Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It's spotty down here too.....In Campbell they had 2+ inches early this afternoon.... Just 10 miles south in Dogpatch, we had less than 1/2"........................

It’s very humid and dark here in north dogpatch too The armpit of Cayuga county but no real rain yet

it’s feast or famine around here last summer I think we got 7 inches of rain in July and six more in August.  

This summer had been drier than a popcorn fart  mast and apple trees have small fruit and small nuts which seem to be dropping already.  I did see first Turkey poults of the year Today driving outside of Skaneateles 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Remember when we used to get rain? Seems like we only get rain now with thunderstorms. Used to be days it just rained all day. Seems like that rarely happens anymore.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I’m getting ready to go out to the back 40 and do the rain dance if you wanna swing by let me know we can drum up some precipitation perhapsI’m getting ready to go out to the back 40 and do the rain dance if you wanna swing by let me know we can drum up some precipitation perhaps

• Like 2

I’m getting ready to go out to the back 40 and do the rain dance if you wanna swing by let me know we can drum up some precipitation perhapsI’m getting ready to go out to the back 40 and do the rain dance if you wanna swing by let me know we can drum up some precipitation perhaps
Ok but I'm bringing a 12 pack. Gotta stay hydrated.

• Like 2

Got i believe my last plot in on Tuesday. I turned a long wide overgrown Logging road into what will be a perennial plot. I used Spring triticale, Oats, heavy dose of annual and perennial clovers and some Kale.. Will frost seed this in winter. May have to leaf blow it this fall to achieve perennial results. The logging road is about 225 yrds long and looks great.. Hoping this makes a phenomenal Turkey spot in Spring more than anything..   But this block of woods is loaded with doe groups. 

Have to check a very messy plot i tried after the next few days of rain and assess the scenario.. May mow it and till it and re seed it. Hoping some decent rains come through and those tiny seeds should pop easily 

Its great to have my little diesel sub compact back.. 

Image.jpeg

Image1.jpeg

Image2.jpeg

Image3.jpeg

Image4.jpeg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 5

Got out at first light and did two little plots. These are just mow and throw. I mowed them down as low as I could a week ago. Then cut them today with my wheeled weed eater right to the ground. Seeded them and will see how it goes. They don't need to be the greens of Augusta just be able to attract some deer is what I'm hoping for 0a7ee94dcd03a35a753c25861c7d64b1.jpg42c63db3f1a5da555230beb15fe3840c.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Billyb6 said:

Question from someone who has never done the food plot thing- why don’t you plant clover/ clover mixes in the fall?

You do.  Many people prefer it over spring planting because you get much less weed pressure in the fall.  Also there tends to more available moisture and cooler temps during the fall.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Billyb6 said:

Question from someone who has never done the food plot thing- why don’t you plant clover/ clover mixes in the fall?

You can but clover takes a bit to establish a root system. Most fall planting are done with a cerial grain( rye,wheat, triticale, oats) the grain grows quick and provides shade for clover as clover needs cooler temps and shorter days in full son.. in spring you can cut the grain or let go to seed and you will habe a 4 to 6 in flush growth of clover under it. 

Heat is "bad" for clover  and is also the reason you do not mow it in  from mid july to mid august. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billyb6 said:

Clover(perennial blends are best planted in Fall. Weeds are not growing anymore so this relieves weed competition. These legumes grow slow as they build roots first followed by top growth. They should be planted with a nurse crop like a grain of Wheat or Rye as it will stay green well into winter and be green in early April by Spring. These grains will re grow in Spring still acting as a nurse crop as the clovers really begin to take off. A simple high mowing of these grains in May or June will release a beautiful clover plot if seeded properly. 

Fall time is literally the best time to plant Clover/Perennial blends. No weed competition, Grasses have really slowed down as well, Cooler more moist soils. 

49 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Next weekend we are gonna try to til a spot again. But will be two of us and planting a mix of these. In this spot.327a940ff4e639876c17d5cfba2205b8.jpgf62a0d82e869a8c5060f5cab4a633d07.jpg

Beat up that soil as best you can! Keep us posted! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Next weekend we are gonna try to til a spot again. But will be two of us and planting a mix of these. In this spot.327a940ff4e639876c17d5cfba2205b8.jpgf62a0d82e869a8c5060f5cab4a633d07.jpg

If it helps you or gives you hope, I have taken a growing meadow of grasses, natives and golden rod and seeded soybeans, peas and sunflowers into.. And simply rolled them into the green growing vegetation.. Germination was less than normal but.. there was plenty of seed growing right in through the native growing browse. It was great.. Gives protection too until the planted seeds start outgrowing the rest.. 

• Like 1

Hi Thanks to all for the advice.  As I posted I am new to the food plot game- we have always hunted the larger tracts of timber etc and never planted anything around the camp.  As I get older I can see my days of roaming and tracking are waning, and it’s time to establish some habitat and have other options.

• Like 2

I have to man up and get discing/fertilizer done tomorrow.  Came down with the Rona on Wednesday, just been annoying and making me tired.  2 1/2 acre plots and 2 little kill plots to disc up and fertilize, plant hopefully on the 15th.  Thinking 1 turnip, 1 radish, and winter greens.  Maybe throw some snow peas in the little plot.  Hoping to ateast get a start on the 2 hillside plots this year, at least get them bare + pellet lime and throw some rye in.  Family has been on and off quarantine for 2 weeks now and it's killing my timeline.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Billyb6 said:

Hi Thanks to all for the advice.  As I posted I am new to the food plot game- we have always hunted the larger tracts of timber etc and never planted anything around the camp.  As I get older I can see my days of roaming and tracking are waning, and it’s time to establish some habitat and have other options.

Good group to be in in terms of plots and habitat work. ITs a different type of rewarding vs tracking your bucks. Probably much easier I would imagine too lol 

My  glass tower  plot greening up nicely. 20220805_155305.thumb.jpg.f780f38225c55c03fc49c3e1d5111ef8.jpg

Top of ravine new box blind plot as well.. quite a bit of volunteer rye  coming  in will prolly leave it grow as radish turnips fill in..20220805_152924.thumb.jpg.21669391416a8a61859394f1962d5602.jpg

now if i could get some rain been north and south of me.. was pouring in town and was excoted  but closest it got was bottom of hill less than a mile. Wet road there but my dirt road bone dry and dusty  sticks to a wet car nice...lol  But none falling here. :(

• Like 4

This is not the weather I'd choose to be doing this in.  89 in the shade at 2000 feet elevation.  Nice breeze though.  Plots are disced, time to hook up the York rake and get it done.  Half an inch of rain in the forecast this week with absolutely nothing else in the extended.  Plot next to the blind is in a really wet area, which pays off on years like this.  Usually worried about getting stuck, not so much this year.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 5:30 PM, G-Man said:

My  glass tower  plot greening up nicely. 20220805_155305.thumb.jpg.f780f38225c55c03fc49c3e1d5111ef8.jpg

Top of ravine new box blind plot as well.. quite a bit of volunteer rye  coming  in will prolly leave it grow as radish turnips fill in..20220805_152924.thumb.jpg.21669391416a8a61859394f1962d5602.jpg

now if i could get some rain been north and south of me.. was pouring in town and was excoted  but closest it got was bottom of hill less than a mile. Wet road there but my dirt road bone dry and dusty  sticks to a wet car nice...lol  But none falling here. :(

I have 7 plots spread across about 10 miles apart... The furthest south plot got .1" inches last thursday and the northern ones nothing.. Friday The northern most plots got .8" inches and the southern most got zero.. We need a day soaker asap for sure. at least the temps are going to cool down a bit. 

• Like 2

Not sure if mentioned before, But I use Farm logs to keep track of rainfall. IT is a great app you can keep tabs on moisture and soils your working with. I don't do anything with it more than just keeping tabs on rainfall that hit the exact field you are working. But it is neat if any of you want to check it out. Have used it for about 6 years now.