Anyone use a smart phone for the GPS feature???

Grizz1219

I use the iPhone 4s and use motion x gps. It works great and you can even download maps so you can use it when you don't have service. Even though it does work really well i decided to get a real gps b/c using the phone kept killing my battery very quickly. It can be solved by getting a battery case for the phone which does give you another full charge but i just decided to go with a real one anyways. Here is a link to motion x below.

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

John

No, it's not bad at all. The areas I hunt that require a GPS have no cell service so I just put my phone on airplane mode and turn the GPS on. The phone goes to sleep while it's in your pocket and I only wake it every so often to see where I am. It is a pretty slick app. If you are going to an area with no service you need to cache the maps of the areas ahead of time. I can get a weekend out of it no problem, I just turn the phone off completely when I get back to camp in the evening. It also syncs with a Cabelas website so you can look at the different trips, waypoints, etc right on your computer.

I would highly recommend it.

I'm in the market for a new phone. What is the difference between the I phone 4s and 5?

(I figured I'd ask while some of you tech savy guys are around!)

4S is shorter by about .25" than 5, but slightly thicker by .07". Different charger plug for the 5 compared to other iphones or ipod touches. Both 8 megapixel cameras. Other than that there are technical things related to chips etc. that most of us won't notice. Oh and price 99.00 for 4s or 199.00 for 5. My choice is to go with the .99 cent iphone 4. Siri sucks and I dont care about the 5 megapixel camera(iphone4) vs 8 megapixel camera (iphone 4s).

The app I really like best for hunting is Antler Insanity. Its free and it allows you to plot your stands, get wind and weather for your stand site and allows you to use GPS to "walk to" any of your stands. The plotting of your stands is easy and straightforward and allows you to better examine your stands using the maps.

I'm in the market for a new phone. What is the difference between the I phone 4s and 5?

(I figured I'd ask while some of you tech savy guys are around!)

5 has a larger screen, faster processor, is 4G capable and has a better camera and better voice recognition. I would pony up the few extra bucks for the 5. 4G internet speed is significantly faster than 3G.