Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

22 hours ago, Belo said:

from what I read, and what I hope is that they'll still be in there during gun season maybe digging up the bulbs? The fall plot was really intended for gun more than bow. Something to suck them in when all the corn is cut. I guess we will see. 

The deer on my place won't touch any type of brassica. There's way to much other food in the way of apples, corn and soybeans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Theyre starting to hit them, hopefully with a good heavy frost that kills most of the greenery in the area they will be in here. Hunt a ladder stand for my wife in the Maple in the upper left of the frame. There was a 6 pt eating in it the night before last before dark.

Dont mind the busted up 3d, The Glen dell rut buck went to 3D heaven last week. lol  

IMG_3872.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. My Brassica's Sh-t the bed, though there are some really nice bulbs which have been getting picked at and hopefully will produce later on. Time did not allow me to manage them well after they took off. WIll be interesting to see how they draw. I also have chicory, beets and radish mixed on one half of the big plot. Corn is being cut in the immediate neighborhood, so the deer are concentrated there now

• Like 2

so this year my brassicas plots basically failed one plot did well that was in a natural damp area but the deer have nearly wiped it out  already the places I went back and planted with  rye got about 5 in high the deer now have down to an inch. lots, almost to much activity on the plots im very intrested to see when snow gets on the rye as short as it is will the deer dig threw snow to get it, if so i will be doing all rye .  so easy to plant and grow rye and cheap, just really like the late season draw of bulbs, ive seen deer dig threw 2ft of snow to get bulbs

• Like 1

The deer have wiped out all of my brassicas before any could put on a bulb/tuber.. which i guess makes a great time for seeding down a perennial blend. Even my kill plots got seeded with a fall grain blend into Mid september and they are literally keeping it right to the ground.. and these plots are a 1/2 acre and a 2/3 acre plot..  

But my plot behind the house is insane, the deer are in it nightly but they're only really eating the clovers and alfalfa that are growing up through. Hopefully they start getting the Brassica plants when temps drop(whenever that is) To my knowledge they've never had brassica bulbs/plants in the area.. 

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_9793.JPG

• Like 5

My plots look somewhere between those two.  Wish I had bulbs like that here.  The best of my brassicas are mowed down.  Took too long for them to get established thanks to the damn dry conditions.

On a positive note, I stopped by TS for birdseed and looked through the leftover food plot seed.  They had 1/2 acre bags of WI Fusion marked down to $25 from $36.  I was pleasantly surprised when it rang up to $18 at checkout.  I have two narrow woods plots that I want to expand.  I have had some success with chicory in the past, as well as small burnet.  I'm hoping that doubling the size will make both these staging plots better.  The biggest issue is leaves.  I may experiment with dragging them with the 4 wheeler and chain harrows.  I guess I would resort to a leaf blower if I had to.  I hate the sound of them more than just about anything.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 5:24 AM, LET EM GROW said:

ITs 2023 now, but last week of February I frost seeded all my fall plots with a blend of annual and perennial clovers/ chicory. Ill Top dress some alfalfa in Early to Mid April. Ground Temp depending..  

Did you get the seed locally or using the WTI bags?

Cant find alfalfa

5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Did you get the seed locally or using the WTI bags?

Cant find alfalfa

I ordered this on discount through Grandpa Rays Outdoors. My local supplier has turned to trash. I did find another wholesale supplier locally id like to try, He just asked me to get friends in on the deal so he can ship more for less.. So i need to get to calling some buddies local  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:51 AM, LET EM GROW said:

I ordered this on discount through Grandpa Rays Outdoors. My local supplier has turned to trash. I did find another wholesale supplier locally id like to try, He just asked me to get friends in on the deal so he can ship more for less.. So i need to get to calling some buddies local  

Let me know what you are ordering and I will join in.. thx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Just got 150 pounds of clover to frost seed this weekend. Im looking forward to seeing how it goes. I have 20 pounds of alfalfa to put into another small area that I want to maintain as a green space.

150 lbs? How many acres are you seeding? I just did 8lbS  

10 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Just got 150 pounds of clover to frost seed this weekend. Im looking forward to seeing how it goes. I have 20 pounds of alfalfa to put into another small area that I want to maintain as a green space.

Thats alot of clover seed got dang! lol. How many acres?

I will be putting 10-15 acres into clover. The guy who gave me the seed is a really good guy and he wanted to make sure I have enough. He and another guy started a foot plot seed business 2 years ago. Just getting off the ground. This is seed from 2021-2022.....gave it to be free...no promises. So I will be laying it down fairly heavy.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

I will be putting 10-15 acres into clover. The guy who gave me the seed is a really good guy and he wanted to make sure I have enough. He and another guy started a foot plot seed business 2 years ago. Just getting off the ground. This is seed from 2021-2022.....gave it to be free...no promises. So I will be laying it down fairly heavy.

Pics plz, that is a lot of land in clover

19 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

That is great all around. Clover is a hard seed, and unless it got moisture somehow.. You should have good results. Keep us posted!

It now looks like I will be putting just over 7 acres into clover this year. The other 10 acre area will be a mix of soybeans (6 acres) and a brassica mix (4 acres). I still have an adjoining 10 acre plot that will be planted with alfalfa.
Where did you get your soybeans?

I used to get them from QDMA, but did not get to them in time this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Seeded 5 acres of Clover today then had to cut and drop a ton of windfall on the major logging road.  Opened it right up. Pulled down a bunch of widow makers leaning on other trees. Its amazing how much work the Polaris Ranger can get done in the woods.   

Did you plant it or just top dress/frost seed the existing field? 

I “frost” seeded it pretty heavy. Im probably a week too late but I couldn’t get up there last weekend. I have no expectations. If it sucks Ill just disc it and plant something else there. 

I get my soybeans from a farmer client of mine. He gives me whatever he has left after planting. Cleans the hoopers out etc. last year he gave me 50 lbs or so. A friend gave me a 2 row planter. He bought a 25 hp tractor with implements for his property maintenance…nota hunter…has no use for the planter.  Ill try planting the beans with it this year. Im rally new to this. 

• Like 1

The seed was very well stored in a dry room before given to me. These guys are working hard to create this food plot business. I will probably give him 100 lbs back, as I will not use the other 2 bags this season. Id hate to see it go to waste if he can sell it to someone. I have plenty to overseed it again at least 2 more times if I choose to depending on my germination rate. I may roll those fields next weekend with the side by side to get good soil contact. That can never hurt.

I have done many favors for these guys over the years in my law practice. Some fairly substantial. If I kept track, im probably paying thousands for these seeds. I never been one to keep score. Im just grateful they think of me with their scrap seed that I can use and experiment with. Great hard-working guys who show their appreciation for the free legal work I have done for them over the years.

• Like 1