Black Powder Cleaning

BKhunter

Hello All,

I have a TC black powder rifle and it seems everytime I use it no matter how much I clean it i always seem to get fowling build up in the barrel and breach plug. In the video they run a few patches and its clean 1.2.3 (I know this is not the case in reality as they want to promote the ease of cleaning their product). I run around 20 patches through the barrel and srub the breach plug and still get this build up. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Thanks in advance.

When I shot black powder , this is how I did it. Take out the breach plug and place that end of the barrel into a bucket of Luke warm soapy water. I just used plain dish soap. Make the water a little on the soapy side. Then put your cleaning rod/patch down through the muzzle but wet the patch first, with the soapy water solution. Run the rod up and down the bore and you will notice that it causes a vacuum effect and will draw the water from the breach into the barrel.  Scrub it good and take the barrel out. dry off the out side and run dry patches through the bore until dry. Then run a clean patch   with some  good gun oil on it, down the barrel to prevent rust. Scrub the plug with the solution, dry it off and oil the threads. you should be good. Make sure the plug is totally dry before you put it back in the gun. Good luck.

I use the CVA barrel blaster solution just like i would solvent, then I run a patch with TC bore butter on it when Im done. For my breech plug, I soak it in a small cup of Barrel Blaster or Windex, scrub it with a plastic brush and blow the hole out with an air hose. I add a little bore butter to the threads when I put it away for storage.

I use the CVA barrel blaster solution just like i would solvent, then I run a patch with TC bore butter on it when Im done. For my breech plug, I soak it in a small cup of Barrel Blaster or Windex, scrub it with a plastic brush and blow the hole out with an air hose. I add a little bore butter to the threads when I put it away for storage.

x2 barrel blaster is the ticket , stuff works great . I shoot BH209 and the barrel blaster makes it very easy to clean the barrel after shooting , i push a brush between shots also when at the range just to try and mimic the clean barrel shot usually taken during hunting season .

Do not use the Bore Butter they suggest in the video. It is a rust inhibitor, not a preventative.

And traps any residual moisture. Better than noting but just barely. Use a quality protector that you

would use on any of your other rifles. Sheath is a good one. 

I think making sure the barrel is totally clean and 100% dry before you apply a rust inhibitor / preventative is key.....I've always used bore butter and never had a problem......I always use boiling water and the left over heat helps dry the barrel, and have even heated it with a blow dryer to be extra sure it's dry before using any type of rust inhibitor / preventative.

• Like 1

What ever method you choose, just be sure to clean the thing. A friend of mine let his muzzle loader sit for a year with out cleaning it and it ruined the gun. The bore got so corroded up that it wouldn't shoot anything close to a good group at 50 yds. i mean each shot was way  off from the shot before .  He ended up buying a new gun.

What gun and what powder are you using??? Montana Extreme makes a great product line of cleaning supplies . I just got some Butch's blackpowder bore shine and want to try that out

Ditch the bore butter if your asking me.

Edited by sbuff

When I shot black powder , this is how I did it. Take out the breach plug and place that end of the barrel into a bucket of Luke warm soapy water. I just used plain dish soap. Make the water a little on the soapy side. Then put your cleaning rod/patch down through the muzzle but wet the patch first, with the soapy water solution. Run the rod up and down the bore and you will notice that it causes a vacuum effect and will draw the water from the breach into the barrel.  Scrub it good and take the barrel out. dry off the out side and run dry patches through the bore until dry. Then run a clean patch   with some  good gun oil on it, down the barrel to prevent rust. Scrub the plug with the solution, dry it off and oil the threads. you should be good. Make sure the plug is totally dry before you put it back in the gun. Good luck.

I too have heard of this method, but the scope would have to come off a T/C first( if he has one attached).

Sbuff- Butch's bore shine is very good.

CLP Break-free is another good one which cleans, lubes, and protects.

Ever see those silica gel packs that resemble the shape of a powder pellet? Those might fit right down the bore during storage. They can usually be found in beef jerky packages.

Edited by PREDATE

Do not use the Bore Butter they suggest in the video. It is a rust inhibitor, not a preventative.

And traps any residual moisture. Better than noting but just barely. Use a quality protector that you

would use on any of your other rifles. Sheath is a good one. 

I looked at what it is I use and its the T-17. It works great and I have no issues with it. The rest of my firearms only get good old Remoil and I havent had any problems with that either.

I also use the cva barrel blaster. I run a wire brush through first then the barrel blaster. Let it sit for 30 min or more then run some patches through there. Let it sit a bit then oil it all up to be put away til the next time. It the best thing I have used.

• 4 weeks later...

Hot water, friction. I use sabot Barnes TMZ load where plastic contacts barrel, no copper. I wash threads with toothbrush and blast with compressed air from compressor. Follow with Rem Oil. Put plug back in and store muzzle down in my safe (keeps plug from filling with oil if I use too much).

More importantly, I use Blackhorn 209 powder substitute. That stuff burns very clean and I can shoot unlimited shots without cleaning in between. Just clean at the end of the day.

Blackhorn 209