Smell of meat.

the blur

I defrosted a steak. My wife says it smells bad. I say it smells like a piece of red meat you buy at the food store. She says meat should not smell at all.

Last year, my meat did not smell at all.

this year, my meat got a little warm. it got up to 55 degrees while butchering... for a few hours.

She has me all paronoid. My nose is not the best. But I can't accept that's it's rancid. looks ok.

Does your meat smell at all???

and if so, like what ??

How about color? All I can say about smell is,I had 1 mason jar that was booger and when we opened it and took a wiff....it was beyond anything I had ever smelled before.You WILL know if it's bad without question.

Cut a small piece off and fry it up,see what it looks like and taste it.

IMHO I don't think 55deg for a period would hurt the meat to the extent that it would rot.

Edited by Single_shot

Meat has a smell. It smells like meat ...... it's unique and doesn't smell like anything else. Rotten meat also has a distinctive smell, and you ain't going to like it if and when you ever smell it. I'll admit that once someone puts the suggestion in your head, all of a sudden you will be smelling all kinds of things, but believe me, if the meat is bad, you won't have to be asking about it.

55 degrees for a couple hours while butchering is not going to make the meat go bad.

• Like 2