Exhausted after taking these 2 for 2

shawnhu

Some people say "harvest".  Some people say "kill".  I personally use the phrase "take" or "took".  But lets be honest.  Whether you "harvested", "killed", or "took" a deer, the means and results are all the same.  They are all a result of a projectile going through a vital organ resulting in the end of it's life.  I don't think a deer would rather be "harvest" instead of "destroyed" or vice versa.

• Like 1

watch any of the pro's on the hunting show's, and the way some act and the phrases they use are pretty embarrassing and disrespectful........putting the "smack down" on any animal sounds like you beat it in the wrestling ring.......killing is what hunter's do.

watch any of the pro's on the hunting show's, and the way some act and the phrases they use are pretty embarrassing and disrespectful........putting the "smack down" on any animal sounds like you beat it in the wrestling ring.......killing is what hunter's do.

But worry not, Belo seems to rely on what the TV and magazines go by. His standards are probably on par with those folks he sees on TV. Speaks loads of what values he holds true.

I've been on a couple nuisance permits, some where the farmers partook in the killing....the one's he killed got dumped and buried..........wasteful, but totally legal and understandable . He looked at them like rats who destroyed his profit..........and I've also shot deer and brought the entire thing to a wildlife refuge and they feed them to the animals they are rehabilitating, didn't feel wasteful at all to me.

Edited by jjb4900

I've been on a couple nuisance permits, some where the farmers partook in the killing....the one's he killed got dumped and buried..........wasteful, but totally legal and understandable . He looked at them like rats who destroyed his profit..........and I've also shot deer and brought the entire thing to a wildlife refuge and they feed them to the animals they are rehabilitating, didn't feel wasteful at all to me.

Same could be said about folks that toss the ribs and other undesirable parts back to nature. I don't see anyone busting their chops for it.

I don't view the deer the same this farmer does, but if it needs to be done it needs to be done. I just happen to be the one he asked.

Same could be said about folks that toss the ribs and other undesirable parts back to nature. I don't see anyone busting their chops for it.

I don't view the deer the same this farmer does, but if it needs to be done it needs to be done. I just happen to be the one he asked.

yup, that was my train of thought, if you didn't want to do it, they will find someone else........got more than one phone call telling me if I didn't want to do it he would find someone else....had a lot of fun doing it and have no regrets.

yup, that was my train of thought, if you didn't want to do it, they will find someone else........got more than one phone call telling me if I didn't want to do it he would find someone else....had a lot of fun doing it and have no regrets.

It was actually a lot of work. 4 in one day. I do it to help a friend, use the meat myself, and give out the remaining to those who want it. I made offers here to whoever wants it too. I guess no one took me seriously.

It was actually a lot of work. 4 in one day. I do it to help a friend, use the meat myself, and give out the remaining to those who want it. I made offers here to whoever wants it too. I guess no one took me seriously.

nothing worse than having to deal with dead deer on a bug infested 100 degree night, I've been there............I won't say it wasn't fun, but sometimes the last thing you want to deal with.

• Like 1

Belo,

Don't make a habit of this, I don't want anyone accusing me of a downstater schooling an upstate 120MM safety manager.

Motor vehicle—means every vehicle or device operated by any power other than muscle power including but not limited to automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, trailers, motorboats, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, whether operated on or off public highways.

-DEC Regulations Handbook

i'm not going to get into a 3 page debate over tractors. You all know very well that a farmer shooting off his old farm tractor that's never seen a road or gone near one is not a jaw dropping OMG situation. That was my only point.

And yes, there is nothing wrong with having people take deer for you as a farmer. It's all legal. 3 pages ago a handful of people were more upset with your tone, meat wasting, word choice and lack of compassion for deer then the legal taking of the deer. I'd simply suggest that if you continue to do what you do that you don't post about it. I can't stop you and if you want to share your "destroying" with us, then you can continue to do so. I just have a different impression of who "you are" now. And to be honest, I'm sure you don't care, and I don't care what you think about me. I know how I hunt, the ethics and morals I have on a daily basis in life extended beyond hunting and that's enough for me to be happy about who I am.

• Like 2

Some people say "harvest".  Some people say "kill".  I personally use the phrase "take" or "took".  But lets be honest.  Whether you "harvested", "killed", or "took" a deer, the means and results are all the same.  They are all a result of a projectile going through a vital organ resulting in the end of it's life.  I don't think a deer would rather be "harvest" instead of "destroyed" or vice versa.

nothing wrong with kill and harvest... how do you feel about "destroy"?

agreed. But I never tell my wife I'm going out "killing". I'm going "hunting". that's the act of pursuing an animal, killing it, harvesting it and putting it to use. Going out "killing" to me, sounds like you're out to just kill whatever moves with no interest in a fair chase or harvesting the animal for eating.

Some people say "harvest". Some people say "kill". I personally use the phrase "take" or "took". But lets be honest. Whether you "harvested", "killed", or "took" a deer, the means and results are all the same. They are all a result of a projectile going through a vital organ resulting in the end of it's life. I don't think a deer would rather be "harvest" instead of "destroyed" or vice versa.

nothing wrong with kill and harvest... how do you feel about "destroy"?

agreed. But I never tell my wife I'm going out "killing". I'm going "hunting". that's the act of pursuing an animal, killing it, harvesting it and putting it to use. Going out "killing" to me, sounds like you're out to just kill whatever moves with no interest in a fair chase or harvesting the animal for eating.

Belo, the permit states to destroy deer, not hunt them, and not kill them. I'm stating what the permit states. You have a problem with that, take it up with the DEC and tell them to word it differently. While you're at it, have them exempt farm tractors as well, see how far that'll get you.

You're a funny fellow. You have a problem with the way I say things and what I and what not to post here, but you have NO problem spewing lies and encouraging others to engage in illegal and unethical activity. Like I said, quite a lot of hypocrites on this site. Do you think you or your buddies are above the law?

Belo,

Don't make a habit of this, I don't want anyone accusing me of a downstater schooling an upstate 120MM safety manager.

Motor vehicle—means every vehicle or device operated by any power other than muscle power including but not limited to automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, trailers, motorboats, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, whether operated on or off public highways.

-DEC Regulations Handbook

i'm not going to get into a 3 page debate over tractors. You all know very well that a farmer shooting off his old farm tractor that's never seen a road or gone near one is not a jaw dropping OMG situation. That was my only point.

And yes, there is nothing wrong with having people take deer for you as a farmer. It's all legal. 3 pages ago a handful of people were more upset with your tone, meat wasting, word choice and lack of compassion for deer then the legal taking of the deer. I'd simply suggest that if you continue to do what you do that you don't post about it. I can't stop you and if you want to share your "destroying" with us, then you can continue to do so. I just have a different impression of who "you are" now. And to be honest, I'm sure you don't care, and I don't care what you think about me. I know how I hunt, the ethics and morals I have on a daily basis in life extended beyond hunting and that's enough for me to be happy about who I am.

There's no debate, its illegal. Period.

A while back, the farmer, who's land I hunt, got a pile of nuisance permits, and me and my three buddies panned a trip down to the farm. At the last minute I couldn't go. They went out and right off the bat nailed a big doe. When they dressed it out, it was carrying 2 fawns. a buck and a doe. They were still squirming but of course they died. 

I know it's part of the deal and .....but not for me.

• Like 1

All the farmers around here do it... i carry my gun w me in the tractor but would get off to shoot at a deer.... a yote however wouldnt get that extra 15 seconds... the amish around here OFTEN have a loaded gun beside them on the buggy seat during hunting season (it IS a muscle powered vehicle i guess)

I have to ask where does all the deer damage happen. My property is in 8P. One of the biggest AG districts around. The farmer I lease to doesn't come around crying to me the deer are killing his living. He does tell us he has permits but I wouldn't use them. As far as I'm concerned I see more damage done by a sow with 3 cubs then a by the deer. I guess when the farmer outright owns the land he would rather kill anything that may come between him and a profit? Totally legal but under their (farmer) discretion. 

• Like 1

I have to ask where does all the deer damage happen. My property is in 8P. One of the biggest AG districts around. The farmer I lease to doesn't come around crying to me the deer are killing his living. He does tell us he has permits but I wouldn't use them. As far as I'm concerned I see more damage done by a sow with 3 cubs then a by the deer. I guess when the farmer outright owns the land he would rather kill anything that may come between him and a profit? Totally legal but under their (farmer) discretion. 

maybe you don't use them, but is someone else? could it be that some farmers claim crop loss to get government aid? who knows........I will say that down on L.I., a lot of farmers get $$$ from the government to have deer fences installed around their property, and I'm sure they have to show a loss in order to qualify...........farmings a tough way to make a living so I'm sure even a little loss is painful to the wallet.....the one nuisance permit I was on was at an airport, it was a safety issue because the deer would feed around the runways.............and it was closely monitored and regulated, just in case anyone wants to suggest having people shoot around a runway is a safety issue in itself.

Edited by jjb4900

The integrity of some of the members here is absolutely mind blowing. Keep promoting the illegal activity guys, but please keep it off my thread.

Nothing illegal about carrying a gun on a tractor.... its shooting from the tractor thats illegal

and im NOT promoting it! im just saying what ppl do around here...

• Like 1

Several years ago a farmer from Mendon was explaining on TV how much money the Family Farm business was losing each year ( several thousand dollars ) due to the nuisance deer coming from the parks to their crops . He said he had hunters reduce the deer numbers by shooting them

using permits .I visited the guy and got my foot in the door . Now 2 of my sons and myself help do this . I have never encountered a pregnant doe in mid July . It has been too hot to go out but I expect maybe this weekend or next week the weather may cool a bit .

We can also hunt the properties during Bow and Gun seasons .

The permit states :

"This permit authorizes the Killing and/or Harassing of deer causing damage to corn , beans , and grain by ; shooting . "

Several years ago a farmer from Mendon was explaining on TV how much money the Family Farm business was losing each year ( several thousand dollars ) due to the nuisance deer coming from the parks to their crops . He said he had hunters reduce the deer numbers by shooting them

using permits .I visited the guy and got my foot in the door . Now 2 of my sons and myself help do this . I have never encountered a pregnant doe in mid July . It has been too hot to go out but I expect maybe this weekend or next week the weather may cool a bit .

We can also hunt the properties during Bow and Gun seasons .

The permit states :

"This permit authorizes the Killing and/or Harassing of deer causing damage to corn , beans , and grain by ; shooting . "

not destroying? I know some guys who use these permit in late spring and that wouldn't be for me. Late summer shouldn't be to big an issue, early and it might affect some fawns. I know a guy that gets out during september. That always kind of bothers me, but his permit says no antlers? I don't know. always thought it was weird.

not destroying? I know some guys who use these permit in late spring and that wouldn't be for me. Late summer shouldn't be to big an issue, early and it might affect some fawns. I know a guy that gets out during september. That always kind of bothers me, but his permit says no antlers? I don't know. always thought it was weird.

some can be either sex tags........antlers must be turned over to the DEC, that's how the one i was on worked.

• 4 weeks later...