Competition Archery question

jjb4900

this really isn't a hunting topic, so I chose not to put it in the bowhunting or crossbow hunting section..........is it acceptable to show up at an archery competition event with a crossbow to compete against Archer's shooting either traditional bows or compound bows?...........many say they're all equal, so looking for feedback.

someone has to say it so here goes... The archery club I belong to does not allow crossbows on their property. I personally don't have any problem with crossbows, I believe it will just be a matter of time before they are accepted by all archers. The compound people probably had the same uphill battle 40+ years ago.

• Like 1

this really isn't a hunting topic, so I chose not to put it in the bowhunting or crossbow hunting section..........is it acceptable to show up at an archery competition event with a crossbow to compete against Archer's shooting either traditional bows or compound bows?...........many say they're all equal, so looking for feedback.

Call and ask beforehand

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I would have a fit, and would not let a cross bow be allowed. I do not know for safety sake if a person missed with a cross bow how far a arrow would fly, also would have concern that the cross bow may punh right thru targets or damage the targets. We had a guy with a cross bow join a club in MB and they asked him to just keep it on the practice area and not plan on shooting the 3D's. With him we found he had to move his scope so that he would not ware out the practice target and go right thru. His bow was a PSE crossbow at 165 lbs.

My club has tournaments every weekend.  It has two classes, traditional or compound.  Crossbows are not allowed.

What is their reasoning for not allowing VS starting another class? I have shot in leagues where even the compounds had two classes. one with fingers and one with releases.

I have seen firearms competitions too that had classifications for optics and no optics.

Well, you guys can keep wearing your blinders, but many tournaments have a class for crossbows, just like theres a class for compounds and others for recurves, etc. So the answer to the question would be that yes, it would be appropriate if there is a class in the tournament which includes them. If not, it would be no more appropriate than bringing a compound to an olympic qualifier.

At events like the IBO major shoots, they are in their own class.

They share ranges with a couple compound classes.

Shooting braced kneeling, they are consistently outscored by the compounder on the 40/45 yd max ranges.

And Bill, there is no significant difference in the distance an arrow travels from a crossbow vs what one from a crossbow does.

I would say that they should not be allowed. Simply go to bing.com images or google.com images and type in Archery.  You will not find a crossbow anywhere in the results because crossbow shooting is not the same as true archery.  Or look up the definition of archery in the dictionary.  It states, "the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow.  So as you ask ....."is it acceptable to show up at an archery competition event with a crossbow to compete against Archer's shooting either traditional bows or compound bows?" no it is not because it is not the same thing.  Can't make it any more simple of a answer to your question. 

Yes, I've been to two....I looked it up, Yes in an IBO - you know International BOWhunting Organization event, (if you want to reference these kinds of events) there Is a class for crossbows but they DO NOT compete with any other classes.  So again the answer to your question is No...its not acceptable.  Here is the link to the rules.   http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2013/IBO_RULES_2013.pdf

Yes, I've been to two....I looked it up, Yes in an IBO - you know International BOWhunting Organization event, (if you want to reference these kinds of events) there Is a class for crossbows but they DO NOT compete with any other classes.  So again the answer to your question is No...its not acceptable.  Here is the link to the rules.   http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2013/IBO_RULES_2013.pdf

Why would that be of any surprise to anybody? Archery competition is all about mastering the disciplines and rigid repetition of form that cross bows by design have totally eliminated.

• Like 2

And Trad do not compete with LB, or Hunter, Master Hunter, PNF, MBO, MBR, or any of the other classes None are considered as equals for competitions - thats why they have classes.

And those in the IBO crossbow class would choose not to compete against the compound class they share a range with as they would get their butt handed to them. Using the OP's twisted trolling logic, this would suggest that crossbows are inferior to the compounds then. 

Edited by SteveB

Why would that be of any surprise to anybody? Archery competition is all about mastering the disciplines and rigid repetition of form that cross bows by design have totally eliminated.

Archery competitions are about shooting the best score with the equipment limitations of your chosen class.

The crossbow competitor who wins his class is the one that day who has mastered the disciplines and form repetition needed to shoot the highest score. Same as the winner in the LB, Trad, Hunter, MBO and all the other archery classes.

I would have a fit, and would not let a cross bow be allowed. I do not know for safety sake if a person missed with a cross bow how far a arrow would fly, also would have concern that the cross bow may punh right thru targets or damage the targets. We had a guy with a cross bow join a club in MB and they asked him to just keep it on the practice area and not plan on shooting the 3D's. With him we found he had to move his scope so that he would not ware out the practice target and go right thru. His bow was a PSE crossbow at 165 lbs.

i would def call before hand however I would think you would not be allowed to compete with it. Now, a few say crossbows are more powerful etc etc... I have one and its at 175 lbs, I have a regular average joe 3D deer target and it stops the bolt every time. No pass thoughs and does not destroy the target any more then the compound the only difference is the people's opinions on them