Apple Scouting Report

What have folks been seeing for this years apple crop? I am in the area North of Utica, and south of Boonville, old farm country with a ton of naturally occurring apples in old fields and pastures. We have very few trees with even a single apple on them. Down south in the mohawk valley they seem to be doing better. I believe that it was a late frost, as I did not see a lot of blossoms. Thoughts/experiences?

• Like 1

Corydd- Yup, I'm in Remsen around a mile north of the village. I will be doing a search for any trees with a decent amount of apples. Many of my permanent stands overlook where there are apples. May need to rethink my strategy for this year.

1 minute ago, Farflung said:

Corydd- Yup, I'm in Remsen around a mile north of the village. I will be doing a search for any trees with a decent amount of apples. Many of my permanent stands overlook where there are apples. May need to rethink my strategy for this year.

When you make a left onto Fairchild rd from route 365, there are normally lots of apples on the right side. I was just up there on Monday and didn't notice any. That said if I recall I think August is when those come out.

I didnt see many on mine, but they need to be released again. My ancient crab apple 4' across at the trunk.. fell over this winter.. very sad. it put on thousands and thousands nearly every year.. The late dropping pears i planted a of couple years ago are loaded.. 

13 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Lots of apples on most of the wild trees on our properties, but man is there a ton of fire blight this year, too. I've never seen so much, from apples to pears, young and old trees alike. 

This year we had the worst fire blight conditions I have ever seen. It was for a very extended period as well. 

• 1 month later...

Went to the farm for the first time in ages.  Maybe since turkey season.  Cut some paths with the walk-behind brushhog.  Way more apples than I expected, since the farm is in a real drought.  Apples were small, but pretty plentiful and starting to drop already.  Cameras showed quite a few deer, lots of bears, coons and coyotes too.  My brother has seen plenty of hens and poults.  I'm hoping they get some rains.  The morning dews are already helping, but they could use some soakers.  

Not a whole lot to do as far as getting ready to hunt.  Check a few stands/straps. Maybe buy a couple cheap cams to add to the mix.  I need to hang one more vine for a mock scrape.  Other than that, it's just hurry up and wait.