Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

So I need some advice. My fall plot had some spring growth probably 4-5' high. This wasn't the plan but it happened and I have to live with it. It was mowed about 4 weeks ago and now there's a thick layer of decomposing "hay". I sprayed last week and as you can see by the pics the spray is doing well. I don't have a tractor and I can till about 4" deep with my utv disc setup which is just fine for soil and seed contact... however with this much "shit" on top i'm worried the seed don't get to the soil. I disc'd today and will spray again in a week or so and disc some more but what do I do with all this "hay"? Worry about it or no?

PS I have a cultipacker to push stuff down.

IMG_1958.thumb.JPEG.67d91ef021cb725921604683d1756d90.JPEGIMG_1959.thumb.JPEG.6eed5776c93af1fc6317d67a0273b997.JPEG

IMG_1960.thumb.JPEG.c0916e4d809c1cda2058efe3ea9992be.JPEG

• Like 1

how bigs the plot i have put a match to some of mine say 1/2 to 3/4 acre burns off real quick just pick a time low winds and maybe disc edges up real good for fire break it looks a little thick and im guessing your soil to seed contact will not be good, or just keep going around with disc with many passes it will break up

Depends on what you plan on planting probably.  Some things require a really good seed bed while others seem to grow on a rock.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

So I need some advice. My fall plot had some spring growth probably 4-5' high. This wasn't the plan but it happened and I have to live with it. It was mowed about 4 weeks ago and now there's a thick layer of decomposing "hay". I sprayed last week and as you can see by the pics the spray is doing well. I don't have a tractor and I can till about 4" deep with my utv disc setup which is just fine for soil and seed contact... however with this much "shit" on top i'm worried the seed don't get to the soil. I disc'd today and will spray again in a week or so and disc some more but what do I do with all this "hay"? Worry about it or no?

IMG_1958.thumb.JPEG.67d91ef021cb725921604683d1756d90.JPEGIMG_1959.thumb.JPEG.6eed5776c93af1fc6317d67a0273b997.JPEG

We always have to basically rake the areas before we til and seed. We have only a tow behind drag tiller for the atv and it builds up with grass and have to keep taking the grass off it over and over. It's the toughest part of tiling and wish we could get around it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Belo said:

Burn it adds great nutrients to the ground

A little more progress today I got two plots planted and two more ready to be planted just have to spray a couple others and plant them over the next week hopefully we get some rain and things takeoff

30A65959-5779-4E73-9600-43590E52F186.jpeg

F66459C0-A324-40C8-B406-C94C89425EEF.jpeg

1753953F-4FDF-4020-89A4-213EC08C4585.jpeg

A733BCF9-C7B3-4C40-AAAC-E189D9A921FD.jpeg

6E66533E-D352-4170-824B-4F83293AF5A1.jpeg

• Like 3

Put in a plot today. Gotta come up with a better system. This is too much on the manual labor side. I don't mind a good day of work but 5.5 hours to do a little plot is silly. And it hurts. Lol.

The atv drag plow we have you can make one pass and have to lift and clean it off cause it gets too many weeds and no longer digs in. The plow is heavy and I have 2 cinder blocks on it as well. Do that a couple hundred times and it's a bit much.

We either need to invest in a disker or a tiller or just frost seed as that has taken well. 48059d857dafbce6a1fd35901f5d6ab8.jpg9ad1b593ceddcc7f77e3f02395aabaae.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Put in a plot today. Gotta come up with a better system. This is too much on the manual labor side. I don't mind a good day of work but 5.5 hours to do a little plot is silly. And it hurts. Lol.

The atv drag plow we have you can make one pass and have to lift and clean it off cause it gets too many weeds and no longer digs in. The plow is heavy and I have 2 cinder blocks on it as well. Do that a couple hundred times and it's a bit much.

We either need to invest in a disker or a tiller or just frost seed as that has taken well. 48059d857dafbce6a1fd35901f5d6ab8.jpg9ad1b593ceddcc7f77e3f02395aabaae.jpg

Maybe a local farmer would want to make a few extra bucks?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We either need to invest in a disker or a tiller or just frost seed as that has taken well.

I think you would be happier with a set of disc harrows.  I can't say I know much about harrows sized for a 4 wheeler, but they would be the right tool for the job.  Straight forward, not a ton of moving parts, inexpensive (compared to a tiller).

• Like 1

Maybe one of these for next season.....

Got a plan for this season. In doing some internet research am thinking since I cut this weekend, in two weeks go out and seed some throw and grow then cut again. I guess the seed tends to settle in and the 2 weeks worth of cut acts like a thatch cover. Gonna try that in a spot. Gonna try a few things and see what works best. Trying to plan for next year and beyond. What we are doing now is just too much labor esp the older I get. 739c7bef912072945dbfb4f83c4ce597.jpg

• Like 1

maybe a tow behind tiller if u dont have rocks but would need to mow often to keep the growth down during summer so weeds dont wrap it up
Zero rocks where we are. A tiller is def a possibility. We've been considering it. Def dont mind cutting more if it means a better way of doing things. I enjoy trail cutting anyway.

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Zero rocks where we are. A tiller is def a possibility. We've been considering it. Def dont mind cutting more if it means a better way of doing things. I enjoy trail cutting anyway.

Could always rent a compact tractor and tiller for a weekend from someone for a couple hundred bucks. 

• Like 1

Maybe a local farmer would want to make a few extra bucks?  

Maybe could but I will figure it out. Like to be able to do all the work myself but with better results for the work and time I am putting in with our current setup .

Maybe one of these for next season.....

Got a plan for this season. In doing some internet research am thinking since I cut this weekend, in two weeks go out and seed some throw and grow then cut again. I guess the seed tends to settle in and the 2 weeks worth of cut acts like a thatch cover. Gonna try that in a spot. Gonna try a few things and see what works best. Trying to plan for next year and beyond. What we are doing now is just too much labor esp the older I get. 739c7bef912072945dbfb4f83c4ce597.jpg

I’m using this, but it requires a 3 point and a bar… not cheap but everything else mounts to the 3 point too. A long term investment

Black Boar ATV/UTV Disc Harrow Implement with Adjustable Sides, for Cultivating, Establishing a Food Plot and Maintaining Your Property (66001) https://a.co/d/hInEUqZ

Kolpin Heavy-Duty 3-Point Hitch System - WHS03HD,black https://a.co/d/enhi3PD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

i used the black boar stuff its brutal not with 3 point hitch tho may make big diffrence  mine went right in hitch reciever of wheeler not sure if it was my rocky soil or not but was brutal abuse on wheeler had to have new reciever welded on wheeler after one use, used it one year stopped before i bent frame on wheeler or needed to replace the whole suspension... might be good on softer soil ,,, still have the attachments but just use an old drag harrow now

Edited by land 1

I try to keep my venison as “organic” as possible, which means minimizing herbicide usage.  One of my favorite tools for that is a 2-section, 3-point drag.  

Most of my fall food plots are planted on prior year’s corn plots.  I bush-hog those old corn stalks, as soon as the ground gets dry enough in the spring.  Then I go over it with the drag.   I continue to do that, several more times over the summer, usually a day or two after a soaking rain has softened the ground up a bit.

By September 1, when I start my fall wheat/white clover  plots, that ground is relatively weed free (with no herbicides) and ready for planting.  

As far as cost of equipment, a used 3-point drag might cost $ 300 - $ 600 depending on condition.  A used n-series Ford tractor, in serviceable condition, can be found for $ 1500.  For $ $2500, you can find one that has been restored.

You can go even cheaper, with an old non-3-point drag (used cost $ 100 - $ 200), and a non-3-point old tractor by various manufacturers  ($ 600- $ 1000) and still be farther ahead than those atv deals.

Atv’s are really not designed for ground engaging implement  usage.   

7507BC75-8893-40A3-8404-58519F18AB47.thumb.jpeg.a4f3739aff4f2fcf55028910e2b26227.jpeg

• Like 1

I use this behind my atv and have no issue just need to make circles. It does beat on the atv but I've never broke anything in five years. I use to add weight but I don't bother anymore, it works fine as is. The most important thing is to make circles tight, going in straight lines it won't do much at all.

I started powerplant three weeks ago and I'm happy with the progress even with the lack of rain and no fertilizer (was a clover plot so nitrogen should be good) this year. I top seeded the plot today with beets and greens. I tried this a couple years ago and had by far the best results of any food plot I've grown. Deer browse the beans and it allows full growth for the brassicas and saves them into late season.  Just need se rain Tuesday fingers crossed. Only a half acre but the tonnage provided supports lots of deer.

Screenshot_20220731-113651_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220731-113747_Messages.jpg

• Like 3

I use this behind my atv and have no issue just need to make circles. It does beat on the atv but I've never broke anything in five years. I use to add weight but I don't bother anymore, it works fine as is. The most important thing is to make circles tight, going in straight lines it won't do much at all.
I started powerplant three weeks ago and I'm happy with the progress even with the lack of rain and no fertilizer (was a clover plot so nitrogen should be good) this year. I top seeded the plot today with beets and greens. I tried this a couple years ago and had by far the best results of any food plot I've grown. Deer browse the beans and it allows full growth for the brassicas and saves them into late season.  Just need se rain Tuesday fingers crossed. Only a half acre but the tonnage provided supports lots of deer.
Screenshot_20220731-113651_Chrome.thumb.jpg.93bb92b19dd2cfa02f45db3cdd313166.jpg
Screenshot_20220731-113747_Messages.thumb.jpg.e27872ed7359a76c8fe42db170303318.jpg
Did you buy it from this site in pic? Most of these are listed for ,$500. And no issues collecting grass on it?

Do you spray and kill weeds first ?

Thanks . Looks great and def a possibility for us.

When I bought mine it was from northern tool. About $350 but also $150 to ship so yeah about $500. I do spray before it helps a ton but not necessary. It does collect grass but it's pretty easy to remove. 

For me it's perfect, I live three and a half hours away so no tractor, no help from anyone, I simply hook it up and go. Half acre took me about 45 minutes this year (could have used another couple passes). The first year however took numerous hours. Probably 5 hours over three days. The field was overgrown briars and ferns.

• Like 1

When I bought mine it was from northern tool. About $350 but also $150 to ship so yeah about $500. I do spray before it helps a ton but not necessary. It does collect grass but it's pretty easy to remove. 
For me it's perfect, I live three and a half hours away so no tractor, no help from anyone, I simply hook it up and go. Half acre took me about 45 minutes this year (could have used another couple passes). The first year however took numerous hours. Probably 5 hours over three days. The field was overgrown briars and ferns.
The one I was looking at was from northern tool as well. Next year we might give one a try. Thanks.

• Like 1

If you have corn within a mile of your deer your deer is not only not eating organic but also not eating gmo free.

I wouldn’t worry about some gly on an acre plot. If anything I wouldn’t use it because it’s expensive as shit haha.

• Like 1

i used the black boar stuff its brutal not with 3 point hitch tho may make big diffrence  mine went right in hitch reciever of wheeler not sure if it was my rocky soil or not but was brutal abuse on wheeler had to have new reciever welded on wheeler after one use, used it one year stopped before i bent frame on wheeler or needed to replace the whole suspension... might be good on softer soil ,,, still have the attachments but just use an old drag harrow now

I could see that happening for sure. The 3 point puts it into the ground with several hundred pounds of force. I’ve read similar stuff from wheeler guys, I haven’t had an issue with my much larger and heavier utv which also uses a bigger hitch.