Lawn freaks, show us your lawns

Geno C

I figured with all the food plotters, gardeners and tree growers minas well have a lawn thread.<br /><br />I'll start by saying my lawn looked like this when I bought in 2009..

post-252-13682339538629_thumb.jpg

Work in progress

post-252-13682339766736_thumb.jpg

post-252-13682340069327_thumb.jpg

Same year but summer time

post-252-1368234043987_thumb.jpg

post-252-13682340613177_thumb.jpg

And these were taken today

post-252-13682340969855_thumb.jpg

post-252-13682341190622_thumb.jpg

post-252-13682341371426_thumb.jpg

Lawn grown and maintained by me 100%... Love yard work lol

We spend a fair amount of time on our lawn.  It really doesn't take much to keep it looking good, IMO.  Scotts products and a broadcast spreader, twice a year will do WONDERS for a lawn.

This past week I planted a couple new trees, a Clump Heritage River Birch (humongous ball!) and spectacular HD Coralburst Crabapple.  Bought some flowers and vegetables today that probably won't see home dirt until Monday or Tuesday.

Yours looks good, Geo C.

id show u mine but i tend to piss of the deck and i get dead spots in the grass!!

I blame it on the dog.........

Funny, in the winter I shovel snow onto the yellow mound then when it melts it's always burned out.  My wife gets pissssssed!

Thanks! Out here by me it's a little harder to maintain... Sandy dry ground and when that constant high 80s hits crab grass try's to take over! It's bad. Especially since I have some slopes, water runs off, dries up and them weeds n crab grass gets nutty. Feels like I'm doing more with my lawn then just cutting it and doing a few treatments. Thought it would get easier lol

Every year i do the turfbuilder. Every year i complain about having to cut the grass every week.

LOL, I do it especially for the weed control.

If I could afford green concrete I would do the entire yard, front to back.

<grin>

What I find sad about my little slice of suburbia regarding lawn care is the amount of gardening crews that infiltrate the neighbor on a weekly basis. I refuse (both financiallyand philosophically) to have a gardener and as a result I have the $hattiest lawn on the block, but it is mine. No sprinkler system + three kids and a dog = spotty lawn and plent of weeds. Interestingly the backyard is coming in ok since the kids are too big to play all out there. But two large pine trees dump lawn killing needles daily and the old blow up pool remnants stil remain.

Geno, that looks great! Niceto see that someones used to be a bigger mess than ours lol.

Ours is a mess right now, but its a work in progress. The previous owners didnt give a damn, and in turn, the lawn is full of weeds, we have a bad grub problem, there were trees that went untrimmed for 15 years and shaded parts of the lawn into mud holes. I also have a bad low spot out in the back yard that does not drain out. As soon as we moved in we started working on it and other than a break for winter, we havent stopped. I still have alot to do, but Id like to at least get the front all pretty much set this year.

Ahh, the old lawn maintenance trap. The older you get the more logically you look at it. All that money, time and sweat into making it greener and lusher only requires the same in manicuring it. Let the Joneses have their pretty lawn, I'm with Lawdwaz, blacktop it all. Bless you folks that want to do it!!

• Like 1

the key to a good lawn is timing and good soil.  To keep a great lawn u need like 8 inches of good topsiol.  And remember when u put conventional fertilizer down it depletes the organics in the lawn and once a year you should put organic fert on the lawn to replenish it.  And dont over water it, or water at night.  Watering should be done right at sunup if you can.  Geno the lawn looks great.

Thanks Geno. I did it myself except for aerating. My BIL who is a landscaper had his guys do it for me. I use gypsum pellets to break up the clay, lime a week later and then I seed using Pennington seed. A bit more expensive but worth the result. I use Scotts fertilizer too. I wish I took a picture of it before I cut it yesterday. It was tall, thick and plush like a shag carpet. I enjoy maintaining it during the season. Just have to cut it using the highest setting on my mower. Otherwise the crabgrass comes out like gangbusters.