Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

A forum on crossbows was held May 22 at the state Capitol, where, for several hours, anyone wishing to speak for or against crossbow hunting in New York would be heard. There were 13 that spoke at this forum, and ALL were pro-crossbow. Where was that group of New York Bowhunters whose web site plainly states that they “are opposed to any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery season-only area?”

It seems to me that NYB has given up. The result is inevitable.

who were they talking to, a bunch of politicians who don't know the difference between a compound bow, crossbow or slingshot?..............I can just picture the blank stares on their faces.

• Like 1

A forum on crossbows was held May 22 at the state Capitol, where, for several hours, anyone wishing to speak for or against crossbow hunting in New York would be heard. There were 13 that spoke at this forum, and ALL were pro-crossbow. Where was that group of New York Bowhunters whose web site plainly states that they “are opposed to any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery season-only area?”

Apparently the NYB didn't have to be there ............

I will just hunt in CT and PA.

However, I would bet there are a lot of people who will hunt with xbows during archery this season in New York, just like the guys who hunt with those interchangeable T/C's, and use rifles or shotguns during ML season.

well hopefully sportsman will follow the laws, i don't consider those that hunt out of season or those who hunt illegally sportsman, 

as for the individual whom is 70+ yrs old and has a hard time pulling a bow he should be allowed to use a crossbow, along with legitimate disabled individuals. just like you can have ATV access if needed. 

i just think the guys who just want to use Xbows because its an obvious advantage should be avoided, ya know those whom only hunt with guides, those who only go on guaranteed hunts ect... those who avoid challenges.

• Like 1

ya know those whom only hunt with guides, those who only go on guaranteed hunts ect... those who avoid challenges.

I have never been on a canned hunt in my life, never will (if that's what you are lamely trying to imply). 

You sound like a guy who has never outside of New York for whatever reasons, but its certainly not by choice. Any true outdoorsman would love to hunt other states or around the world. That's too bad for you. Hopefully, someday you enjoy hunting more than just whitetail day.

But remember, you can't just go to any state or province and hunt on your own. In some places that's illegal. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I know British Columbia is 1 of them. I'm headed there in December.

"All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt big game in the province of British Columbia must be accompanied by a registered guide or accompanied by a resident who holds a Permit to Accompany."

Lastly, if I or anyone wanted to "avoid challenges" why would I/we buy a crossbow? I would just always hunt with a gun if I didn't want the challenge of hunting with a crossbow.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I suppose they figured it wasn't worth their time and they were right. If the DEC has it in its plans; why would they even bother? They have to head it off before it's in the hands of the DEC and that's exactly what they have done, and did and won at.

However, I would bet there are a lot of people who will hunt with xbows during archery this season in New York, just like the guys who hunt with those interchangeable T/C's, and use rifles or shotguns during ML season.

Apparently you have a very low opinion of those that hunt with crossbows if you believe that a lot of them are lawbreakers that would illegally hunt with their contraptions. Look, I am not for crossbows in bow season, but even I would not impugn the integrity and honesty of those that want to bust their way into bow season. I have no reason to believe as you apparently do that these people are poachers and would hunt illegally. Frankly, you really don't do your cause much good by making those kinds of statements.

Its quite the accusation that given hunting is usually not a team effort I would imagine these "bad guys" of the sport are acquaintances of yours? Or do strangers always openly admit how they break the law to you?

I've honestly never hunted with anyone in NY but my Dad. We always obey all laws n regulations, that's how I was taught. That being said from word of mouth in the area, etc. I do know of people who cheat with Texas style corn feeders and use a rifle caliber t/c during ML season. It's shotgun county, so being able to shoot 200-300 yards is a big difference.

I could imagine these same guys hunting with an xbow during archery on their big private lands and then bringing their deer to a butcher with the arrow wound and say it was a bow kill. I'm sure this stuff goes on all over New York.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I've honestly never hunted with anyone in NY but my Dad. We always obey all laws n regulations, that's how I was taught. That being said from word of mouth in the area, etc. I do know of people who cheat with Texas style corn feeders and use a rifle caliber t/c during ML season. It's shotgun county, so being able to shoot 200-300 yards is a big difference.

I could imagine these same guys hunting with an xbow during archery on their big private lands and then bringing their deer to a butcher with the arrow wound and say it was a bow kill. I'm sure this stuff goes on all over New York.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

this stuff goes on in every season and with every type of weapon........no secret there.

• Like 1

Yours is reasonable for a man...but if someone is shooting 80 in NYS it makes no sense to me...we don't have Moose...grizzly...elk...what is the purpose of it? With the new bows arrows fletchings ...at 49 #'s I have had clean pass thru's at 35 -38 yrds...deer down with in 60 yrds...so other than bragging rt's ...why risk the shoulders?