Lawn freaks, show us your lawns

Geno C

Takes me 3 1/2 hours every four days on a Jacobsen diesel with 6' deck just to almost stay ahead off the damn grass.  When I had the 44" zero turn it took at least 8 hours.  I HATE mowing the stupid lawn and I wouldn't know what crabgrass was if it pinched me.  This year I'm thinking about plowing up about 2 acres of the front and putting in a corn maze.  I definitely didn't think about mowing lawn when I put the house 300' off the road in a field.

The absolute LAST thing I want to do is RAISE my property value, if I knew it would work I'd dump a half dozen old appliances out there to get my taxes down! 

great work Geno. My conditions to my realtor when buying a house was that i would have nobody behind me. couldn't imagine having a fenced in back yard. i have about an acre worth of lawn. much harder to maintain but in pretty good shape. Nothing special. I do scott's 4 step, and will probably aerate this fall.

Thanks Geno. I did it myself except for aerating. My BIL who is a landscaper had his guys do it for me. I use gypsum pellets to break up the clay, lime a week later and then I seed using Pennington seed. A bit more expensive but worth the result. I use Scotts fertilizer too. I wish I took a picture of it before I cut it yesterday. It was tall, thick and plush like a shag carpet. I enjoy maintaining it during the season. Just have to cut it using the highest setting on my mower. Otherwise the crabgrass comes out like gangbusters.

The crabgrass here gets crazy... Once those heat waves hit the ground cracks and drys, crabgrass starts growing fast. Belive it or not, I never aerate or thach my my lawn. Turf builder plus 2 then a treatment or 2 of halts CG from Scott's.

great work Geno. My conditions to my realtor when buying a house was that i would have nobody behind me. couldn't imagine having a fenced in back yard. i have about an acre worth of lawn. much harder to maintain but in pretty good shape. Nothing special. I do scott's 4 step, and will probably aerate this fall.

Thanks Belo, I have a neighbor behind me and he's a lazy tool. His fence blew down with each storm and took him 3 months to even get around to putting it up. I offered my assistance when it first came down for Irene, months later he calls me to help him as I'm on my way up for fun season. I wanted to slap him, I'm like you know I offered months ago right??? Lol... That's Scott's turf builder plus 2 works wonders for me

Mowed today. Reseeded about a month ago need to hit a few more spots.

Front triangle area is where a big tree came down during sandy, that's why there is new Crete too.

Back Yard
post-2-13684088963368_thumb.jpg

Front Today

post-2-13684089252618_thumb.jpg

Front beginning of April (after seeded and spreading 2 yards of dirt) My lawn was torn up between a small loader taking a stump out, new concrete from the tree, etc etc.

post-2-0-81507200-1368410686_thumb.jpg

Thanks Belo, I have a neighbor behind me and he's a lazy tool. His fence blew down with each storm and took him 3 months to even get around to putting it up. I offered my assistance when it first came down for Irene, months later he calls me to help him as I'm on my way up for fun season. I wanted to slap him, I'm like you know I offered months ago right??? Lol... That's Scott's turf builder plus 2 works wonders for me

Best thing for crabcrass is more seed and letting the grass grow high so the other weeds get choked out by the lawn.  Going to try to cut mine higher this year. 

Best thing for crabcrass is more seed and letting the grass grow high so the other weeds get choked out by the lawn.  Going to try to cut mine higher this year. 

john your lawn is looking great! you did a great job on it.

i should have seeded more already by now but i didnt... i might grab seed and put it down good in the areas where CG pops up. i also want to sod a few spots. but i generally do not cut my grass low at all. i leave it about a quarter inch higher then i used to cut it.

My lawn is natural! I hate yard work and mowing!!

I have a huge lawn it tales me almost 2 hours on the Scag just to mow it and another hour to weed whack it. I got pretty dandelions, crab grass, clover, wild strawberries and a zillion other kinds of weeds in it. Heck you may even find some real grass there!

I can not wait till it gets burned out and stops growing and the fall when the leaves fall to smother it!!

I would rather be fishing, hunting or poking needles in my eyes than lawn work!! lol

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

Not my favorite thing either but I have to keep up with the neighbors. I have a pretty big lawn but my son usually does half and I do the other, so its not too bad. The lady (nut job) across the street up and moved out in the middle of the night, about 3 weeks ago so now me and my next door neighbor take turns cutting her front lawn so it doesn't get out of control. My wife mentioned buying a couple hanging flower baskets to but on the lady's porch so burglars don't think its abandoned......Nut job #2.

• Like 2

Not my favorite thing either but I have to keep up with the neighbors.

Forget the neighbors. I try to compete with the landscapers around me in my neighborhood. My lawn looks better than those maintained by the scapers.

Doing my lawn is my stress relief therapy second to hunting. I enjoy it. Gives me a sense of accomplishment especially when it comes out looking good.

I'm with you! I enjoy maintaining my property... When I bought my house it was vacant and had no lawn, "THAT" house on the block if you know what I mean, I turned that whole house and property to one of the nicest on the block, I will add, I do have the best lawn in the block hands down right now :)

And alot of people hire landscapers and lawn treatment guys. ::::blows on finger nails and rubs on shirt::::: lol

• Like 2

Not my favorite thing either but I have to keep up with the neighbors. I have a pretty big lawn but my son usually does half and I do the other, so its not too bad. The lady (nut job) across the street up and moved out in the middle of the night, about 3 weeks ago so now me and my next door neighbor take turns cutting her front lawn so it doesn't get out of control. My wife mentioned buying a couple hanging flower baskets to but on the lady's porch so burglars don't think its abandoned......Nut job #2.

The "nut job" remarks gave me a good laugh............Thanks !!