D-Loop

loworange88

Hey everyone, I have a question about installing a D-loop...My bow has one and its frayed in one spot...I watched a Youtube video and it doesnt look that hard to do, but IMHO, seems like an important thing to do correctly.

My question is it worth just paying the few bucks at either a shop or a big box store(Gander Cicero has it listed as an $8 charge) to have them do it?

Thanks.

I've tied my own for years. Always start with a loop you think will be too tight, as they tend to stretch a little as you shoot. Only need enough room for the nock anfd the release, not too much play. Bought 3 ft of cord from Eastern Mountain sports that has lasted me and most of my friends for 10 years now.

This pic should help. If the loop is too long, just untie and do it again. Once your done, melt the ends of the cord with a match (quickly) and I always press some bow wax into the knots and melt that on the string as well to prevent the loop from slipping

post-633-0-55479700-1359951112.jpg

This is the drawing from Edersbow, but there are lots of other sources as well.

Edited by robw

If you're close to Pro Lines in Queens NY, I know a guy there that can hook you up. If not, it's easy enough to do on your own. I learned to tune, install QAD Drop-away rest and sights on my own over a couple weeks. Now my bow is paper and broadhead tuned.

It looks easy enough to do, but I have not yet done it. So I would say, follow the instructions provided in this thread. If you can't do it, keep trying or take it in and have it done. I have always used the metal D-loop and for the first time had the rope put on when I was having a string replaced at the archery shop. By the way, do not resort to using the metal D-loop. I used one for years, but I did finally have a failure with one of those.

I changed from the metal D-loop to the string . As bad as my hearing is , I could hear a "Ka-zing" noise when I released an arrow .

There are various string material for the D-loops . I bought a kit at Dicks and the string was limp . I later bought a length of stiffer string material and it has worked great on 2 bowstrings . It was a stiffer , heavier string .

My release attaches right to the string.I have never used a D-loop, but would like to. Now I'm assuming when it is installed, it will lengthen my draw length. Will I have to shorten?

If you have say , a 28" draw ,add a D-Loop and pull your string back until it hits the wall , it's still a 28"draw . What is affected is your anchor point . Your draw length would be the same .

The only wear you will have on your bowstring would be where you nock the arrow . This can be corrected with some fine serving placed where the arrow is nocked .

I guess I should clarify my above statement before someone mistakes what I am saying . Of course the whole string will wear over time but adding serving to the nocking area will build up that area to keep the nock snug .

Thanks for the reply Eddie. Makes sense to me that the draw length doesn't change. Arm distance will, to a small extent. This will be my 8th year with this bow and never used the d-loop. The area where the release attaches, still looks good. The bow shop, where the bow was purchased said they were not needed, so never went with one. I suppose their could be some getting use to a d-loop.

This is the original string. Everything is so nicely super tuned on this bow. Kinda like a super tuned wrist watch. I hate to have a new string put on, but know it's due.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

it's easy enough but your d-loop will be better and better with practice. tie it like the suggestions say. your knots so be opposite each other. if you shoot a hand held release then have the top d-loop come out in the inside of the bow string. if you shoot an index finger release with a wrist strap set it up the opposite of that. BCY and Gibbs make good D-loop material. top knot is done first. flare it and melt it before it goes on the string. then tie the bottom knot and make sure not to leave much if any slack. the loop will look flattened and too tight. give a pull on it and then cut, flare, and melt it as close to the knot as you can. be careful not to melt anything else. wait a minute or two and then use d-loop pliers to pull the loop out and tighten the knots. you can use needle-nose opposite their normal use to stretch the loop and set the knots as well. i like to use a d-loop with soft nocks (tied string). if done right you'll be able to twist up or down the string with both to adjust your nock height without doing everything over again.