Holy Moly

fasteddie

I have neglected to shoot my bow in several months . It's the 1st time in many years that I have done this . I had cut and fletched some new arrows and wanted to try them out so I went down to my basement where I have an 11 yard range . Shot 18 times and I could feel it . I better get cracking and start shooting on a daily basis as Bow Season starts in less than 2 1/2 months .

Yea, I've also dropped the ball on the same issue. I really need to get out and shoot a pile of arrows because I had a new string/cables put on back in January. If you don't recall, I'll refresh your memory. I dropped the bow and loaded quiver out of the stand on the last day of the regular archery season..........she bounced up about 3' before she landed in a heap.

I figured a new set of strings/cables was due anyways..........grin

• Like 1

I started shooting a month ago and I could feel it. I've put about 300 shots into the target and two into a tree behind it lol. I am fortunate to have a place I can shoot at longer ranges. I've been practicing at 40, 50 and sometimes 60 yards. Last night I shot a few at 20 and 30, can't believe what practicing at longer distances did for my groups. I bought a new string but I'm not sure I want to mess with getting it put on this season the way I'm shooting inside 30 yards.

I'm behind too...usually I'm back to shooting by June, July the latest and I haven't launched an arrow yet.  Seems to be always something else going on this year and I have to switch out my cable before I start shooting.  Hopefully get that done in a week or two!

I'll shoot in the basement for a couple weeks before moving outside . Right now it's too hot to shoot outside anyway ......

I've been shooting in my basement for a few weeks now. I can get about 23 yards in my basement. If it ever cools off I'll head outside where I can shoot 100 yards if I want. I have a partially torn labrum in my shoulder so I need to keep shooting to keep my shoulder muscles from really feeling it. Also had to drop down to 62 pounds.

ArrowFlinger...Last year I had shoulder surgery; my labrum was 75% torn plus I had a small tear on my rotator cuff as well...I had the surgery on April 13 and after rehabbing it I was finally able to pull my bow back for the first time on Sept 30th...the day before opening day.  It feels really good these days for the most part but I have to keep certain limitations in mind.  Good luck with the shoulder!

ARG!!!  OK I will TRY to make this short...

I started this year in the end of March taking off for almost 3 months.  After shooting for 3-4 weeks, I added a 70 yard pin and started shooting more as it was becoming a better challenge.  Working more on form than concern for precision (I was using many types of arrows) I started to get a pinch in both shoulders, sharp pain.  I thought I was just overworking myself and stopped shooting...  Man that sucked!!!  After 2 plus months with no improvement I went to the Doc. 

Found out the numbness, pins and needle feeling in my hand was from a pinched nerve.  Herniated disk in the neck was what the MRI showed.  Neck injury from HS caused pulling on the shoulder muscles causing the shoulder pain...  OLD injury coming back to haunt me from over 25 years ago!  WOW I am getting old!

So after some prescribed drugs, physical therapy and now chiropractic care I can shoot again!!!  I tried shooting about 3 weeks ago(Had to test the waters!!!) and did not feel any pain.  I was so relieved!!!  

I dropped down to a 65 lb. Heli-M last year and I love the bow!  Did not want to have to drop down to a 55 but they are very effective with lighter arrows!  I shot yesterday for the second time and was happily relieved I was not in any pain after shooting about 40 arrows...  Now is the time I usually purchase a dozen arrows and use them until the season starts if I don't brake too many I will have 4 ready for the season. 

Two months plus is plenty of time to get ready IF you shoot 3 times a week or more you should be able to fix any form or bow issues...  Check your strings if they are questionable NOW is a great time to replace them.  Check and tighten everything just to be safe, I had my arrow rest move on me one time causing multiple issues until I realized it was loose! 

I know many bow hunters who shoot 3-4 times before season and think they are ok to shoot...  I commend your dedications to the sport if you are practicing now, you are probably more accurate than at least 90% of the people who only do it a week or two before they go... 

Lesson is if you shoot the bow you should work out your upper body, back, shoulders, neck and arms.  It will keep your form better if your body is in good shape...  Arg I need to start working out...  The range was my work out, now I will shoot less and walk the 20 acre course more, ahh the season is almost upon us!!!  Arrows...

had wrist surgery 6 weeks ago, this may be the first bow season I'll miss in 31 years.....I could probably get away with a low poundage bow, but not sure if I want to lay out the funds for the purchase.....only other option is getting lower poundage limbs for my Hoyt, but haven't really looked into that yet.

By the way guys...some may remember my mentioning dislocating my shoulder a couple of years ago ..the day I ordered the new bow...well I ended up at the DR.s and in a sling 6 or 8wks ..can't remember...and still had some pain every single day...but manageable...changed Dr's and at my spring appointment told him of the shoulder pain sorta off offhandedly ...he specializes in sports med. even though he's my general Dr....

I had figured it was one of those getting older and type of work I do pain...he stretch out my arm asked if it hurt ..yes..then twisted it quickly ..It was an audible pop! and sick stomach feeling of sharp pain...next day and since nothing...I tell you this because some times a full blown dislocation doesn't have to happen to cause problems...my shoulder had just never "seeded" properly and I didn't have to go through all those months managing the pain.

So when your practicing and a pain happens that doesn't quite go away...save your self the grief and let your Dr know....No pain is so much nicer than smelling like Ben-gay... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Was shooting some 3-D in the back yard after work and after a dozen or so shots I could sence a bit of strain in my left thumb. Of course that could be from the extra work at camp and expanding the plots, tilling, rocks, .. frickin rocks.