Dropped that coyote

Probably because of the damage they do to livestock. They dig holes, livestock step in them and break their legs, farmer is out a bunch of money.

You opened up another one WNY Buck Hunter... The law for taking without a permit stipulates occupant and cultivated land. Cultivation is, of course, related to crop farming but not to ranching, unless this includes timothy or alfalfa hay. If they don't consider hay cultivation or the pastures are uncultivated native grass, - it seems that ranchers of sheep, cattle, poultry ect. are not really covered under this law unless they live on site.... Hmmm... So can a rancher who does not occupy the land kill a nuisance coyote without a permit? I am afraid I do not see it stipulated that they legally can...

Edited by mike rossi

Well Mike yes they can....consider goats and sheep the same...then the fact that our land is on 4 separate deeds...our goats lived on one deed property we have our home on the opposite side of the highway and another deeded parcel.....

We had yotes carry off our kids....DEC told me if a yote is in the fenced pasture it was fair game...the dog warden told me if a dog is in the fenced pasture it's fair game...no nuisance permit needed

What a conversation over a dead yote.  Look everyone brakes the law.  If you say "not me" then you must not drive because I do not care who you are everyone who drives brakes the law at one time or another even if just by accident...  Everyone drives too fast, slow, now cell phones, etc.  Point is we all are law breakers at one point or another.  Most cops let minor infractions go as most of us know.  Yet the newbie officer in town is giving out tickets for everything he see's including loitering, littering, and failing to signal.  As far as he is concerned any law broken is an offense.  As he tires in his exuberance to excel at his job he becomes hardened and less apt to hassle people over minor infractions.   So the new DEC officer is on patrol and ANY infraction is considered worth following up in his eyes.  He tickets everyone for anything even if the person says that is not my apple core officer, does not matter it was by your dead deer, I have to write you up for baiting...  And take your deer!

Remember perspective...

Yes some laws I agree with and other not so much.  Speed limit 55 mph lol only that way to get more money when ticketed...  Certain taxes I disagree with, like fuel, oil and cigarettes.  My right to bear arms!  And the degradation of its fabric the second amendment.

If I lived in upstate and had to deal with coyotes all year as a threat then if one comes in the back yard and I can take him then he is done...  And it would be legal as long as you owned or occupied.

Funny how some of you get up on your high horse and state that the person will be tracked by IP address for a DEC check...  Seems this post was meant to start something...

I do not like coyotes.  I hate poachers more...  But at times I can understand someone who is perceived as a poacher due to some overzealous officer...  I know some serious hunters who have been ticketed for unproven infractions yet it makes them look like poachers...  I can understand a poacher who is doing this to feed his family, call me wrong and say that encourages bad "ethics" but hell if he need to do this to survive, well not much more to say...

Just remember perspective.  The beginning of this post was about if he took the animal legal or not.  It seems if he took it in NY he would be justified as per the law stated above.  No one is going after him for this because it was legal...

Eventually I hope to have a different perspective once I finally move where the deer roam free...  And I can shoot them dam YOTES!!!  LOL    LAAA

• Like 3

I guess I can keep my yote season going!

Now I need to re- mount my shooting light and bust out the calls. Hell, I'll just tie my dog out and say the yotes were a threat. Anybody got a foxpro to sell me? I was going to wait til after deer season to get one but now it's game on!

Or maybe I'll put a pile of meat scraps and say the yotes are messing it up! lol

The law is bit vague if you ask me!

I'm a coyote hunter. I have immense respect for them. They are by and far better hunters than any man could ever be. What disapointed me was all the folks saying that it's just a coyote, but then again what would a good discussion be without differing views? 

I'm over coyotes til' October. Bring on the gobblers! Good luck and be safe out there

• Like 1

You opened up another one WNY Buck Hunter... The law for taking without a permit stipulates occupant and cultivated land. Cultivation is, of course, related to crop farming but not to ranching, unless this includes timothy or alfalfa hay. If they don't consider hay cultivation or the pastures are uncultivated native grass, - it seems that ranchers of sheep, cattle, poultry ect. are not really covered under this law unless they live on site.... Hmmm... So can a rancher who does not occupy the land kill a nuisance coyote without a permit? I am afraid I do not see it stipulated that they legally can...

If hes ranching the land, he is occupying it.

I have alot of respect for coyotes, they're fun to hunt and even more fun to listen too. It's not their intentions to be varmin, they're just another one of the many animals that inhabits the countryside we all love to hunt. I love to shoot dogs as much as the next guy, but I don't like that they get a bad rap. There's some guys around my parts that are pretty brutal to dogs they run with hounds and it really pisses me right off. None of mother nature's animals should be treated unfairly.

The problem is they don't just inhabit the country side...They've destroy ppls live stock...caused sheep and some beef ranchers to go out of business...they roam through towns and kill pets....by the way I lived in Avon NY many years ago and back then the Village had a serious coyote problem... drive down a street at night or when I rode bike at night and see them running down the road and across lawns..

In a perfect world they'd stay in the woods and fields and clean out every stinking vole mole and rat alive...but they don't.

Edited by growalot

I have alot of respect for coyotes, they're fun to hunt and even more fun to listen too. It's not their intentions to be varmin, they're just another one of the many animals that inhabits the countryside we all love to hunt. I love to shoot dogs as much as the next guy, but I don't like that they get a bad rap. There's some guys around my parts that are pretty brutal to dogs they run with hounds and it really pisses me right off. None of mother nature's animals should be treated unfairly.

REALLY??????

PLEASE tell me this is a joke

None of mother nature's animals should be treated unfairly.....think we just smoked out another ANTI

If hes ranching the land, he is occupying it.

I  don't know were you the notion that ranchers always live on site.  As a matter of fact you can lease grazing rights on some public lands. Private landowners lease grazing rights all the time. People buy their own pastures a way from home. When a rancher expands his business (increases his herd) he may buy or lease a way from home. If rangeland becomes degraded or simply needs to be rotated, a rancher moves his herd. Don't turn this into a discussion about range ecology, livestock management, or the business of ranching...

I  don't know were you the notion that ranchers always live on site.  As a matter of fact you can lease grazing rights on some public lands. Private landowners lease grazing rights all the time. People buy their own pastures a way from home. When a rancher expands his business (increases his herd) he may buy or lease a way from home. If rangeland becomes degraded or simply needs to be rotated, a rancher moves his herd. Don't turn this into a discussion about range ecology, livestock management, or the business of ranching...

You dont have to live somewhere to occupy it.

I know how ranching works. Thanks.

Its like any other business, if you lease a building for your business, but do not live there, are you not occupying it?

For a similar reference, look up the definition of what vacant land is considered to be in NY.

Guess I am an 'anti' also because I agree with this. Predators have their part to play in the world.

I guess I can keep my yote season going!

Now I need to re- mount my shooting light and bust out the calls. Hell, I'll just tie my dog out and say the yotes were a threat. Anybody got a foxpro to sell me? I was going to wait til after deer season to get one but now it's game on!

Or maybe I'll put a pile of meat scraps and say the yotes are messing it up! lol

The law is bit vague if you ask me!

I'm a coyote hunter. I have immense respect for them. They are by and far better hunters than any man could ever be. What disapointed me was all the folks saying that it's just a coyote, but then again what would a good discussion be without differing views? 

I'm over coyotes til' October. Bring on the gobblers! Good luck and be safe out there

What constitutes a nuisance is vague, it seems the law allows you to use your own discretion. More discretion under 11-0523 then the other nuisance regulation which requires a permit. The regulations are clear though. You can take them outside of the season if they are a nuisance and you live on or cultivate the land where they are being a nuisance. If you do not live on or cultivate the land, the other nuisance regulation applies, and you need to get a nuisance permit or hire a licensed wildlife control operator. There seems to be an exception for skunks, but don't bank on it without speaking to an ECO, preferably a luitenant. I posted about this before, but the permit is easy to get and free. The person who issues it to you wants to know what the problem is and may or may not put stipulations or conditions on the permit, for example that you bury the carcass.  

Me and others do get a sense for your frustration with the attitude many people have about coyotes and some of us agree with you. The more you interface with sportsmen or any secular conservative you will learn that anytime you disagree with them "Liberal" or" Anti" flashes through their head and they will not listen any further. Its useless to argue with them and besides they are entitled to their opinions. Even if you teach hunter education anything you say will be trumped by what they hear from dad, uncle, or older brother. Almost all youths in hunter ed are from hunting families. The best prospects to teach are new hunters which are adults. Most of the new blood recruited into our sport isn't youth anyway, its women and foodies. City people can be quite arrogant and ignorant, but the ones who become interested in hunting without peer influence tend to be smart, independent thinkers. These adults are good candidates to teach.

I have gotten permits to take beaver out of season and it basically said do what ever you want to get rid of them. trap, remove hut and damn, shoot with the use of lights at night. They asked the carcasses be properly disposed of and not left. If you have a nuisance animal I would make the call and get the permit. Much cleaner that way.

Seeing I'm asking...Why are wood chucks not protected...even crows are protected...they don't breed any more than most fur bearers..they can't possible do as much crop damage as rabbits, raccoons, or crows...they don't have as much an impact on forests as do those other critters...yet it's open season on them..why?

Lol ..... Woodchucks are rodents, hence the mental connection to rats (emotional response = disgusting, hated animal). The coyote is a cute little fuzzy puppy-dog style animal (emotional response = Rover). Well, of course that is said in a kind of tongue-in-cheek sort of fashion, but there may be more emotional truth in that than you might actually want to believe. There is an awful lot of law that is emotion-based.

• Like 2

Lol ..... Woodchucks are rodents, hence the mental connection to rats (emotional response = disgusting, hated animal). The coyote is a cute little fuzzy puppy-dog style animal (emotional response = Rover). Well, of course that is said in a kind of tongue-in-cheek sort of fashion, but there may be more emotional truth in that than you might actually want to believe. There is an awful lot of law that is emotion-based.

Doesn't that work both ways though? The impact of coyotes on ranchers has been documented many times, its real. But there is also a cultural superstition about coyotes. Its still emotion, just a different kind. For example, some may argue the PA's unrestricted coyote hunting is based on emotion. If the charismatic species syndrome is emotional, why isn't the predator phobia syndrome  emotional?

Ethics is where the line is drawn.....for me anyway.

Cash is an added bonus.

So your trying to say it's unethical for some one to protect their property?

Well then put away your mouse trap and rat poisons...Oh that's right...they have no monetary/ sports value..like wood chucks  open season...What is funny to me is ppl don't pick up on the fact their "ethics" are dictated  by others

careful doc, i got yelled at for questioning why people would eat woodchucks in a separate thread ;)

If people were not lazy..did there homework..most of the problem could be solved in the fall/winter..not the spring/summere when the are caring and hunting for the young.

The fact that they ARE caring and hunting for the young is just the reason that the coyotes in surburbia can become a problem at that time of the year

• Like 1