Help make NY a higher quality deer state

Santamour123

Sits...I do have to disagree with you on one thing...well amybe more than one...lol

Those remote areas of Ny that are so difficult to hunt and where sighting are so low have the ability to produce some of the largest buck in the state.

i think that was very true years ago, but there really hasn't been anything in the way of record books coming from that area in some time now. the biggest racks are taken on the eastern end of Long Island and the western tier, Steuben county and surrounding areas. you are right years back they did nail the occasional P&Y wall hanger up in the Dacks but not in quite some time now..i think that the forests have just become so mature in that region that whats needed to grow big bones is just no longer there.

People in the adirondack that hunt the big land are in small numbers and those big areas tend to be public.  I know some huge deer in the past years that would rival those western deer but people are smart up there and keep to themselves so the don't get everybody and their brother hunting the woods.

Those big deer are up in those woods and some of them die up in those woods.

Just because you don't see them in the news papers and magazines doesn't mean they don't exsist.

People in the adirondack that hunt the big land are in small numbers and those big areas tend to be public.  I know some huge deer in the past years that would rival those western deer but people are smart up there and keep to themselves so the don't get everybody and their brother hunting the woods.

Those big deer are up in those woods and some of them die up in those woods.

Just because you don't see them in the news papers and magazines doesn't mean they don't exsist.

well maybe i'm wrong, yea there could be big deer being taken up there provided everyone keeps tight lipped about it.

I don't know about the Adirondacks.  Yeah, there are some huge bucks in there, but generally you will be searching LONG and HARD before you find one.  If you have a decent place to hunt in western NY or on Long Island, you have way better chances of bagging a respectable to trophy sized buck with quite a bit less effort.  I am not saying that any trophy quality buck comes easy, but in general ones chances will be a lot better than in the Adirondacks.  Lots of people go to the Adirondacks and don't even see a deer.  At least in other places ones confidence can be boosted by seeing numerous deer even if they aren't the trophy bucks they are looking for.  I think the Adirondacks can be a nice wilderness experience, but no one should be overly optimistic that they will bring that trophy buck home or ANY buck for that matter.

I don't know about the Adirondacks.  Yeah, there are some huge bucks in there, but generally you will be searching LONG and HARD before you find one.  If you have a decent place to hunt in western NY or on Long Island, you have way better chances of bagging a respectable to trophy sized buck with quite a bit less effort.  I am not saying that any trophy quality buck comes easy, but in general ones chances will be a lot better than in the Adirondacks.  Lots of people go to the Adirondacks and don't even see a deer.  At least in other places ones confidence can be boosted by seeing numerous deer even if they aren't the trophy bucks they are looking for.  I think the Adirondacks can be a nice wilderness experience, but no one should be overly optimistic that they will bring that trophy buck home or ANY buck for that matter.

And My point of posting those....They are there...even where most of us think they aren't. AR would like the entire experience to be easier. I bet if you went wilderness and to a great 140 or better that one would be burned in your soul.

So if i buy a small game license and can shoot 6 rabbits a day i should be able to shoot more deer because the license costs more? come on... archers are limited by distance shootable so why not equate that to more days on the season..there is no point in that logic.. SZ (deer) gun hunters are the spoiled fat kid of hunting world here in NYS...

thanks for reminding me where the enabled entitlement problem lies when it comes to a thread on why NYS is not a high quality deer state....

SZ (deer) gun hunters are the spoiled fat kid of hunting world here in NYS...

Lol ..... So now we have bow hunters calling gun-hunters names and wanting to eliminate some of their season too. I guess that's only fair, usually it is the other way around. I guess that's what hunters do ..... they try to take season days from each other and then make disparaging remarks about each other. "Spoiled fat kid of hunting world"?????  It sure is interesting to watch. But maybe we should be a little more careful about who we want to run out and pick fights with. Bowhunters are still in the minority and there sure are a lot of them that would be more than happy to push us out of the deer season.  Don't come to a gun fight with a bow ..... lol. ;D  That's not the way the saying goes, but it still fits

Doc

Here is why there won’t ever be a shorter gun season it’s simple that’s where the money is. Not in the bow or ml season. When all the gun hunters go out and buy cross – bows to hunt the bow season and the bow season becomes the money maker then the gun season will get shorter.  Here one thing you could do if you think the gun season is to long STAY HOME HALF the gun season. I have killed almost as many deer with a bow as with a gun including 8 p&y’s  :O

Here is why there won’t ever be a shorter gun season it’s simple that’s where the money is. Not in the bow or ml season. When all the gun hunters go out and buy cross – bows to hunt the bow season and the bow season becomes the money maker then the gun season will get shorter.  Here one thing you could do if you think the gun season is to long STAY HOME HALF the gun season. I have killed almost as many deer with a bow as with a gun including 8 p&y’s  :)

I disagree.  The money is in the extra tags and priveleges people buy. You have to buy a regular licene to get the extras.  They will always sell regular tags regardless.  the ad ons make the money. Case in point muzzleloding. When the extra season started, it was flint o sidelock only and patched round balls with restricted areas, and if you got a deer, you had to use your regular season tag and be done. Only those of us who thought of the sport as a challenge and were to coin a phrase purists participated. So to sweeten the pot, you could purchase more tags to do so which meant you could harvest more deer. That was the states idea in the first place was for population control.  Then again to sweeten the pot any projectile and ignition was implemented. Poof before you knew it everyone has a muzzleloader and is paying extra for those priveleges, which means more money to the state.  But those same peole would still be buying a regular season tag if that special season had not been stated.  So again the money is in the extras. Not to mention the extra money in the federal coffers from all the sales of muzzleloaders and accessories, which NY gets a part of every year.  That is one reason Ny will not mess with archery seasons the fear eople will quit buying the extra privelege.  However mark my words within 2 years cross bows will be legal durign archery, so then everyone will buy a bow privelege the same as they all did when inlines and scopes became legal for muzzleloading.

The AR issue, when boiled down to it's core, is an attempt to allow more hunters to bag big bucks.  There are plenty of big bucks out there now, but you need to have a high level of knowledge and skill to bag them consistently.  That is something to strive for and be proud of.  It also gets well deserved praise.

If the AR issue is forced, bagging a big buck becomes something more hunters can do based on luck.  It will actually dilute the pride one can feel when that buck of a lifetime is harvested.  The accomplishment will no longer be seen as a meritorious event and looked upon more as commonplace.

I see that as detrimental to the core traditions and mystique of deer hunting and hope it doesn't ever come to that.

You seem to be missing the point of what AR is for. It's about creating age structure and bettering the buck to doe ratio in the herd not about making more big bucks. Yes , that is a by product of the program. But, is not the intent of AR's. And I hate to burst your bubble but I have been with the NYS Big Buck Club for many years and can attest to the fact that most of the bucks entered into the record book each year are a result of LUCK. And I haven't seen any reduction in pride in any of the guys that have harvested those bucks.