For Those Who Argue That God Does Not Exist....

Found this floating on FB this Sunday morning...long but worth the time.

Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, you believe in GOD ?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good ?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?

Student : Yes.

Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent.)

Professor: You can’t answer, can you ? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?

Professor: Is satan good ?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from ?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?

Professor: So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer.)

Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, who created them ?

(Student had no answer.)

Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son, have you ever seen GOD?

Student : No, sir.

Professor: Tell us if you have ever heard your GOD?

Student : No , sir.

Professor: Have you ever felt your GOD, tasted your GOD, smelt your GOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?

Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?

Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.

Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Professor: Yes.

Student : And is there such a thing as cold?

Professor: Yes.

Student : No, sir. There isn’t.

(The lecture theater became very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There was pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, well you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man ?

Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?

Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD. You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing.

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?

(The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?

(The class broke out into laughter. )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

• Like 1

Agree...nice bit of fiction. Interestingly, there are many who believe that a God(s) of some sort exist, yet they cannot support the tenets of any formal religion. Yet, those who do practice some formal religion think they, alone, know who/what God is. Religious arguments are like political arguments....best to stay out of them. I could never join a church or religious sect...nor could I join a political party. When it comes to blind faith...the emphasis is on BLIND!

• Like 1

Really of course evolution happens every day, Diseases, virus's Are adapting "evolving" becoming immune to medications, The human race is evolving when humans of different races Procreate with each other and their children are of different color, Colors are used in many things in nature as camouflage, breeding rights there are others, Evolution takes hundreds, thousands, sometimes millions of years that is the reason nobody has seen the changes, the changes are small and take along time to occur, According to bible Jesus was of olive skin and he lived in whats is now the middle east, so if evolution doesn't exist wouldn't every body on the planet be olive skinned, Does that make your beliefs wrong and mine right not at all, The premises in which they tried to prove the professor doesn't have a brain makes no sense you cant even argue that he doesn't have a brain, If you were to cut his head open there would be a brain inside, what can you open and actually physically see God or Jesus don't even say the bible or your heart mainly because either of them can be opened and you wouldn't find a physically touchable, smellable or tastable thing it would be heart and it would be a book, Things evolve all the time avian flu, the other super flu's that are appearing all the time evolution happens at a level in which you need a micro scope to see but it is visible, So the kid in the hall can go screw in my opinion science is a way better thing to believe, I don't care what other people believe Just don't knock on my door and try and spoon feed me a bunch of bullcrap, And besides a god that would allow and innocent child to suffer and die is not a god i want to believe in, There is no master plan there is nothing other than a dead loved one, You all can pray but me i'm hoping those doctors and scientists that are inventing cures for things such as cancer and other diseases keep doing the great work they seldom get credit for, JMHO Im not trying to make people angry, Its my belief

I was disappointed you weren't the first to chime in Early. Lol!

All I'm going to say is that I believe there is a Supreme Being somewhere around us. No I haven't seen it, touched it or smelled it to justify it and neither have you or anyone else for that matter to disprove it. But certain things happen everyday around us without any plausible or scientific explanation. Some people call them miracles, some people call them phenomenons, others call it Faith. To each his/her own beliefs....

• Like 1

I think we have reached a dangerous time in our country, and its not because people no longer believe in God, but because people no longer believe in science. Alot of this stems from the media and a certain political party whos supporters/sponsers wants the general population to be dumbed.

I hear people pooing things like global warming, modern medicine, space travel, our learning institutuions today.

People mumbling things like yea he was educated in Havard, must be an idiot, or yeeeaaa we should cut funding for this research or that type of science because its a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Then that very same person hops into his 2012 Lexus which in itself is a marvel of science and heads home to enjoy dinner which is made safe bacause of the advances in science that made it that way, and then he heads off to bed and takes the meds which lower his blood pressure, another for cholestrol, and lets not forget the nexium which made him forget what heartburn ever felt like. then he pops a little blue pill that makes him a 19yr old in the sack again. But when he wakes up in the morning and heads to work he will sit there and agree wholeheartedly with his buddies about what a waste of money and time the space progam is and that they are shooting his dollars into space and what idiots doctors are today, and how good the cars of the 60s were compared to todays crap etc, etc..

• Like 1

I am curious on where everyone stands on Morality. Does it exist or doesn't it?

And if you believe it does exist why and from where does it come?

I firmly believe in it....

Hey guys i got a question... IF we all evolved from monkeys (i dont believe we did) then why is it wrong for me or someone else to got into a school and shoot up a bunch of "smart monkeys" and why does it seem wrong? after all monkeys attack kill and eat each other if we are smart monkeys we should do the same... in my opinion. if there is no God there is no point in life...

The power of faith can single handedly be stronger than any psycological diagnosis or treatment that ever came from science.

We wouldn't hear of a lot of the recent tragedies if the individuals involved had something to believe in when they felt all hope was lost.

In respect to morality, I believe there's a direct connection between the two whether those who question it are willing to admit it or not.

• Like 1

This is going into the politics section.

Sorry. I didn't post it with the intent of turning it into a Political discussion. Here's a thought, maybe we should have a Religion section. Wait that means we would need another section for non-religious people. And even subsections for believers and nonbelievers. Lol. Too much work...

On second thought, throw it in with politics since Freedom of Religion is a right under the First Amendment.

Sorry. I didn't post it with the intent of turning it into a Political discussion. Here's a thought, maybe we should have a Religion section. Wait that means we would need another section for non-religious people. And even subsections for believers and nonbelievers. Lol. Too much work...

On second thought, throw it in with politics since Freedom of Religion is a right under the First Amendment.

Has nothing to do with politics, except that a religious discussion is usually just as argumentative, opinionated and usually ends up being heated. It fits in here.

Deerthug,

Which is then followed by the Second Amendment.

You know I sat down with my coffee this morning and read this thread, and was a bit shocked, to tell you the truth at the responses. Maybe I'm reading the responses wrong, but it looks like lots of non believers here.

That's certainly OK I guess (First Amendment), but answer me this: How can so many grumble and groan about their "right" to "keep and bear arms" (Second Amendment), when that very right (and others) is given, and guaranteed to them by, documents written by our founding fathers who placed great emphasis on the belief in a GOD, and Christian principles? Are we to pick and choose which rights we like and which ones we don't, or which ones we think are valid and which ones are not, depending on what our own particular need is?

• Like 2

Hey guys i got a question... IF we all evolved from monkeys (i dont believe we did) then why is it wrong for me or someone else to got into a school and shoot up a bunch of "smart monkeys" and why does it seem wrong? after all monkeys attack kill and eat each other if we are smart monkeys we should do the same... in my opinion. if there is no God there is no point in life...

You kind of answered your own question...Yes monkeys do kill ..even torcher their own...been seen grouping as a gang to do so..

Then said why is it wrong to go into a.... lets just say place.... and shoot up "smart monkey?" Simple....God has allowed or put into place the ability to evolve in doing so he has allowed us to become self aware and form a conscience...It is up to us to determine to use that conscience..Thus we determine it to be wrong in the group dynamic

I do not assume God is perfect...thus not all people are born with an active conscience or fully evolved...Having their animal instinct over riding what most ppl consider normal human nature.

Because we .... as most animals on earth..... tend to require...A herd...pride...Family unit...all which involve a hierarchy...group leaders...we from the beginning needed to know someones in charge....those smarter than the rest realized that what was needed to control the rest was an all powerful entity to actually fear.

Thus your Roman Gods scenario....but alas we kept evolving and getting smarter...causing group dynamics to change...Religion was born to explain all the questions we had and to further the control needed to keep groups in fear of consequences...The leaders needed God to back them up when doling out their own form of punishments to keep the masses under control...and so it goes on and on....

Why must we except either or?...why is it the gift given us of free will and a conscience....Can't be used to realize A higher entity put into play evolution...this giving him /her/it ....the enjoyment of watching what he made grow into something of his own image? .... why should we think it is even close to being done yet?

.First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.a

11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.b That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

14So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Edited by erussell
  • Like 2

A Religion Section.....GAG ME!!!!!

I don't think its that bad of an idea.

Why must we except either or?...why is it the gift given us of free will and a conscience....Can't be used to realize A higher entity put into play evolution...this giving him /her/it ....the enjoyment of watching what he made grow into something of his own image? .... why should we think it is even close to being done yet?

Kind of what i was thinking.

Evolution has been sientificly proven to be impossible. i think it was Louie Pastuer that proved life can ONLY come from life... matter can NOT create life... which obviously disproves evolution

i think its sad that we have begun to forsake the truths that our forfathers the founders of this nation "held to be self evident"

Edited by josephmrtn