Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

Doc, there are a bunch of videos out there of people taking 100 yard shots with vertical bows. What in the world is your or belo's point here? The FACT is, that just because the weapon is capable of something in perfect conditions, doesnt mean you can do the same thing in a hunting situation, with a live animal that moves, etc. You yourself have made that very statement in discussions on long distance archery shots in the past. So now its convenient for you to say differently.

I will take your word for the 100 yard vertical bow shots. I haven't seen any that were as accurately placed and repeatable as that PSE contraption, and I would be surprised if there really is anyone who can consistently hit that tiny orange dot at 100 yards with a vertical bow. and to even do it once has to require an amazing amount of dumb luck. But I expect that that guy could have sat there doing that all day long and never be very far from that orange dot. But actually, I believe that even you have already admitted that crossbows are easier to shoot and more accurate than real bows. I honestly don't even understand what you are arguing about when somebody shows you a video that demonstrates that fact.

But what struck me, watching that guy plopped down effortlessly holding his breath and taking all the time in the world to slowly squeeze that trigger to get that perfect "surprise" firing had absolutely all the elements of a guy out on the target range with his favorite rifle. I'm familiar with that kind of shooting because I have my rifles out target shooting quite a bit.

But there was nothing in his form and discipline that even remotely reminded me of shooting a bow .... nothing. And that's because the crossbow allows all the precision elements to be automatically done for you (just like a rifle). It isn't archery. It's rifle shooting with a bolt-flinging contraption .... lol. I was looking for the consistent grip on the handle, the proper bow arm position, the back tension, the anchor position, the perfect release under the hold weight pressure, and the perfect follow through. But even without all that form stuff, the arrow went right into that tiny orange dot. The crossbow did all that stuff for him. Even his sighting was assisted with a rifle-style scope. No, there was no archery being done there. But it was a perfect demonstration of the accuracy and effortless ability to repeat with a quality crossbow and it would be foolish for anyone to insist that it would be that easy with a bow. Actually, I have seen a lot of shotguns that are not that consistent.

• Like 1

FACT: Compounds are more accurate than Crossbows.

The compound bow is more accurate due to the fact of a consistent anchor point. String loops have become a must for extreme accuracy. The arrow sits between the string loop knots and the release is held on the string loop in the same place every time making it very accurate. The crossbow has to be drawn and locked into a latch where the consistent string position can be compromised, allowing for the arrow to hit the left or to the right of the target.

This is why Competitive Compound Bow Shooters score higher than Cross Bow Shooters in the same tournament.

I'm talking about target practice not hunting.

Regarding the compound, it would take you more than a week to hit a paper plate at 100 yards? Come on, after 10-15 attempts you will know where to aim and you will hit it.

Regarding the rifle, once the gun is sighted in correctly, anybody who doesn't flinch can be proficient at 100 yards. You can take any joe schmo off the streets who never shot a gun a before and get them to hit a paper plate at a 100 yards with a sighted in gun, as long as they don't flinch.

Yeah, even I think you are blowing smoke with that claim. Most people will never have the form consistency to do that within their lifetime. Let's try to keep things a little bit credible....lol.

In fact there are some people that will never be as accurate with their rifle as that guy was with that crossbow.

I'm not sure what the point is that you are trying  to make, but there sure is some wild stuff being thrown around in this thread.

Point is that I am not impressed with the crossbow shot whatsoever. Nor would I be impressed if anybody posted a video of shooting a paper plate at 100 yards with a compound. Shooting (no matter what weapon) is just practice. 

I would bet that 100 out of 100 guys on this site who shoot compounds can hit a paper plate at 100 yards at least once given say 4 hours of trying. If not, that's sad.

Point is that I am not impressed with the crossbow shot whatsoever. Nor would I be impressed if anybody posted a video of shooting a paper plate at 100 yards with a compound. Shooting (no matter what weapon) is just practice. 

I would bet that 100 out of 100 guys on this site who shoot compounds can hit a paper plate at 100 yards at least once given say 4 hours of trying. If not, that's sad.

Well, I'm quite impressed with any weapon that can repeatedly hit that small target 100 yards downrange. I doubt that I could do it. It would be fun to try. But at the very least I have to give credit where credit is due. That machine is quite impressive. I am no fan of crossbows, but I am intrigued that something could make a projectile behave that consistently over that distance.

I also would be impressed with anyone who could consistently do that with a bow (I'm not sure there is anybody who can .... consistently that is). But I am not stingy with my appreciation of somebody doing something that I cannot.

Hey guys on hunting show I saw a guy shoot a deer at 95yd’s with a bow. He used the excuse that he hit the deer the day before and it was limping. When he hit the deer in the liver and it took off it didn’t look like it was hit the day before. He did recover the deer but unethical is unethical and it doesn’t matter what you are using.

"check my avatar. maybe if you get a crossbow one day you'll get the chance :fuck:"

Oh Ive had chances at deer that would probably make you fall out of your stand, just havent sealed the deal yet. It will happen, and it will happen with my Hoyt.

"so you can flip me off but I can't respond to it? got it. Family site with a smiley entitled f#*C. lmao!

oh, and it's still illegal. still winning, and you're still whining."

You cant recognize that your crap stinks like everyone else's and you cant recognize sarcasm. Im not whining about anything at all bub, but you sure will be when when the DEC sticks crossbows into archery season. :bye:

both of your statements are things that have not happened. Both of mine have.

I'll let everyone else be the judge. Done with the pissing match for now. Bub.

Yeah, even I think you are blowing smoke with that claim. Most people will never have the form consistency to do that within their lifetime. Let's try to keep things a little bit credible....lol.

In fact there are some people that will never be as accurate with their rifle as that guy was with that crossbow.

I'm not sure what the point is that you are trying  to make, but there sure is some wild stuff being thrown around in this thread.

years of practice and I still don't like shooting over 30. I can split arrows at 15, but my 30 yard target includes the occasional bad shot. I can't even imagine 100.

both of your statements are things that have not happened. Both of mine have.

I'll let everyone else be the judge. Done with the pissing match for now. Bub.

Youre so original.

The crossbow thing is far from over, you havent won a thing.

Just because youve taken a decent buck with your bow doesnt mean youre any better than anyone else. Your shit still stinks.

BTW, the "e" in douche is still silent.

Do you think 100 out of 100 guys could hit a little orange dot on that same paper plate at 100 yards ?

years of practice and I still don't like shooting over 30. I can split arrows at 15, but my 30 yard target includes the occasional bad shot. I can't even imagine 100.

Good thing u live in NY and not out west. You be eating tag soup every year if you didn't shoot past 30yds. 30 yds isn't even top pin for most western bow hunters.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Youre so original.

The crossbow thing is far from over, you havent won a thing.

Just because youve taken a decent buck with your bow doesnt mean youre any better than anyone else. Your shit still stinks.

BTW, the "e" in douche is still silent.

1. Until a suprme court grants it unconstitutional, anti crossbow will never win, we will just keep winning as it reamins illegal. I do admit I sit here at work smiling seeing how ruffled your feathers get.

2. never said I was better than you; but I find it funny you're so pro-crossbow without ever having shot a nice buck with your bow. And trust me, around 11:15am it was very stinky. Labbatts blue light leftover from the 4th. Generally I like a nice sam adams or micro brew during the week after work vs la-pabts. stinky, stinky poops

Good thing u live in NY and not out west. You be eating tag soup every year if you didn't shoot past 30yds. 30 yds isn't even top pin for most western bow hunters.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

you've made a lot of statements about "out west" on a NY hunting website. I assume everyone is taking your word for it, but I haven't seen any articles or videos.

Edited by Belo

1. Until a suprme court grants it unconstitutional, anti crossbow will never win, we will just keep winning as it reamins illegal. I do admit I sit here at work smiling seeing how ruffled your feathers get.

2. never said I was better than you; but I find it funny you're so pro-crossbow without ever having shot a nice buck with your bow.

Unconstitutional? Lost ya there. I never mentioned constitutionality of anything. My feathers arent ruffled at all bub, just another one of your assumptions. Why do you find it funny that I am pro-crossbow. I didnt know shooting a "decent buck" with my bow (i have taken a buck with my bow BTW, from the ground, just not one that you would probably consider "decent") was a prerequisite for being in support of allowing people the freedom to choose what type of bow they want to use. Im not an elitist douche bag.

Unconstitutional? Lost ya there. I never mentioned constitutionality of anything. My feathers arent ruffled at all bub, just another one of your assumptions. Why do you find it funny that I am pro-crossbow. I didnt know shooting a "decent buck" with my bow (i have taken a buck with my bow BTW, from the ground, just not one that you would probably consider "decent") was a prerequisite for being in support of allowing people the freedom to choose what type of bow they want to use. Im not an elitist douche bag.

did you even read the post? I said that there will never be a winner because until they're legalized there will be always people pushing them. There is no win for those of us who are against them. We just have to try to keep winning. And the constitutions was a joke because that's about the only thing that could end them for good and we know that wont happen.

I'm still waiting for a anti-cross bow person to make a valid arguement why not to allow it. A bunch of speculation and opinions. I still think the most important reason to allow it is for the handicap or elderly.

i would support them in that instance. have said it more than 2 dozen times now.

BELO, Thats were we should start at least. Honestly they do it for the elderly and handicap then I bow out of this argument all together. I'm really don't care what implements others use but as long as all hunters are accomadated for their physical limitations I'm satisfied.

And I have to wonder why the crossbow pushers didn't start there. That seems to be their strongest argument, and the one that would have most easily gotten their foot into bow season. I really wonder if the pro-crossbow crowd really is concerned much about the handicapped and the elderly or if they are simply using them to bolster their real goal of cramming crossbows into bow season for everybody.

Baby steps people. I believe you will get what you want by not coming on quite so greedy all at once.

• Like 2

Man, how many of these threads do we have to have?  It's clear that the vocal minority oppose xbows in the current "archery" season.  It's also clear that no one's mind is changing.  Y'all can argue until you're blue in the face and the opinions have not and will not change.  I know what side of the fence I'm on, I certainly know what side of the fence Belo is on.  

I WAS hoping this thread would be a place to read about the facts of A283 - and it was for a while - but I guess that's not gonna happen any longer.  :-(  Seems to me the only reason it didn't pass is because one idiot representative made sure it didn't happen.  I hate it when the minority wins, same thing happened with the SAFE act.

Guess another year of wear and tear on my shoulders won't be that big of a deal.  Hopefully we can use xbows in 2014.

Zhe Wiz