wounded deer recovery????

First-light

Be the 1st to admit I'm far from a perfect hunter or marksman!

Have lost a few deer over the years, mostly as a kid with an automatic shotgun.

Too concerned with the next shot & not concentrating on the shot that was chambered.

Last one was with my bow about 4 years ago.

Couldn't control my adrenaline or "Buck Fever", took a very bad shot.

Looked for the deer for 2 1/2 days, never found it or the remains in following years.

Try to do everything within my power to prevent this from happening, it really bothers me to lose a deer!!!

Stands and shooting lanes are setup for broadside shots and as close as possible.

Put up the open sight shotgun due to failing eyesight and use a ML w/scope for regular season.

It's a part of hunting. Unfortunately it will happen again and I will regret it (again)!!

I will be starting my 30th season this year. I have missed my share and as may have stated here, are they all misses....who knows. I exhaust every option after a shot, to follow up that deer as long as possible. I have seem in snow deer hit and not bleed for over a hundred yards. And in fresh powder the blood drop can fall right through the snow. I have never lost a deer with a gun...again ...that I know of.

With my bow...took me 4 years to get an arrow in one and I lost him .....for 2 days anyway. by the time I found him the 'yotes had done a pretty bad job on him. I still tagged it so I could have the rack( all 4 points of it...lol)....first bow kill and all. Other than that one I have not lost a bow kill.

I came close to losing 2 deer the year I went to mechanical broadheads. High tree stand and they did not pass through at 20 yards. It is hard to follow a deer with a high entry hole and no exit. Luckily it was a wet area a tracking was easy. no blood until I was about 20 yards away from where they had fallen. I hung up the mechanicals and have never used them again. fly great but no penetration and I shoot a pretty fast bow @70#.

Wow,

I really like what I'm hearing. You guys really show a dedication to the sport and the deer. Just to show you how tough these animals are back in 91 I gut shot a big 7pt.

we tracked him for 3 hrs and finally he laid down a couldn't get up and I ended it. After hanging the deer up I noticed that his front leg must of been broke at one time

the joint was a big ball but it healed. His other front leg had a mound under the skin so I took my knife and cut it open. Out came the cardboard wading form a shot.

Go figure, this deer was 3.5 if not 4.5 years old. One strong SOB!

I have a friend who hit a deer with his car one night on the way home from work.The next afternoon we went to look for the deer and it was still alive,both his back legs were almost in half.That deer tried to crawl away from us with his legs in half.We called state police and they shot it.He was all busted up we couldn't save the meat.I am still amazed how that deer tried to get away from us.They are very strong willed.

More misses than will admit too. Had a huge piebald doe in my sights. What I thought was a double lung shot turned into a two day tracking job on a gut shot deer. She was still alive and very aware when we cut her off at a field. Finally got the job done, did not sleep for two days. It sucked. Haven't shot a deer with my bow yet. Only been seven years. :-[

Darn you Burt - Trying to play the role of Dr. Phil here and bring up bad past memories, LOL just kidding.

Gun hunting 21 yrs - lost 1 buck and 1 doe

Bow hunting 7 yrs - lost 2 of the largest bucks I've shot at - 1st was a single lung quatering to my 2nd year with the bow and I went after it too quickly. Learned my lesson quickly. Chased that deer quite aways that day. 2nd was a bad shot , high and into the shoulder.

• 2 months later...

I've been hunting 18 years with the bow an 16 with the gun....I have given a few haircuts and had some tough tracking jobs, but to my knowledge I am at 0 lost deer. I always give it my all when I shoot, espically when I think I may have missed.....but I am very selective in my shots. I have realized over the years that maybe I am more selective then most and that is why.... Although 18 years is a drop in the buck as far as time goes....I'm sure there will be one in the future.

hunting 35 years and only lost one bow deer.. i hit a doe in the ham from 20 yards while hunting on the ground. I was hiding in a small brushy spot in the middle of a field and a doe and her 2 young fawns came along the fawns were running wildly throuhg the field and as I drew on the doe and begain to release one of the fawns jumped through the brush i was in andhit my leg causing my arrow to go off course and hit the doe in the rear ham.. she ran off into a cattail swamp and after 4 hours in the dark and 3 hours the next morning we had to call it quits after losing the small blood trail to rain. I think that bothered me more than any big buck i ever missed.