Bales of Hay

DTG3k

I set front bales narrow way, another set behind the long way four high.  One bale in front of the works to set my 3 d or my block target on. Works good. One word of advise though, set the stings on the side so they don't rot quickly.  I use hay that has got wet, as I don't like to sell that to anyone.

Instead of hay or straw bales, how about a free block target that'll stop broadheads?

Tractor Supply has their trailers shipped in on foam blocks, allot of their stores stack them on pallets out back. They are happy to give them away. Pick up 9 of them, block them 3x3 with a ratchet strap. ps they also have ratchet straps.

The very best arrow backstop that I ever had is a 4' x 4' corrugated cardboard target. I constructed layers of cardboard arranged so that the arrows would be shot into the legthe of the corregations which makes it quite self-healing. The layers are compressed together with two 1/2" threaded rods that can be re-tightened when necessary. Every so many years, when the center eventually becomes chopped up, the whole thing can be pulled apart and rebuilt with the unshot corrugations put into the center and the shot ones moved to the top and bottom, and reversed so that there are all new corrugations to shoot at. I built this target back in 1986, and it is still in use today. It has taken untold thousands of arrows from my constant practice and additional shots from guests. Today, 27 years later, it finally only serves as a backstop. The edges are still holding arrows, but the center has finally gotten a bit too soft. Instead of rebuilding it again, I took the lazy way out and just hung a Block target in from. The outside edges of the 4' x 4' original butt will still stop some crazy shot that gets away. So even after all these years, it still is serving the purpose of stopping arrows.

post-11-0-72052100-1369168791_thumb.jpg

Poor old tired cardboard butt has finally given up the center, but the edges will still stop any crazy shots

post-11-0-28241500-1369168849_thumb.jpg

Yes, I do have lights so I can shoot at night. The frame off to the left is my target holder for bench shooting with the rifles.

smaller square bales in a single deep stack of two won't stop an arrow any moderately fast arrow.  two bales deep and you might be good.  they will tear up vanes/fletches though.  you're better off spending $100 and getting a Rhinehart Rhinoblock target.  in the long run that will be cheaper and easier to use anyway.

you definitely do not want to use hay...  Hay breaks down quickly and the twine is usually biodegradable, so the bale will fall apart very quickly.

If you are going to go that route, you want straw and ideally, you want straw that is balled with wire and note twine.

I agree with everyone else here...  get a good target..  I have bought 2 block targets on Craiglist and both of them were almost new..  I think I paid $30 for one and $35 for the other..

I shoot my broadheads a lot (I am a firm believer that you should shoot with what you are going to hunt with) and the Blcok targets hold up pretty well. 

I do put straw bales behind the Block, as I have firends that seems to a bit wild with their shooting...  IT doesn't always stop the arrows, but slows them down enough that you don't loose them..

Eddie .... One thing that should work out well with thai target is that it is good for broadheads too. that's the one drawback to my corrugated cardboard butt. It may last almost thirty years with field tips, but don't ever shoot a broadhead tipped arow into it if you ever want to get it back again.

When it comes time to check out my broadheads, I get those cheapie styrofoam targets from Walmart. I can get about 2 years out of them before they start leaking arrows. One thing that discourages my using field tips in styrofoam is the gosh-awful grip that it gets on the arrow shafts when the target is new. It really doesn't want to give the arrows back. It's no problem with broadheads because they cut a "relief" path through.

One complaint that I do have with Walmart's variety of styrofoam is that after the target starts getting chopped up a bit, it leaves an awful mess with little round styrofoam balls all over the place. That's the one advantage of removing the plastic wrapper like you do. On the Walmart targets, the plastic wrapper is the target face. When I take it in the house for the winter, that plastic sheeting is like a leaky bag full of all that styrofoam debris. It always seems that over the winter the thing gets moved around enough to make a hell of a mess in the basement.

Also I think I like the price of your target a lot better than Walmart's .... lol. The one thing you can always be sure of regardless of what material you use is that broadheads will eventually chop them up. It's good to have a free replacement material.

you definitely do not want to use hay...  Hay breaks down quickly and the twine is usually biodegradable, so the bale will fall apart very quickly.

If you are going to go that route, you want straw and ideally, you want straw that is balled with wire and note twine.

I agree with everyone else here...  get a good target..  I have bought 2 block targets on Craiglist and both of them were almost new..  I think I paid $30 for one and $35 for the other..

I shoot my broadheads a lot (I am a firm believer that you should shoot with what you are going to hunt with) and the Blcok targets hold up pretty well. 

I do put straw bales behind the Block, as I have firends that seems to a bit wild with their shooting...  IT doesn't always stop the arrows, but slows them down enough that you don't loose them..

Many years ago, we (Our NFAA archery club) used to use excelsior bales, metal banded to keep them tight. That worked pretty good and almost all of the clubs used them. But ... They weren't cheap even back then (mid 1980's). But over-all, they were a lot better than hay could ever be for longevity.

Bales will work as long as they are bound  real tight with metal straps or ratchet straps. Otherwise the arrows will zip right through. Most public ranges use hay, but they are always bound with metal straps.  They  get shot out pretty quick because of the number of people shooting at them.. . Buy a block type target. It should last you a while . Im on year 4 with mine and the arrows are just starting to poke through on the main center  bullseye. Still have 4 corners to go.

Edited by ants

Hay bales work great when using your hunting broad heads it does not dull them as easy as cardboard that has glue holding it together,The foam blocks suck trying to pull the broad heads  out.Hay bales only cost $ 2.50 each.