Snake hunting

Milk snake...Locally they are called "spotted adders", but that is not thier proper name.

A widow who lived up the road from me and my ex-wife used to get one in her house now and then...She lived in an old farmhouse with a dug cellar and they would find thier way  upstairs on occasion...

She called one day and said she had one in her living room.  It was a big one and he was coiled up on her TV stand behind the TV set...

I held a paper grocery bag and my ex-wife, who was an old farm girl, snatched the snake up by its tail and dropped it in the bag.. Done deal....hehehehe...

Since they're harmless and all they do is go around eating mice, can't you just relocate it instead of killing it or are they an overwhelming nuisance?  Snakes here in the city is a super rare sighting and you have to go into parks to find them.

• Like 1

Not to be a downer or nit picky, but this is in your NYS hunting & trapping regulations book under small game seasons.

Snakes, Lizards, and Salamanders

You may not harvest, take, or possess any native snakes, lizards, or salamanders at any time.

I do believe a snake in your kitchen counts as a nuisance/danger situation, regardless if it is poisonous.

It wasn't in his yard to scurry away. It was in his KITCHEN.

Milk snakes are known to have pesky attitudes. I've killed at least a half-dozen in my time. A neighbor got several in his basement. Snakes can get into homes pretty easy...sometimes ignorance is bliss until they show up where you can see them.

I have a ton of snakes because I'm on a large limestone formation. My basement had to be blasted out....this limestone was one of the two finalist sections for the Mt. Morris Dam material. The other place won out, and this house was later built on it. I literally have inches of soil....very rare to get a shovel in the ground fully any place in my yard. As a result, lots of crevices to hold and house snakes and the stone warms up quick for their use. I once ran over 3 snakes in a single lawn mowing before I could see them in time to stop.

I also hate snakes. God gets a chuckle every time I see one, I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

Well I'm not here to preach so I'll spare ya the don't kill all snakes speel. I enjoy them myself.

Milk snakes are probably a pretty good indicator you have a bigger problem with rodents.

Not often we in NY encounter poisonous snakes, but with non native captive releases you can never be too carefull if your unsure.

A good rule for to differentiate between a harmless milk and venomous coral snake... red touches yellow, kill a fellow... red touches black, friend of Jack.

• Like 2

Ha id like to see anyone get ticketed for killing a snake, not know what it was. When in doubt kill. I personally hate snakes so good job !

There is one snake that you probably wouldn't want to tell a warden that you killed, and that would be a rattlesnake. They are very closely protected. Personally, I can't see a single reason to be protecting something that can kill you or make you wish you were dead. But then I don't work for the DEC so most likely they have their reasons .... lol.

Frankly, I have no problem with snakes as long as I can see them well in advance. I don't feel like picking them up, but as long as they don't take off from under my feet, I can tolerate them. I have always had kind of a friendly relationship with black snakes. They are a very beneficial snake, and are very docile. I also have heard that they kill rattlesnakes. I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but just on the outside chance that that might be true, they always get a free pass from me.

Snakes are the #2 phobia in this country...

Fear of snakes is second only to fear of heights...

Snakes don't bother me too much...I  actually consider them quite interesting, although I have never had the urge to play with them.

I'm scared s***less of heights !!..

On my turf, snakes get a pass..They don't bother me, so I  just live and let live..

If you  don't like them on your property, that is your business.

I use to work in the Herpetology department in the Bronx Zoo and use to catch tiny garter snakes in the woods.  Outside of the venomous ones and the big constritors, snakes are completely harmless.  They don't leave a mess and will get rid of your rodents.

For men

Probably true, Growie...

However, many  of  the people that I personally know that are  rabidly phobic of serpents are males...

Not GIRLYMEN, either, but  big, rugged, hairy chested macho types who would kick butt in a bar fight but scream and run like little girls when they encounter a garter snake..

• Like 2

i should not even bother with this becouse those who call themselfs sportsman or lovers of the out doos but insist on killing an animal that they dont like or understand but for the record it was a milk snake there are no wild corn snakes in ny and as was stated all reptile are protected by state law killing an animal like that ie no differant than killing a deer out of season period we shoul all be thankfull for what is left of our wild life becouse it wont be here for mutch longer the was we are destroying all the habitat