western" section.

One of my all time fav movies and book as well .

In the handgun world carring 2 guns is known as the "New York reload", guess it could work for ML as well .

Sounds to me like you need to change up your tactics. Deer dont drop off of the face of the earth till it gets dark, they are still there all through gun season.

I dont need to change my tactics I shoot a buck with my bow every year for 20 years and one with my gun for the last 20 years ,, I also took three does this year ...Persoanlly dont agree with the Archery season opening up 2 weeks early,, It was hot and to much folige on trees.. You cant even hang a deer its just to warm.. I saw deer consistantly thought the new opening of the season.. I personally dont like it and have found to many people I know that were thrilled with it,, in my circles... I also hunt three seperate propertys in locations far different from each other,, with people that have hunted theses lands for years not overhunted or pressured or pushed.. Again my opion that the wheather has changed the deer movent excluding rut, to some degree..The deer simply are not pressured to move for food the grass is still green and its raining on DEC 10 have not have snow on the ground here yet that hasnt been gone in a day... I also have taken a doe with my muzzleloader or been presented with a shot every year .. I have in 20 years only taken one buck with it.. I understand that every area offers differnet opportunitys and deer density ... This however is my view, and alot of people who I hunt and talk to .. I think gun season would be better of opening a week earlier Just my opion I dont have a axe to grind or dog to fight ..Good luck to all Maybe this will be the yaer I get a giant with my smokepole, and Ill eat my words

I dont need to change my tactics I shoot a buck with my bow every year for 20 years and one with my gun for the last 20 years ,, I also took three does this year ...Personally dont agree with the Archery season opening up 2 weeks early,, It was hot and to much folige on trees.. You cant even hang a deer its just to warm.. I saw deer consistantly thought the new opening of the season.. I personally dont like it and have found to many people I know that were thrilled with it,, in my circles... I also hunt three seperate propertys in locations far different from each other,, with people that have hunted theses lands for years not overhunted or pressured or pushed.. Again my opion that the wheather has changed the deer movent excluding rut, to some degree..The deer simply are not pressured to move for food the grass is still green and its raining on DEC 10 have not have snow on the ground here yet that hasnt been gone in a day... I also have taken a doe with my muzzleloader or been presented with a shot every year .. I have in 20 years only taken one buck with it.. I understand that every area offers differnet opportunitys and deer density ... This however is my view, and alot of people who I hunt and talk to .. I think gun season would be better of opening a week earlier Just my opion I dont have a axe to grind or dog to fight ..Good luck to all Maybe this will be the yaer I get a giant with my smokepole, and Ill eat my words

I think most of the guys that don't see deer late season are basically stand hunters... it only goes to reason that stand hunters will see less deer as deer movement slows down... some spots are better than others. Like you, I have never had trouble finding deer.. my hats off to those hunters that see lots of deer all year from a stand... they must be doing something right, have a great spot or are just plain lucky as hell... I can sit in a treestand for maybe a half hour and I get so bored and figity that it becomes absolutely no fun for me... I am one of those that always wants to know what is just around the next corner... waiting for deer drives me nuts!! :)

I dont need to change my tactics I shoot a buck with my bow every year for 20 years and one with my gun for the last 20 years ,, I also took three does this year ...Persoanlly dont agree with the Archery season opening up 2 weeks early,, It was hot and to much folige on trees.. You cant even hang a deer its just to warm.. I saw deer consistantly thought the new opening of the season.. I personally dont like it and have found to many people I know that were thrilled with it,, in my circles... I also hunt three seperate propertys in locations far different from each other,, with people that have hunted theses lands for years not overhunted or pressured or pushed.. Again my opion that the wheather has changed the deer movent excluding rut, to some degree..The deer simply are not pressured to move for food the grass is still green and its raining on DEC 10 have not have snow on the ground here yet that hasnt been gone in a day... I also have taken a doe with my muzzleloader or been presented with a shot every year .. I have in 20 years only taken one buck with it.. I understand that every area offers differnet opportunitys and deer density ... This however is my view, and alot of people who I hunt and talk to .. I think gun season would be better of opening a week earlier Just my opion I dont have a axe to grind or dog to fight ..Good luck to all Maybe this will be the yaer I get a giant with my smokepole, and Ill eat my words

just what we need.gun season opening a week earlier when they are really moving.This is the reason lots of people get into archery.For those two weeks before gun.If you opened it up a week early it would really hinder the possibilites of growing nice bucks without AR.they only give ya two weeks in some of the states that have the best antlers.And go figure.they don't start the gun season in the chase faze of the rut either.

just what we need.gun season opening a week earlier when they are really moving.This is the reason lots of people get into archery.For those two weeks before gun.If you opened it up a week early it would really hinder the possibilites of growing nice bucks without AR.they only give ya two weeks in some of the states that have the best antlers.And go figure.they don't start the gun season in the chase faze of the rut either.

One could say opening bow season 2 weeks early would take alot of 1 1/2 old deer also??? Thats all I saw for that two weeks.. Take them early or late they are gone.. Hows that helping your big bucks??

Im into shooting big bucks ,but shooting a buck period is my goal for any season big or small...

Ny Antler right on,, I stand hunt just for the opposite reason ,I always want to be by the next tree or over there, and cant sit still. What ever works for you..

What I said wasnt meant to be any type of a slam, so I I hope you didnt take it that way. You say yourself that things seem to have changed, which is why I suggested you may want to change your tactics up. I always see deer during late season, usually more than the mid part of regular gun season, and almost as many as bow. I use different tactics for different parts of the season, whereas years ago all I did was stand hunt. Since I have changed things up, Ive become more successful. Just speaking from my experience.

Good luck in the late season!