Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

Not sure if mentioned before, But I use Farm logs to keep track of rainfall. IT is a great app you can keep tabs on moisture and soils your working with. I don't do anything with it more than just keeping tabs on rainfall that hit the exact field you are working. But it is neat if any of you want to check it out. Have used it for about 6 years now.  

I’ll check that out thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody do any watering on some of their plots?  Supposed to get some rain, maybe, middle of next week.  I'd love to get this seed in the ground but it seems pointless without any rain. Probably just give the wildlife 5 days to come through and eat it all.  But if I could get get my hands on one of those big water containers, pump it full at the big pond 1/4 mile away, might give it a good enough start?  Just grasping at straws at this point I guess.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, wolc123 said:

I finished a 1/2 acre turnip plot this afternoon.  It’s been a long time since I used “buck on bag” stuff, but the price was right, so I gave it a try.

My new (to me) Durango worked well for hauling fertilizer, spreader, seed, and cultipacker back to the far corner.    I went a little light on the seed and heavy on the fertilizer, because brassicas always do better for me, when I do that.

1AE7B03A-09D4-41CC-B679-35182CD70186.thumb.jpeg.b4f7abde798abdc3cc95cc8c7bf5e86c.jpeg

A3F2B2B2-1F7F-48ED-A8C3-1E132F30E10D.thumb.jpeg.fa315b3090604f12b6698c38424ca6db.jpeg

AE18D919-62BB-4E28-BD06-E8E66F66799A.thumb.jpeg.489446b81c61ebad6c69a06b63d3ce2e.jpeg

It looks like the germination percentage don’t drop off too bad on 3-4 year old Whitetail Institute “Tall Tine Tubers”.   I seeded this plot at about 1/2 the recommended rate and it looks decent (6) days after planting.  

I also rolled the seed into freshly worked ground with a cultipacker, rather than cultipack first, like it said on the bag.  It’s had maybe 1/2 inch of rain total over those (6) days:

1E7E3F48-F8BE-4CF0-8D6B-4D63D8E257EB.thumb.jpeg.04949ecea51195f49648e84230cc9f0d.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

I believe our plots might be pretty rough looking this year. We disced but the ground was so hard and dry, paired with this lack of rain and who knows at this point. We went light on fertilizer at seeding and plan to monitor this weekend and next to adjust as needed. If we see enough germination and moisture then we'll fertilize later this month. Crazy summer season so far.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This long range forecast for next week looks good. d58c1c74f0d13280125a7572b9e0cfed.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

image.png.a884578ea060bda4161933d6c655b9b1.png

Yeah, I'm a bit torn.  Fertilized and then disced it all into the ground on Sunday, doing radishes in one, turnips in another.  There hasn't been hardly any rain since Sunday.  Maybe I should prep everything on Friday and then plant Sunday evening when we get back from NH?

17 hours ago, land 1 said:

man watering a plot would be tons of work,,, but im guessing would do the trick so far ive lucked out been keeping close eye on radar since i planted last week looks like it rained several times headed down tmrw...

I think about this both ways.

I've spent a lot of time and money to get all the equipment and the plots ready for seeds. The initial investment in equipment is a one time thing, but every year I'm hoping for it to pay off. To have them fail because we're not getting rain is so frustrating. The seed itself isn't that expensive. The fert isn't even break the bank, but overall it's a lot if nothing comes from it and I understand the desire to do whatever to see success... i'm not wired to accept failure.

Then there's a part of me who is like... I killed nice deer here without a single seed put into the ground. If it doesn't rain and it goes to waste I'll be annoyed. Will some grasses and clover naturally grow and will the work to till the ground and prevent it from going completely wild with saplings still be beneficial for next year? Of course. And I'll still hunt just the same.

16 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It looks like the germination percentage don’t drop off too bad on 3-4 year old Whitetail Institute “Tall Tine Tubers”.   I seeded this plot at about 1/2 the recommended rate and it looks decent (6) days after planting.  

I also rolled the seed into freshly worked ground with a cultipacker, rather than cultipack first, like it said on the bag.  It’s had maybe 1/2 inch of rain total over those (6) days:

1E7E3F48-F8BE-4CF0-8D6B-4D63D8E257EB.thumb.jpeg.04949ecea51195f49648e84230cc9f0d.jpeg

My understanding is that they want you to roll before seeding so that the seeds don't get buried too deep, but if you did a drag with your fert you'd be fine too. I imagine you'll still get good results unless you had some real deep ruts after discing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah, I'm a bit torn.  Fertilized and then disced it all into the ground on Sunday, doing radishes in one, turnips in another.  There hasn't been hardly any rain since Sunday.  Maybe I should prep everything on Friday and then plant Sunday evening when we get back from NH?

I'm shooting for Monday in 8F unless they call off all the potential rain. It is what it is at this point I think. 

5 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

yeah if you can although these days dont look like a lot of rain any particular day.  We are putting in our biggest plot this sat.  And the temps are gonna be cooler so hoping that helps til the rain comes.  I guess doing it when time allows is the biggest obstacle then trying to plan around a rainfall.  I planted one spot two weeks ago and we hardly got any rain til this week so im hopingit took ok.  I covered it with the cuttings thinking maybe that would help as well.  

Patience pays off.  We have good germination in all 7 plots. Recent rains brought everything to life.  If all continues well I will fertilize in two weeks and hit it with some plot boost. It appears the plot starter boosted ph 

290FFC63-2E49-43D3-9B67-D5BED5A1CCDE.jpeg

45F48B85-E3EA-4CA6-AE58-691CFAE90298.jpeg

1F0E7A22-2500-47CF-BA8C-7CE8665510A2.jpeg

2DC5C614-2E12-4999-AAAD-E8F62CF7CA09.jpeg

1BE415B2-F072-4564-88E9-32A4852D8B40.jpeg

5340E265-8AB7-4D3A-B66C-CFBBC5B1F22F.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Anybody do any watering on some of their plots?  Supposed to get some rain, maybe, middle of next week.  I'd love to get this seed in the ground but it seems pointless without any rain. Probably just give the wildlife 5 days to come through and eat it all.  But if I could get get my hands on one of those big water containers, pump it full at the big pond 1/4 mile away, might give it a good enough start?  Just grasping at straws at this point I guess.

Watering your plots can be tricky. I have watered mine before i left for vacation once. Got immediate germination, but if you don't get rain again in the next week or so and your soil is beat dry, you're going to kill those young sprouts. Once you start watering, you must continue whether its manmade rain or mother nature doing her thing.. 

Certainly water your plots if you can and its dry, but also, only if you can get back to them to water them again if mother nature isnt helping out. Also doing your waterings in the evenings will help conserve that moisture longer..    

My logging rod plot is up 4" in 6 days.. zero complaints there. 

MY messy plot has basically zero germination. way way too much thatch to get the seed down. I thought it would happen but figured id try it, since i did the plot a couple weeks early to experiment. Ill till it up very lightly just to expose a little soil and re seed.. rain next week hopefully. keep your soils covered in this dry summer weather will help you get started on fall plots as well.. 

Havent checked my other plots yet, but the cell cam shows a little greenery on them. Ill check them soon. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

sprayed my fall plot again last night after discing a little of a week ago. Some small new growth and stubborn stuff was still clinging on. Just did 10 gallons over the usual 20 though as gly is f'n expensive right now. 

I'm a little worried about my clover. It looked great pre-mow last week and after mowing even at 8" I'm seeing less clover, even the weeds are dying out. My guess is some rain and cold weather will snap it right back, but man this drought is hurting even "weeds" like clover...

If all goes to plan I'm hoping to get seeds in the ground Sunday or Monday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

sprayed my fall plot again last night after discing a little of a week ago. Some small new growth and stubborn stuff was still clinging on. Just did 10 gallons over the usual 20 though as gly is f'n expensive right now. 

I'm a little worried about my clover. It looked great pre-mow last week and after mowing even at 8" I'm seeing less clover, even the weeds are dying out. My guess is some rain and cold weather will snap it right back, but man this drought is hurting even "weeds" like clover...

If all goes to plan I'm hoping to get seeds in the ground Sunday or Monday.

Be careful when using gly and other chemicals. IF you don't mix enough or apply enough. You "can" make some weeds resistant to the chemical. And you'll have to change your application program up at that point. ITs also the reason alot of guys mix gly and 24-d d/b together when spraying to get good burn down.. 

5 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Be careful when using gly and other chemicals. IF you don't mix enough or apply enough. You "can" make some weeds resistant to the chemical. And you'll have to change your application program up at that point. ITs also the reason alot of guys mix gly and 24-d d/b together when spraying to get good burn down.. 

yeah this is an old fruit orchard where the trees have been cut and in 50 years i dont think they ever were sprayed. I do know what you mean about gly resistant weeds though. For sure something to consider if I keep doing this plot every year.