Do you wear Orange? If so why? If not Why not? :)

TheHunter

Blaze orange is totally your choice. I make sure the other guy can see me. I'm still not sure (even with some of the posts from you guys) that a crossbow isn't as powerful as a bow. I'll give you a scenario that may bring light to wearing blaze orange while bow hunting. At gun season you hear the shot. At bow season you don't. If I hear a shot I know someone is in the vicinity and my awareness go up. Let's just say crossbows are introduced into bow season. You shoot a deer and gutting it out, there is a crossbow hunter 60 yards away. He never heard the shot but can see something going on by the edge of the field. He sees a deer moving, sets up on it and shoots. You are gutting the deer in full camo and blend in to the surroundings. Sounds really far fetched, some of you guys may think I'm nuts. The common thing here is distance, "If" (I still have to research this) the crossbow can shoot further than a bow this could scenario could happen. What are the odds? What were the odds of that little boy being shot by his own hunting party? Again, I'm not an alarmist nor am I against crossbows, I just think if a weapon is introduced into bow season that is

much more powerful, you may want to take precautions. Just my thoughts, this is a blaze orange thread.

so you are saying you are against having crossbows in archery season. we get that. I guess carry orange with you and while you are gutting that deer, wear it.  why would it matter then, you have your deer?  And again I say of ot does not spook deer, wear it during archery.  I love the gusy who say deer are not bothered b y orange, but think you can only wear it during gun season.  Seems hypocritical to me.  Plus I respectfully disagree with the heard shot thing.  I think most guys get moe on alert when they hear a shot and are more likely to screw up when they see a movement because they are alerted to the possibility there is a deer in the area. 

i think a bolt and a arrow frm a bow will carry about the same yardage.I was checking into getting an xbow for night time cyote hunting and see that the average xbow is the close to thesame speed as my Mathews, at about 300 fps.Considering the shorter bolt it might carry further but i believe the bolt to weigh close to the same as a good carbon arrow that is about 9 inches longer.

I would say close to the same distance.

Pluss....You still only have one shot.so i don;t believe orange would be as necessary as it would be in gun season.

Crossbows are not legal to use on coyotes. When it becomes legal for use next season in NY, it will only be legal for deer, not anything you want to use it on. At least from what I have read about the law.If you have something that says otherwise, Id love to see it.

We all wear orange in our hunting party. Plain and simple, if you can be seen by another hunter, your risk of being shot drops.  It is always possible  and the risk goes up and down depending where you hunt- private or public  lands. We were all taught in our hunting coarse to know your target and beyond. In that coarse, we were told to wear orange, by our instructor.It's far safer; we were told.  As far as a law to make you wear orange, seems like the state will do what it thinks is right, if it can make a buck. Looking out for hunters saftey? I certainly hope so!  Alot of other states have made it manitory. Has that lowered the shooting rate?  A few years ago, I switched over to a breakup orange.  I have had deer walk right by me.  I had tree cover behind me, motionless, and they didn't catch my scent, the main things deer go by. My two scents.

Blaze orange is totally your choice. I make sure the other guy can see me. I'm still not sure (even with some of the posts from you guys) that a crossbow isn't as powerful as a bow. I'll give you a scenario that may bring light to wearing blaze orange while bow hunting. At gun season you hear the shot. At bow season you don't. If I hear a shot I know someone is in the vicinity and my awareness go up. Let's just say crossbows are introduced into bow season. You shoot a deer and gutting it out, there is a crossbow hunter 60 yards away. He never heard the shot but can see something going on by the edge of the field. He sees a deer moving, sets up on it and shoots. You are gutting the deer in full camo and blend in to the surroundings. Sounds really far fetched, some of you guys may think I'm nuts. The common thing here is distance, "If" (I still have to research this) the crossbow can shoot further than a bow this could scenario could happen. What are the odds? What were the odds of that little boy being shot by his own hunting party? Again, I'm not an alarmist nor am I against crossbows, I just think if a weapon is introduced into bow season that is

much more powerful, you may want to take precautions. Just my thoughts, this is a blaze orange thread.

so you are saying you are against having crossbows in archery season. we get that. I guess carry orange with you and while you are gutting that deer, wear it.  why would it matter then, you have your deer?  And again I say of ot does not spook deer, wear it during archery.  I love the gusy who say deer are not bothered b y orange, but think you can only wear it during gun season.  Seems hypocritical to me.  Plus I respectfully disagree with the heard shot thing.  I think most guys get moe on alert when they hear a shot and are more likely to screw up when they see a movement because they are alerted to the possibility there is a deer in the area. 

No I didn't say I was against crossbows in bow season and hearing a shot for most of us puts us on alert and we are more likely to react better. It's kind of like driving for hours at 75 mph and you see a trooper up ahead and slow down ( do the right thing, your alerted to the situation) that's what I mean. I'm thinking safety- we are on a forum to share our thoughts.

i think a bolt and a arrow frm a bow will carry about the same yardage.I was checking into getting an xbow for night time cyote hunting and see that the average xbow is the close to thesame speed as my Mathews, at about 300 fps.Considering the shorter bolt it might carry further but i believe the bolt to weigh close to the same as a good carbon arrow that is about 9 inches longer.

Pluss....You still only have one shot.so i don;t believe orange would be as necessary as it would be in gun season.

Crossbows are not legal to use on coyotes. When it becomes legal for use next season in NY, it will only be legal for deer, not anything you want to use it on. At least from what I have read about the law.If you have something that says otherwise, Id love to see it.

I havnt read all the rules on crosbows yet but if you can use any calliber rifle or shot gun or bow then why not the x bow.That don't make any sence at all.

EDIT:I saw on the dec web site you can only use on big game and not at night.That has to be some of the most ignorant crap.Its ok to use a 7mm mag in the dark but not a x bow to hunt cyotes.LOL.I could see probably cause  of paoching.But if you are legitametly hunting dogs then why not?It is definatly safer than a bullet that carries 1000 yards and beyond.In the dark!I am pissed now.What a stupid law.

I havnt read all the rules on crosbows yet but if you can use any calliber rifle or shot gun or bow then why not the x bow.That don't make any sence at all.

EDIT:I saw on the dec web site you can only use on big game and not at night.That has to be some of the most ignorant crap.Its ok to use a 7mm mag in the dark but not a x bow to hunt cyotes.LOL.I could see probably cause  of paoching.But if you are legitametly hunting dogs then why not?It is definatly safer than a bullet that carries 1000 yards and beyond.In the dark!I am pissed now.What a stupid law.

Agreed.

One more time - a crossbow is no more powerful then a compound bow.

If indeed they where more dangerous, then reports could be found proving so in the

states where they are legal - some for many years. Such reports would be great tools for the anti crossbowers and they would be all over that. If there was proof, you can bet your last dollar NYB would have it all over everywhere - I have never seen them use it.

Thanks Steve-I got it. They aren't like you say- I'll put that to rest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, most of the time I do not wear hunter orange. 

Why?  I hunt the wilderness areas in the Adirondack Park and rarely see a human being except the one or two people I hunt with.  Also, there is no NYS law that mandates hunter orange in the Adirondacks.

When I hunt I am looking for game animals and I can tell you that a human being does not look at all like any game animal.  We should be training our hunters to IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET AT LEAST 3 TIMES and THEN SHOOT YOUR WEAPON! People are shot by people who are;  Impatient, Anxious, and Untrained.  They lack the discipline to validate their target and the path of their weapons projectile.  I have passed the German Hunting exam and spent several years hunting there.  Do you know what the acceptable attire is?  Muted browns or greens.  Hunters shooting other hunters is unheard of.

It is really unfortunate that we have a percentage of hunters in New York State and other states that although in the minority, cause the majority of hunting related accidents.  How do you stop this insanity?  We should increase the licensing requirements with an expanded safety education curriculum  that lasts longer than a couple of hours of classroom training.  Show some reality films and pictures of what happens when a projectile encounters a human body.

A continued enforcement and expansion of physical areas that require  blaze orange will only educate hunters that a non-orange wearing entity may be OK to shoot.  Target identification is a MUST,  hence even in areas mandating blaze orange, one STILL needs to identify ones target!  The focus must be on IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET not Identify Blaze Orange.

In closing, I occasionally do wear some blaze orange when I know that unknown hunters could be in my area - WHY?  because I don't know what training they had nor their mental capability to properly identify targets. For those that look for blaze orange when they hunt.......please don't hunt near me.

post-2178-131455427011_thumb.jpg

Yes, for about the past 6-7 yrs. In the 30+ yrs. that I have been hunting my clothing as changed numerous times. When I first started hunting I wore the traditional Woolrich red/blk plaid coat with blk or green wool pants, then I went to camo BDU pants, to full camo for a number of yrs. UNTIL......................................

One day while hunting in Cherry Valley the second week of the southern season (mid week), some guy sent three slugs in my direction at a couple of deer that pasted between him and I (neither of us knew the other was there) I was sitting at the base of a rather large oak, down hill about 60 yds from where this guy had walked to, I was facing the opposite direction. Well, I heard something behind me and slowly started to turn to look when gun fire broke out and lead to smacking trees including the one I was sitting against. Needless to say, the guy never saw me or knew I was down range from him. I left that spot immediately I was so shaken up and went home.

From that point forward it was of importance to be seen, I now wear a hunter safety orange guide shirt from Cabela's as my outter layer, if I put my coat over it (low temp. days) I have an orange vest on.

This is during the gun season only..................................I have my son wear a hat or vest when hunting during the gun season as well.

Being seen by other hunters is as much a safety factor as identifying your target is...............................

FDXX75

I dont wear orange in the north. I wear an orange hat walking into my stand in south zone, and then turn back to camo.

I've been hunting now for 41 years, and I have never seen a hunter dressed in camo or ORANGE that looks like a deer or bear.

I dont wear orange in the north. I wear an orange hat walking into my stand in south zone, and then turn back to camo.

I've been hunting now for 41 years, and I have never seen a hunter dressed in camo or ORANGE that looks like a deer or bear.

+1

Although i have never seen a hunter in camo or orange look like a deer to me.. i just don't know about the next guy seeing me so some kind of orange for me during gun seasons. none duriing bow though if i guy cant identify me as a person wih a bow and shoots me with an arrow he beeter hopes it kills me instantly because i can guarentee he won't live to make that mistake again!

ok so if someone shot you with a bow you would kill them?  What if they wounded you with a gun?  To me that seems kind of hypocritical.  If someone hit you with a car, would you back up and run into them again?  I am just trying to figure out the logic. 

What I don't get is why people think it's about being misidentified as a deer is the only concern. A hunter in full camo can walk around and not be seen. This might put him in areas that might be down range from a hunter who thinks whats beyond where deer may be is clear. He has a much better chance at being seen in BO.

Why do so many not want to be seen?

I don't have any problem wearing orange when I decide I want to.  There are times when I feel I have an advantage when I'm not wearing it. 

I strongly object to any law that says I must wear it 100% of the time or face monetary penalties.  This is not something a law should be able force.

What I don't get is why people think it's about being misidentified as a deer is the only concern. A hunter in full camo can walk around and not be seen. This might put him in areas that might be down range from a hunter who thinks whats beyond where deer may be is clear. He has a much better chance at being seen in BO.

I agree.. i always try to at least wear an orange hat... unless i'm hunting in a very remote part of the adirondacks

There are all kinds of ads on TV and in magazines that illustrate the effectiveness of camo in terms of absolutely becoming invisible in a woods scenario. There's simply no denying it ..... a person who wants to be hidden in the background (perhaps behind a deer that someone is about to shoot at) can very easily do exactly that.

The old saying about being completely certain about the background and surroundings is only truly possible if you are hunting on a completely cleared and back-stopped rifle range. If some idiot wants to conceal himself in the line of fire, today's camo technology makes that entirely possible. Sure, it's hard to understand how someone can get shot from being mistaken for a deer, but what I worry about has more to do with what I don't see than what I do.

Doc

• 1 month later...

Wow, long thread so I just skimmed it.  Here's my 2 cents:

The best camouflage is immobility.  Sit still, move slow, use the shadows, use the brush/trees to break your outline.  Some of my hunting clothing is camo as it's getting very hard to find non-camo hunting clothing. 

I bring 2 blaze orange hats during gun hunting seasons.  A nit hat for when I'm cold and a baseball hat for when I'm not.  I carry a small flashlight for moving in/out of the woods at dawn/dusk.

I don't believe blaze orange should be mandatory unless everyone wears it; hunters, hikers, farmers, dog walkers, people stepping out into their backyards, etc.  I don't want hunters to get the idea that it's ok to shoot if they don't see orange. 

I've been shot at.  Blaze orange wouldn't have helped.  A flashlight would have.  A buddy and I were on our way to our stands 20 years ago.  It was an hour before shooting light as we were allowing plenty of time to get to our stands so as not to get sweaty.  A guy touched off a 12 gu from about 20 yards away.  Missed us both clean, don't know where the shot went.  He said he was shooting at a deer.  Bullshit!  Since then the land has been posted and we've become very selective on whom we allow to hunt it.